First Line of the Book You're Reading

Hayley

I actually thought we already had a thread of this but I can't find it so maybe I imagined it! I see the question on twitter sometimes and always find it interesting to read the answers, so what's the first line (sentence) of the book you're currently reading?

Mine's:

'My sainted mother taught me the seven acts of corporeal mercy: to feed the hungry; refresh the thirsty; clothe the naked; shelter the traveller; comfort the sick; visit those imprisoned; and bury the dead.' (The Corset by Laura Purcell)

(which I think might win the prize for most semicolon's in a first sentence :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.2.2019 at 1:41 PM, Hayley said:

I actually thought we already had a thread of this but I can't find it so maybe I imagined it! 

We do/did have a thread for this, so you are definitely not imagining it :D  I don't know why you couldn't find it, though. Just as well that you started a new one! :smile2:

All my current reads are in Finnish so I won't bother with the first lines this time :)

'I'd like to remark at the outset that I'm a girl with better than an average brain.'

~ The Golden Tresses of the Dead by Alan Bradley

Followed by (because it's so funny) ...

'Just as some people are given the gift of  singular and often quite remarkable talent - such as Violet Cornish's uncanny ability to break wind to the tune of "Joy to the World" - I myself, in much the same way, have been blessed with the power of logical thinking. As Violet could easily confirm, it's something you're born with, and then improve on by much practice.'

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, frankie said:

We do/did have a thread for this, so you are definitely not imagining it :D  I don't know why you couldn't find it, though. Just as well that you started a new one! :smile2:

I'm so glad somebody else remembers it! I really did think I'd imagined it! I wonder why I couldn't find it though... if I look again now it will probably be right there :blush:.

'To be honest, I haven't been able to remember clearly everything that happened to me before and during the Trial, so where necessary I've filled in with possibilities - lies, if you want.' - Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...