Muggle Not's Reading List - 2019

muggle not

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, muggle not said:

21. The Cruelest Month - Louise Penny - 4/5. This may  be one of my favorites of the Armand Gamache series by Penny Louise, at least so far. :)

Started this a while ago and got sidetracked onto other books. Will get back to it soon. I wonder if it's always winter in Three Pines? :cold:Glad you're enjoying the series Muggle :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muggle not, I admire you for using the library and waiting in line for your turn to get particular titles! It reminds me of my parents, my little brother and I going to the library when I was a kid. The delayed gratification of having to wait all adds to making a book more enjoyable! Unless a book you expected to be great was terrible of course...:huh:

On 6/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, vodkafan said:

Muggle not, I admire you for using the library and waiting in line for your turn to get particular titles! It reminds me of my parents, my little brother and I going to the library when I was a kid. The delayed gratification of having to wait all adds to making a book more enjoyable! Unless a book you expected to be great was terrible of course...:huh:

Thanks. I have borrowed 20 books so far this year from the library, considerably less than usual. Our library allows us to keep 6 books on hold at a given time. I usually put a hold on the new releases and/or more popular books. I don't mind waiting for them to become available. There are many other books that I am interested in that are available immediately for me to download to my kindle while I wait on the others.

Sometimes I will buy a book for my kindle if I want to keep the book or if I want to read it immediately. I usually purchase  about 3 or 4 digital books a year.

I really love libraries and believe they are a great source for books.

22. War of the Wolf (book #11 of the Saxon Series) - Bernard Cornwell - 3.5/5 - enjoyable but not one of the best in the Saxon Series. Still though, I continue to learn a lot about the beginning of England.

• 4 weeks later...

23. The Cruelest Month - Louise Penny - 3.5/5 - Good read. typical book by Louise Penny who is becoming one of my current favorite authors. Her books are simply enjoyable to read. Good stories and her description along the way is great.

The Book Section of our Sunday newspaper shows "Where The Crawdads Sing" as still no 1 on the most popular list. What a great book it is.

Edited by muggle not

• 1 month later...

24. A Rule Against Murder - Louise Penny - 3/5 - enjoyable read but not one of her best books. :)

I have gone 3 to 4 weeks now without reading a book. Probably the longest in many a year. Waiting on the Golden Compass at the library. I am #9 and they have 5 copies so it should be available soon.

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

I have gone 3 to 4 weeks now without reading a book. Probably the longest in many a year. Waiting on the Golden Compass at the library. I am #9 and they have 5 copies so it should be available soon.

Wow Muggle! :icon_eek:  Are you worried if you start one now you might not finish it before The Golden Compass becomes available?

• 2 weeks later...

many of my book requests from the library are going to come available at the same time. Yesterday I downloaded 2 books. Redemption by David Baldacci and Early Riser by Jasper Fforde. I have 2 or 3 others that will be available any day now. I am #2 on the hold list for Golden Compass and they have 5 ebooks.

Edited by muggle not

25. Redemption - David Baldacci - 3.5/10 - good read but not one of his best books

26. Early Riser - Jasper Fforde - 3.5/10 - very good read but I prefer the Tueday Next books. This book had me wondering in amazement of the brain that Fforde must have. How does he come up with the content in the story, and I mean the entire content. Good writing by Fforde in this book.

Louise Penny's newest book is #1 in the U.S. replacing Where the Crawdads Sing which was #1 for the better part of the last 12 months. There is another new book just released by William Kent Krueger (Tender Land) that I hear is outstanding. I am requesting the library to purchase the kindle version.

Edited by muggle not

I am really anxious to read "This Tender Land" by William Kent Krueger. I have read all of his books and this one is supposed to have the makings of a classic. I hope the library purchases the book soon or I may be forced to actually purchase it. :) 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:06 AM, poppy said:

Wow! It must be outstanding to replace WTCS!

It may be that everyone in the U.S. has now read Where The Crawdads Sing.

