Your Book Activity - March 2019

Onion Budgie

Currently, and unusually, have two books on the go, even more unusual in that both are non-fiction:

Having had a few days on the northern French coast at the end of last month, I realised how little I knew of modern (post-Napoleonic) French history, outside the world wars and a smattering of other bits and pieces - certainly no coherent framework.  So started Jonathan Fenby's A History of Modern France.  It's a solid and interesting enough read so far, although his style of writing is a bit abrupt for me, and because some of the names are unfamiliar, I have little handle on much of the detail.  I am putting that freamework together though1

The other book is Charlie Pye-Smith's Land of Plenty, about farming and food production in this country - rather topical with the exercise in national self-harm swirling around us. Lucidly written, it's enjoyably educational! 

I've almost finished Hello Darling, Are You Working?.  It's been fun!  Very silly and overblown, which sometimes you just need in a book, you know?

Next up is The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, which I'm so excited for.  I've only heard good things about it.

I also caved in and read the rest of the web-comic series of Heartstopper by Alice Oseman.  I know, @Athena --  I did say I was going to wait for the paperback version of Volume 2 to come out in July, but..... I COULDN'T WAIT!  I wanted to know what happened next!  So now I'm all up to date, and it's DELICIOUS, and I'm still going to get the paperback, so all's good.  :D  (When it comes to books, I have little self-control.)

On 3/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, Onion Budgie said:

Next up is The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, which I'm so excited for.  I've only heard good things about it.

I look forward to hear your thoughts on it, I've heard some mixed reviews so would love to hear some more opinions on it :).

On 3/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I also caved in and read the rest of the web-comic series of Heartstopper by Alice Oseman.  I know, @Athena --  I did say I was going to wait for the paperback version of Volume 2 to come out in July, but..... I COULDN'T WAIT!  I wanted to know what happened next!  So now I'm all up to date, and it's DELICIOUS, and I'm still going to get the paperback, so all's good.  :D  (When it comes to books, I have little self-control.)

Haha, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D!

I'm currently reading The Question of the Dead Mistress, book 5 in the An Asperger's Mystery series, by E. J. Copperman and Jeff Cohen. So far it's good :).

I'm currently reading three books: The Environment Equation: 100 Factors That Can Add to or Subtract from Your Total Carbon Footprint by Alex Shimo-Barry, Karhumies by Vesa Tuominen and Ilman minua by Marie Descheplin (the original title is Sans Moi, I don't know if it's been translated into English). 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, Athena said:

I look forward to hear your thoughts on it, I've heard some mixed reviews so would love to hear some more opinions on it :).

I'm just over 100 pages into it, and it's already tying my brain up into knots!  It's BRILLIANT.  It must have been an absolute doozy for the author to plot out.  I haven't been so excited about a novel in a long while.  :exc:

Edited by Onion Budgie

I finished reading 'The Twelve' by Justin Cronin a couple of days ago and now, I'm about 150 pages into 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest', by Stieg Larsson. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm currently reading Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers, book 3 in the Wayfarers series. I've not been reading a lot the past few days. I loved the first two books in this series, but I've been having a bit of trouble keeping the characters of this book apart. I'm about halfway through and it's getting easier, but so far we've only interacted with one alien and I want to see more aliens! Most of the POV characters in this book are humans and I want more alien species haha. But maybe the second half will be better. There were different characters in the first and second book, though one of the main characters of book 3 is a sibling of a character we meet in book 1.

I am currently reading 'Kingdom of Ash' the final book in the Throne of Glass series. I'm about half way through and it's shaping up to be a great finale. I love how all the character's stories are coming together. I will be sad when it's over.

In the last couple of weeks, I have finished Nomad (quite good), read Elevation by Stephen King (interesting concept to begin with, weird ending), had a birthday and had Mothering Sunday (today). I'm pretty sure that I got no books last year for my birthday but this one I had quite a lot. :D

From the kids I got TWoT book 14 (for when I finally get to it) and a new Tad Williams - The Witchwood Crown - which I am quite excited about and from hubby I got Frank Turner's Try This at Home (signed and limited edition with my name listed in the sleeve)

Then I got a voucher from my sister with which I bought If I die before I wake by Emily Koch, Dear Mrs Bird by A J Pearce, Transcription by Kate Atkinson and The Western Wind by Samantha Harvey.

Finally, for Mother's Day, my kids (husband) took a punt on getting me a new trilogy I'd never heard of - The Shades of Magic trilogy by V E Schwab, which looks very cool.

Anyway, I have already read If I die before I wake, which I loved, even though I wanted it to end in a slightly different manner.

I've now started Dear Mrs Bird, which I like the writing style of so far.

I'm hoping this is the year I really manage to recapture my reading bug! I'll need to - I've got too much to get through now! ^_^

Edited by More reading time required

• Athena unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 6:30 PM, Chrissy said:

Now I am struggling to settle on my next read, Dan Brown's Origin. I can usually fly through his books, as they don't take any work to read, but I am finding the same old style a liitle grating this time around. I may leave it for the time being and find something a little more engaging. 

I love trashy books that don't require much soul searching so usually devour Dan Brown books, but I too found this very plodding. The usual jumping around the world fast paced tale is rather stilted I found. Easily my least favourite of his Langdon books.