Club reads all but the last chapter, discusses "Who dunnit?"

BobCole

Sorry for the double posting, but I lost the thread from earlier, and can't seem to locate it through the search function.

I'm looking for a recommendation for an Agatha Christie, or similar, mystery, for our Mystery Book Club.  The idea: the members read up to a certain page, and stop before the mystery is revealed.  At the book club meeting, we debate "Who dunnit?"  We then read the final chapter together and find out how smart we are/are not.

For practicality's sake, I'd like to find a book which wraps up the story in relatively few pages, so that even the slowest reader can finish during the meeting.  I'd also like a good mystery, of course.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give.

I cannot find my copy to confirm, but I think Agatha Christie's 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' might meet your requirements. 

It is quite tricky to remember with the who dunnits how they specificially play out (how many chapters conclude the mystery etc), you just remember that they did! 

Good luck finding some more titles.

I actually came here to say The Murder of Roger Ackroyd too. I don't know where my copy is either but I'm fairly sure it's a shock final chapter reveal, and it's a notoriously difficult mystery to solve.

You could also go for any of the Sherlock Holmes stories, they always have a big reveal at the end. I think The Hound of the Baskervilles would make a good discussion, or, if you wanted to go for a shorter story, The Speckled Band is good (although the murderer is much easier to work out than the method in that one!) 

It sounds like a really fun idea, you'll have to let us know how it works out!