Introducing Paperback Bliss

Paperback Bliss

I never know what to say in these introduction things but here goes...

My name is Karen and I am in my mid-to-late-30's - I'd like to say mid but unfortunately I think it's more late now - I've been a reader since I was little but have lost my way a little recently due to various reasons and want to get back on track.

I've been looking for a book club or group to join but as I suffer from social anxiety a real live book group just wasn't for me. I'm much more comfortable online so when I came across Book Club Forum during my Google search it seemed ideal. I'm hoping to make some new friends as well as find some like-minded people to discuss my love of reading with.  Saying that after browsing the site for a while before joining I think the members on here are much more well read than me - I tend to read a lot of contemporary, chick lit, romance, young adult etc. but as there are sections on here for all those things I'm hoping my reading tastes won't be looked down or frowned upon. I am hoping to broaden my horizons a little as my tastes are changing; I'm really into crime thrillers at the moment.

I probably have well over a thousand physical books but am having a major cull. My plan is to either re-read or read a lot of my books for the first time and then donate most of them to either charity or my local library. I'm going to be quite drastic about it and only keep my absolute favourites as I just don't have the room to keep them all. I'm also hoping to move house within the next year or so, so it seems like a good idea to have a cull sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I've recently downloaded the first book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabalden. I've never read it before, don't know that much about it and have never seen the television show but have heard good things about it so thought I'd take the plunge and give it a go. It is quite daunting though as the books are HUGE and a little out of my comfort zone genre wise so I would love to find a few other people who might be interested in reading it along side me. I think it would help me to be able to discuss it as I went. Is there anyone on here who would be interested in joining me?

I think that's about it but if there is anything I've left out or you want to know just ask.

Welcome here, Karen :)!

I don't think anyone here looks down on another for their reading tastes, so you don't need to be worried about that :). We are a friendly bunch.

I read a lot of contemporary fiction too, it's my favourite genre. It's always nice to find another person who loves young-adult books, too!

What are some of your favourite authors (or books)?

I know some people on here have read and loved the Outlander books. It's true, they are huge! I hope you find someone who wants to read them with you :).

There are some people on here who read crime thrillers, so maybe you'll find some books in common :).

Good luck with your cull! It does seem to be a good idea to do that before a move rather than later.

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum!

I can promise that nobody here will look down on your reading tastes, I read a lot of different genres and I know other people here do too. Also everybody is really nice and not at all judgemental :) 

Good luck with the book cull. I find it hard to decide which books to get rid of, but at least it's nice to be able to give lots of books to charity or to a local library!

I'm trying not to buy any more books until I've got through some of my huge unread pile, otherwise I would join you with Outlander. As Athena said though, there are definitely members on here who've already read and loved the books, so it might be worth starting a discussion thread on it, if you want to talk about it while you read :) 

Welcome Karen!! Lovely to have you here. Don't worry about your reading preferences being a poor fit. We are a varied bunch of readers and always have been. Also this has always been a very friendly forum and I've never encountered any book snobbery and I've been here 12 years or so. In fact the only thing that would be frowned upon here would be book snobbery I think!

Good luck with the book cull! That's always a challenge.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it's always a little daunting joining a well established site such as this one.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

What are some of your favourite authors (or books)?

Well, I've just recently read the first nine books in the D.I. Kim Stone series by Angela Marsons and am completely hooked.  She has definitely become a must buy author for me, certainly that series has anyway, I'm not sure if she has written anything else.

I adore the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery too, although I have only read the first five books in this series so I want to re-read and complete that soon.

I also love Harry Potter and really, really want to do a re-read of this series soon too as its been a while since I last read it. I'm getting more and more in the mood to read an old favourite and reading this series always makes me feel like I'm catching up with old friends.

I also like books by authors such as Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell, Kristan Higgins etc. as you can usually guarantee a light, easy, entertaining read.  My reading taste varies depending on my mood.

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Good luck with the book cull. I find it hard to decide which books to get rid of, but at least it's nice to be able to give lots of books to charity or to a local library!

Me too, but I think I need to be quite harsh about it so I'm planning on keeping only the books that fit into one of the following: 4 or 5 star reads, books that are signed by the author, books that mean something to me (i.e. childhood favourite, favourite author, series etc.).

That's the plan anyway, although I'm sure I won't be quite so blasé about it when it actually comes to giving them away though!

23 minutes ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Also this has always been a very friendly forum and I've never encountered any book snobbery and I've been here 12 years or so. In fact the only thing that would be frowned upon here would be book snobbery I think!

That's good to know, thanks Andrea.

• 2 months later...