Muggle Not's Reading List - 2019

muggle not

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It's actually a novella, part of the wider Inspector Gamache series, but on Amazon it says it's only 98 pages!

True, but it is still part of the Inspector Gamache Series. Yes, it is only about 96 pages. I am now reading Glass Houses by Louise Penny. Our library has 15 of the books in the series and I am just reading them as they become available at the library rather than wait to read them in sequence.

Edited by muggle not

It's a good series, some of the books have different titles though in the UK and US, and they've changed some of the UK editions now to have the US titles, so it gets a bit confusing!

• 1 month later...

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens continues to be one of the most popular books in the U.S. In our library in Greensboro, NC the hold list for the kindle version is huge:

Library Copies: 61

People waiting in total: 1722

People waiting per copy: 28

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

15. Glass Houses - Louise Penny - 3/5 - enjoyable read

16.Jet - Russell Blake - 3/5 - fast paced and enjoyable

17. Bury Your Dead - Louise Penny - 3/5 enjoyable read

18. The Priory of the Orange Tree - 4/5 - I really enjoyed this book although in the first third of the book there was some slow paced reading. maybe I should have given the book a 3.5 rating but I am glad that I read it. It is huge as it is 835 pages long.

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

18. The Priory of the Orange Tree - 4/5 - I really enjoyed this book although in the first third of the book there was some slow paced reading. maybe I should have given the book a 3.5 rating but I am glad that I read it. It is huge as it is 835 pages long.

I have this one on my wishlist, I'm waiting for a smaller sized paperback release though. It's good to know you liked it :).

On 5/6/2019 at 11:38 PM, poppy said:

How many of the Louise Penny books have you read now, Muggles?

I'm only up to No. 3.

I have read 3 of her books but one was a Novella. It is time for me to read another of hers. I am still on hold at the library for the first book in the series; Are you getting close at the library for the book by Delia Owens.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:43 AM, Athena said:

I have this one on my wishlist, I'm waiting for a smaller sized paperback release though. It's good to know you liked it :).

What has been your favorite book so far this year. I am always looking for a good read. :)

Edited by muggle not

13 hours ago, muggle not said:

What has been your favorite book so far this year. I am always looking for a good read. :)

I had a look through my list, and while I've read some nice books this year, there's only a couple that'd be called favourites, most of the books I read range from enjoyable but not perfect to meh it's okay. I don't think the favourite books are what you'd be interested in though, but I'll list them anyway.

Bianca Toeps - Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit (Dutch autism memoir I recently read)
Debbie Tung - Book Love (comic strips about books and reading)
Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir about a woman with bipolar disorder)
Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau - Bloom (graphic novel about two teenage boys in a bakery)

I hadn't really noticed that most of the books I've been reading, have been enjoyable but not perfect, and not many new favourites!

So, thanks for bringing that up, maybe I need to be more selective of what I choose to read, or something. I don't know. Maybe I've become more critical! I'm trying to be :).

On 5/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, muggle not said:

I have read 3 of her books but one was a Novella. It is time for me to read another of hers. I am still on hold at the library for the first book in the series; Are you getting close at the library for the book by Delia Owens.

I'm second in line now, Muggle 😊

I think reading the first Inspector Gamache book will give you a little more background to a lot of the recurring characters. 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:56 AM, poppy said:

I'm second in line now, Muggle 😊

I think reading the first Inspector Gamache book will give you a little more background to a lot of the recurring characters. 

Louise Penny is a very popular author in the U.S. I am only #38 in line on Still Life by Penny. Take a look at the number of holds on book #1, Still Life, in the series.:

Your place in line: 38

Library copies: 6

People waiting in total: 116

People waiting per copy: 19

On 5/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, muggle not said:

Louise Penny is a very popular author in the U.S. I am only #38 in line on Still Life by Penny. Take a look at the number of holds on book #1, Still Life, in the series.:

Your place in line: 38

Library copies: 6

People waiting in total: 116

People waiting per copy: 19

Would it be worth getting it on Kindle instead, Muggle? The earlier ones are quite cheap for you. Depends how patient you are 😄

If I saw a waiting list like that, I'd give up 😟

9 hours ago, muggle not said:

OK, I bought Still Life from Amazon for my kindle. I also put book #2 of the Series on hold at the library. I am #31 on the wait list but there are 6 or 8 copies. :)

Hope you enjoy it, Muggles :)

I gave book one a 3.5  - 4 star rating.

