E. Gardner & Son Holy Bible

Niall

Hello all! I'm brand new here so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section. I recently bought a bible off eBay for no other reason than I thought it was beautiful and at a good price, an investment perhaps. Unfortunately I know very little about what I bought, I'm not religious and I'm dyslexic so my knowledge of books in general is fairly limited. I have done some research on line to try and find out a little more about it, the printers, how many were produced, what was it for (church only or households too)? and of course; how much is it worth? On the price front I've seen much bibles in much worse condition going for over £200... though I'm rarely lucky enough to get a bargain like that. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read, and comment. Please see the link below for some photos that I think will be helpful (I've no idea how to upload photos direclty here). In case the photos aren't clear the cover is leather and it was printed in 1856.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/niallhunterphotography/holy-bible/

It looks like it was a family / household bible, the names listed on the page you show looks like family entries.

Looking up the E. Gardner on the internet, I found this ;  E. Gardner and Son, Oxford Bible Warehouse, Paternoster Row.  In the mid 1800's Pasternoster Row in London was a booksellers street. 

Beyond that I haven't found anything specific that would give information about the family names mentioned, it's value or anything. Good luck finding out thouugh. 

21 hours ago, Chrissy said:

It looks like it was a family / household bible, the names listed on the page you show looks like family entries.

Looking up the E. Gardner on the internet, I found this ;  E. Gardner and Son, Oxford Bible Warehouse, Paternoster Row.  In the mid 1800's Pasternoster Row in London was a booksellers street. 

Beyond that I haven't found anything specific that would give information about the family names mentioned, it's value or anything. Good luck finding out thouugh. 

Thank you Chrissy, since my post I've searched further and found the same info. Knowing this means I think I need to get in touch with the OUP (Oxford University Press). This however has created more mystery. Being printed by the OUP means the Bible should bare an emblem of an open book surrounded by 3 crowns and it doesn't. Further more after looking over their archive of Bibles printed mine is not listed. And one more thing; I believe around the time of printing the OUP at Paternoster Row was being rebuild after fire. All of the above peculiarities may have something to do with the involvement of J. and C. Mozley of Derby. This can be seen on the inner page which I forgot to include in my Pinterest photos but has since been added. Odd at any rate.