Publisher Interview - Mortons of Horncastle

This is something a little bit different and, I believe, the first time we've had a publisher interview so do let me know what you think (either here or via a direct message) and whether you'd be interested in similar interviews in the future.

Mortons are a printers and independent publishers with a fascinating history going back to the 19th century (seriously, it even involves shipwreck! You can read their full history on their website https://www.mortons.co.uk/dates.html ). Now they're looking for authors. I spoke to Steven O'Hara about their exciting new project... 

So, I understand that Morton's long history has involved a range of newspaper, magazine and bookazine publishing. Now, for the first time, the company will be branching out into book publishing...

Where did this decision come from?

We have built up a significant archive of content and have lots of exceptional Authors that we work with. So it was a natural progression from our magazines to bookazines and now into the world of books.

What types of books are you hoping to publish?

We are not restricting the areas that we plan to operate in, but starting where we are strong in non-fiction.

Could you tell us a little bit about the publishing process? Say a book comes in that's just what you're looking for, what happens next?

Once we have a good idea to work with, the team here will work with the Author to polish the idea. Once we are happy that we have a good chance of success we will agree timings and commercials.

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

We really want to work with you so get in touch, you have the ideas and the creatives to bring your passions to life. We want to help find a commercial route for you.

What's the best way for readers to support independent publishers like yourselves?

It’s so important that we know what readers like, this will ensure that we can offer new books to the right people.

I know there are some wonderfully talented people on the forum, so if you have an idea, or even a book in progress, you can email Steve directly at SOHara@Mortons.co.uk. They plan to review and respond to every idea sent to them so hopefully we'll be seeing some interesting new books from Mortons! 

What an inspiring read; especially the encouragement for writers. It's interesting to hear things from a publishers perspective and how they work. 

Thanks for the interview Hayley, it has stirred my thoughts.