For forum members, if you haven't read Where The Crawdads Sing, please do so as you will find it a very enjoyable read.

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

I do like the Thursday Next books better than 'Early Riser', but Fforde does just have a brilliant imagination doesn't he?

I hope the library get 'This Tender Land' in for you soon!

The library did purchase This Tender Land. I am #10 on the hold list and they currently have 2 kindle copies so it may be 10 weeks before I get it. I may break down and buy the book, depending on how many other library books I get in the meantime. 

3 hours ago, muggle not said:

The library did purchase This Tender Land. I am #10 on the hold list and they currently have 2 kindle copies so it may be 10 weeks before I get it. I may break down and buy the book, depending on how many other library books I get in the meantime. 

Sometimes having to wait ages for a book makes it more exciting to read, at least :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I recently finished reading the Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. Overall, I give the Trilogy a 4.5 rating. Excellent writing and storytelling. The books are about equal in enjoyment with maybe Golden Compass having a slight edge, maybe. I am anxious for HBO to make the TV production of the books. 

27. The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

28. The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

29. The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

Just started reading another Louise Penny book.....Beautiful Mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

30. The Wonderful Mystery - Louise Penny - 3.5/5 - Another enjoyable Louise Penny read. Ih this book though a surprise occurs, near the end of the book. I am anxious to read book 10 in the series to find out what happens.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, muggle not said:

I recently finished reading the Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. Overall, I give the Trilogy a 4.5 rating. Excellent writing and storytelling. The books are about equal in enjoyment with maybe Golden Compass having a slight edge, maybe. I am anxious for HBO to make the TV production of the books. 

27. The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

28. The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

29. The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman - 4.5 / 5

Oh muggle not, I am so glad you enjoyed them! :) What a world Mr Pullman created for this series. 

32 - Land of Wolves : A Longmire Mystery - Craig Johnson - 3.5/5 - typical Longmire story but yet a very good read.

33. This Tender Land - William Kent Krueger - 4.5/5 - Excellent book that reminds one of Huckleberry Finn and Where the Crawdads Sing in one story. I really enjoyed this book. Story takes place in 1932 featuring 4 kids in ages 6 to about 15. They break out of a school for kids where everyone is treated terribly by a woman they nicknamed The Black Witch. Their journey takes them down a river where they encounter many  hardships while The Black Witch keeps tracking them.

A Prologue from the book:

https://www.amazon.com/This-Tender-Land-William-Krueger-ebook/dp/B010MHAEGA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=this+tender+land&qid=1573954176&sr=8-1

Reviews:

Review

Praise for This Tender Land

“If you liked Where the Crawdads Sing, you’ll love This Tender Land by best-selling author William Kent Krueger. This story is as big-hearted as they come.“ —Parade Magazine

“A picaresque tale of adventure during the Great Depression. Part Grapes of Wrath, part Huckleberry Finn, Krueger’s novel is a journey over inner and outer terrain toward wisdom and freedom.” —Minneapolis Star Tribune

“Crafted in exquisitely beautiful prose, this is a story to be treasured – outstanding and unforgettable.” —Historical Novel Review

"If you’re among the millions who raced through Where the Crawdads Sing this year and are looking for another expansive, atmospheric American saga, look to the latest from Krueger." —Entertainment Weekly

"Long, sprawling, and utterly captivating, readers will eat up every delicious word of it.” —New York Journal of Books

"Absorbing and wonderfully-paced, this fictional narrative set against historical truths mesmerizes the reader with its evocations of compassion, courage, and self-discovery. . . THIS TENDER LAND is a gripping, poignant tale swathed in both mythical and mystical overtones."   —Bob Drury, New York Times bestselling author of The Heart of Everything That Is

"More than a simple journey; it is a deeply satisfying odyssey, a quest in search of self and home. Richly imagined and exceptionally well plotted and written, the novel is, most of all, a compelling, often haunting story that will captivate both adult and young adult readers." —Booklist

"Rich with graceful writing and endearing characters...this is a book for the ages." —Denver Post
Edited by muggle not