Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Signing Up   11/06/2018

      Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

      May Supporter Giveaway   05/03/2019

      It's May! The height of spring and a truly beautiful time of year so, when I saw this beautiful book cover, I knew we had to have it for the giveaway! May's winner will also receive the very first, completely unique, BCF bookmark!     As always, supporters will be entered into the giveaway automatically and a winner will be chosen at random at the end of the month. If you want to enter the giveaway but aren't currently a supporter, you can become one at https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.
muggle not

Muggle Not's Reading List - 2019

Recommended Posts

It's actually a novella, part of the wider Inspector Gamache series, but on Amazon it says it's only 98 pages!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It's actually a novella, part of the wider Inspector Gamache series, but on Amazon it says it's only 98 pages!

True, but it is still part of the Inspector Gamache Series. Yes, it is only about 96 pages. I am now reading Glass Houses by Louise Penny. Our library has 15 of the books in the series and I am just reading them as they become available at the library rather than wait to read them in sequence.

Edited by muggle not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good series, some of the books have different titles though in the UK and US, and they've changed some of the UK editions now to have the US titles, so it gets a bit confusing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens continues to be one of the most popular books in the U.S. In our library in Greensboro, NC the hold list for the kindle version is huge:

 

Library Copies: 61

People waiting in total: 1722

People waiting per copy: 28

 

 

Edited by muggle not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15. Glass Houses - Louise Penny - 3/5 - enjoyable read

16.Jet - Russell Blake - 3/5 - fast paced and enjoyable

17. Bury Your Dead - Louise Penny - 3/5 enjoyable read

18. The Priory of the Orange Tree - 4/5 - I really enjoyed this book although in the first third of the book there was some slow paced reading. maybe I should have given the book a 3.5 rating but I am glad that I read it. It is huge as it is 835 pages long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of the Louise Penny books have you read now, Muggles?

I'm only up to No. 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, muggle not said:

18. The Priory of the Orange Tree - 4/5 - I really enjoyed this book although in the first third of the book there was some slow paced reading. maybe I should have given the book a 3.5 rating but I am glad that I read it. It is huge as it is 835 pages long.

 

I have this one on my wishlist, I'm waiting for a smaller sized paperback release though. It's good to know you liked it :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 11:38 PM, poppy said:

How many of the Louise Penny books have you read now, Muggles?

I'm only up to No. 3.

I have read 3 of her books but one was a Novella. It is time for me to read another of hers. I am still on hold at the library for the first book in the series; Are you getting close at the library for the book by Delia Owens.

 

 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:43 AM, Athena said:

 

I have this one on my wishlist, I'm waiting for a smaller sized paperback release though. It's good to know you liked it :).

What has been your favorite book so far this year. I am always looking for a good read. :)

Edited by muggle not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, muggle not said:

What has been your favorite book so far this year. I am always looking for a good read. :)

 

I had a look through my list, and while I've read some nice books this year, there's only a couple that'd be called favourites, most of the books I read range from enjoyable but not perfect to meh it's okay. I don't think the favourite books are what you'd be interested in though, but I'll list them anyway.

 

Bianca Toeps - Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit (Dutch autism memoir I recently read)
Debbie Tung - Book Love (comic strips about books and reading)
Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir about a woman with bipolar disorder)
Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau - Bloom (graphic novel about two teenage boys in a bakery)

 

I hadn't really noticed that most of the books I've been reading, have been enjoyable but not perfect, and not many new favourites!

So, thanks for bringing that up, maybe I need to be more selective of what I choose to read, or something. I don't know. Maybe I've become more critical! I'm trying to be :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, muggle not said:

I have read 3 of her books but one was a Novella. It is time for me to read another of hers. I am still on hold at the library for the first book in the series; Are you getting close at the library for the book by Delia Owens.

 

 

 

 

I'm second in line now, Muggle 😊

I think reading the first Inspector Gamache book will give you a little more background to a lot of the recurring characters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 3:56 AM, poppy said:

 

I'm second in line now, Muggle 😊

I think reading the first Inspector Gamache book will give you a little more background to a lot of the recurring characters. 

Louise Penny is a very popular author in the U.S. I am only #38 in line on Still Life by Penny. Take a look at the number of holds on book #1, Still Life, in the series.:

Your place in line: 38

Library copies: 6

People waiting in total: 116

People waiting per copy: 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19. Elevation - Stephen King - 3.5/5 - A relatively short story by Stephen King but I enjoyed it. Doesn't compare though to his other books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, muggle not said:

Louise Penny is a very popular author in the U.S. I am only #38 in line on Still Life by Penny. Take a look at the number of holds on book #1, Still Life, in the series.:

Your place in line: 38

Library copies: 6

People waiting in total: 116

People waiting per copy: 19

 

Would it be worth getting it on Kindle instead, Muggle? The earlier ones are quite cheap for you. Depends how patient you are 😄

If I saw a waiting list like that, I'd give up 😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I bought Still Life from Amazon for my kindle. I also put book #2 of the Series on hold at the library. I am #31 on the wait list but there are 6 or 8 copies. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, muggle not said:

OK, I bought Still Life from Amazon for my kindle. I also put book #2 of the Series on hold at the library. I am #31 on the wait list but there are 6 or 8 copies. :)

 

Hope you enjoy it, Muggles :)

I gave book one a 3.5  - 4 star rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×