First Line of the Book You're Reading

Hayley

"The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon." It is the fourth time that i am reading this book and the symbolism in William Golding's Lord of the Flies gets me every time. Sometimes i feel like business majors and politicians should be forcefully made to read this as it is a great study of human nature and especially the various shifts that go through in the boys group(s). If one were to pay close attention, the resonances are unmistakable with our times and even i would go as far to say our lives.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was the moustache that reminded me I was no longer in England: a solid, grey millipede obscuring the man's upper lip; a village people moustache, a cowboy moustache, the miniature head of a broom that meant business. You just didn't get that kind of moustache at home. I couldn't tear my eyes from it. Still Me by JoJo Moyes

• 4 weeks later...

'The relations between Douglas Stone and the notorious Lady Sannox were very well known both among the fashionable circles of which she was a brilliant member, and the scientific bodies which numbered him among their most illustrious confrères

The Case of Lady Sannox by Arthur Conan Doyle (in Tales of Unease)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest harsht07

"My father was peering at me over his newspaper, watching in disgust as I sprinkled yet another spoonful of sugar on my grapefruit." Life of the Party

On 30/03/2020 at 9:00 AM, cowolter said:

"My father was peering at me over his newspaper, watching in disgust as I sprinkled yet another spoonful of sugar on my grapefruit." Life of the Party

Wow, I just had a spectacular miss-read of that first sentence! 

"Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."

Emma by Jane Austen