Books That Make You Hungry

Hayley

The book I'm reading at the moment has a lot of food descriptions that make me feel hungry just reading them, which made me think about food in books generally and how the descriptions make us want to eat certain things. So, are there any books that make you feel hungry? 

Here's mine:

'We shuffled along the food queue and picked out some corn on the cob that oozed butter, then helped ourselves to rice and chicken' then 'After the jam roly-poly, apple crumble and bread-and-butter pudding had been consumed with about two gallons of custard […]' (Jasper Fforde - Early Riser)

Mmmm, buttery corn on the cob and jam roly-poly with custard :wub:

The Harry Potter books always made me feel hungry, as they seemed to be eating most of the time!  Donna Leon's Brunetti books also have quite a lot of food in them, as the main character's wife is a good cook, and he's always thinking about his next meal.  That description from the Jasper Fforde is quite mouth-watering (not very healthy though;)).

I do like it when nice food is discussed in books :).

I loved the descriptions of the food sold in The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond (in the Beach Café, obviously), those rolls sounded yummy!

Some of the Geronimo Stilton books feature food too (with illustrations), so I like that (a few have recipes).

Some fantasy books talk about food. Though sometimes I find it off-putting too if it's something that doesn't sound appealing to me haha.

I do enjoy reading about food in books :). Great idea for a topic :)!

Harry Potter makes me crave old fashioned food - treacle tart or lemon sherbert sweets for example. And butterbeer? That sounds delicious, and I have seen recipes for making your own. 

I used to find the James Patterson Alex Cross series also made me hungry at times, especially when any food made by Nana Mama (Alex Cross' Grandmother) was mentioned.

I recall Twilight made me want to have mushroom ravioli / tortellini, but I cannot remember whether that was from the book or film. 

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with the Harry Potter books, I forgot about those. The hot buttered toast at breakfast always sounded particularly good for some reason!

@Chrissy I'm going to have to google making your own butterbeer now!

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, Madeleine said:

That description from the Jasper Fforde is quite mouth-watering (not very healthy though;)).

The corn, under the butter, was healthy :D

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Athena said:

Some of the Geronimo Stilton books feature food too (with illustrations), so I like that (a few have recipes).

I didn't think of illustrations, that's another good point. I do remember reading a book as a child that always made me want to eat jam tarts, because there was a picture of them laid out on a table. I think it was one of the Spot books by Eric Hill but I have no idea which one. I like that the Geronimo Stilton books even have recipes!