• 2 weeks later...

20. Still Life - Louise Penny - 3.5 - 4. I would probably rate this book closer to a 4 . It was the type of book where you could get involved with all the characters, and there were many of them. I enjoy a book like this once in a while where it isn't fast paced and you can just enjoy the reading. This book certainly did introduce you to all the people in the Canadian town of "Three Pines".

5 minutes ago, muggle not said:

20. Still Life - Louise Penny - 3.5 - 4. I would probably rate this book closer to a 4 . It was the type of book where you could get involved with all the characters, and there were many of them. I enjoy a book like this once in a while where it isn't fast paced and you can just enjoy the reading. This book certainly did introduce you to all the people in the Canadian town of "Three Pines".

Glad you enjoyed it, Muggle :)

(just had notification that Where the Crawdads Sing is waiting for me at the library.)

6 hours ago, poppy said:

Glad you enjoyed it, Muggle :)

(just had notification that Where the Crawdads Sing is waiting for me at the library.)

You are in for a treat. I just read an interview with the author, Delia Owens, done by Amazon. You shouldn't read the interview though until after reading the book. The book has been a best seller in the U.S. for 10 months now and it still is ranked #1. 

Owens was afraid that no one would read her book. She is overwhelmed that people are enjoying the book. Turns out it is the most popular debut novel in recent memory.

It has similarities to "To Kill A Mockingbird" in writing style (at least to me).

Edited by muggle not

10 hours ago, muggle not said:

Now I am worried that I have built up Where The Crawdads Sing so much that you will be disappointed in it. :(

It is always a little nerve wracking when making a recommendation. I have raved about my favourite books, only to have "It was alright.....but...." in response! :smile: I have this on my wishlist - and am looking forward to it! 

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

Now I am worried that I have built up Where The Crawdads Sing so much that you will be disappointed in it. :(

You can stop worrying as far as I'm concerned Muggle. I've read about 70 pages and am absolutely loving it. Beautifully descriptive writing and have already fallen in love with Kya. :)

15 hours ago, Chrissy said:

It is always a little nerve wracking when making a recommendation. I have raved about my favourite books, only to have "It was alright.....but...." in response! :smile: I have this on my wishlist - and am looking forward to it! 

I do hope that you read "Where The Crawdads Sing". I also hope that you like the book as much as I did. :)

13 hours ago, poppy said:

You can stop worrying as far as I'm concerned Muggle. I've read about 70 pages and am absolutely loving it. Beautifully descriptive writing and have already fallen in love with Kya. :)

Ah, Kya. What a special person. You have a lot of enjoyment in front of you and a few tears to wipe.

Edited by muggle not

Ah, Kya. What a special person. You have a lot of enjoyment in front of you and a few tears to wipe.

A simply wonderful book. 5/5 for me, something I rarely give. Beautifully written prose. Loved the ending! Thank you so much for the recommendation Muggles, I can always rely on you to point me in the right direction ... you haven't put me crook yet :D
Edited by poppy

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:33 PM, poppy said:

A simply wonderful book. 5/5 for me, something I rarely give. Beautifully written prose. Loved the ending! Thank you so much for the recommendation Muggles, I can always rely on you to point me in the right direction ... you haven't put me crook yet :D

Ah, glad that you enjoyed it. Where The Crawdads Sing is one of my favorite books. Kya was a special person.

21. The Cruelest Month - Louise Penny - 4/5. This may  be one of my favorites of the Armand Gamache series by Penny Louise, at least so far. :)