First Line of the Book You're Reading

Hayley

Baynard's Castle, London, England, November 1501

I am to wear white and green, as a Tudor princess. Really, I think of myself as the one and only Tudor princess, for my sister Mary is too young to do more than be brought in by her nurse at supper time, and taken out again. 

Three Sisters Three Queens 

by Philippa Gregory 

Edited by Lau_Lou

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The man in the green hat always got on at Bercy, always via the doors at the front of the carriage, and then exited via the same doors at La Motte-Picquet-Grenelle, exactly seventeen minutes later.

The Girl Who Reads on the Metro by Christine Feret-Fleury

We rowed out through the harbour, past bobbing boats weeping rust from their seams, past juries of silent seabirds roosting atop barnacled remains of sunken docks, past fishermen who lowered their nets to stare frozenly as we slipped by, uncertain whether we were real or imagined; a procession of waterborne ghosts, or ghosts soon to be.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the way the world ends. Again. Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, a woman living an ordinary life in a small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. 

Every age must come to an end. N. K. Jemisin, The Fifth Season 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

SPRING 1521

I could hear a roll of muffled drums. But I could see nothing but the lacing of the bodice of the lady in front of me, blocking my view of the scaffold. I had been at this court for more than a year and attended hundreds of festivities; but never before one like this. 

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Edited by Lau_Lou
changing incorrect spelling of word.

• 3 months later...

'We start at midwinter, when most plant life is dormant'. 

Botanical Folk Tales of Britain and Ireland by Lisa Schneidau 

and (because, unusually for me, I'm reading two books at once)

'Whenever I am unable to walk, climb or sail away from the world, I have learned to shut it out'.

Silence in the Age of Noise by Erling Kagge

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The really weird thing about it was that although I knew, instantly, that something was wrong - very, very wrong, something sharp,something very serious; an insult to my entire body - I couldn't stop laughing. Laughing hysterically. 

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop In Paris by Jenny Colgan 

• 11 months later...

The morning one of the lost twins returned to Mallard, Lou LeBon ran to the diner to break the news, and even now, many years later, everyone remembers the shock of sweaty Lou pushing through thr glass doors, chest heaving, neckline darkened with his own effort.

The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps if Morton had not stopped to mop his brow in that precise spot, he might never have noticed the black-and-white house.

‘A Study in Black and White’ by Bridget Collins (in The Haunting Season: Ghostly Tales for Long Winter Nights