Muggle Not's Reading List - 2019

muggle not

I have borrowed Frankie's rating system for 2019:

1/5: I didn't like it
2/5: It was okay
3/5: I liked it
4/5: I really liked it
5/5: It was amazing

My first book read in 2019 unfortunately was only a 2/5 rating. I am currently reading Fear (book on Donald (cadet bone spurs) Trump) by Bob Woodward I am looking forward to some much better reading soon as there are  books I have on hold at the library that I believe will be very good. I requested the library to buy 4 ebooks and I recently received a notice that the ebooks have been purchased. Current books on hold at the library:

The Golden Tresses of the Dead  (Flavia de Luce series) – Alan Bradley

The New Iberia Blues ( a Dave Robicheaux novel) – James Lee Burke

The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy book 3) – Katherine Arden

Fallen Land – Taylor Brown

Long Road to Mercy – David Baldacci

Virgil Wander – Leif Enger

1. The Reckoning - John Grisham - 2/5 - generally I enjoy John Grisham but this was not one of his better books.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Is it okay to post in here?

I wish you a great reading year in 2019, Muggle Not :):readingtwo:!

It certainly is ok to post in here. You are welcome to make as many posts as you like.

I also hope you have a very good reading year. :)

have you read any books recently from the author we have both enjoyed? :)

Hope you have a great reading year! 

I didn't realise The Winter of the Witch was out now! I have 'The Girl in the Tower' on my shelf, I think I'll have to read it next and then go and get 'The Winter of the Witch'. I hope it's as good as the first one! :) 

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

Hope you have a great reading year! 

I didn't realise The Winter of the Witch was out now! I have 'The Girl in the Tower' on my shelf, I think I'll have to read it next and then go and get 'The Winter of the Witch'. I hope it's as good as the first one! :) 

It will be released on Jan. 22. I am on hold at the library for the pre-release.

The Girl in the Tower was really good. I am anxious for The Winter of the Witch.

Happy reading!! :)

19 hours ago, muggle not said:

It certainly is ok to post in here. You are welcome to make as many posts as you like.

I also hope you have a very good reading year. :)

have you read any books recently from the author we have both enjoyed? :)

Not recently, but I plan to read Pay It Forward soon with Anna, hopefully later this month.

• 2 weeks later...

1. - The Reckoning - John Grisham - 2/5

2. Fear - Bob Woodward - 3/5

3. The New Iberia Blues - James Lee Burke - 3.5/5 - As usual from Burke this was very good reading. This book is the latest in the Dave Robicheaux series. Dave and Clete team up to solve disturbing murders in Southern Louisana.

I just started reading Winter of the Witch (book3 of the Winternight trilogy).

I once again strongly recommend a book that I read late last year......Where The Crawdads Sing. It is currently #2 ranked book in popularity in the U.S.

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

Exciting! :D How is it so far?

I've added Where the Crawdads Sing to my 'to-read' list too :) 

Where The Crawdads Sing was my favorite book of 2018. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

I am about 33% into The Winter of the Witch and so far I give it a 4/5.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:43 AM, Chrissy said:

I have put 'Where The Crawdads Sing' onto my wishlist. You REALLY liked it, which I take as a sign of an excellent read. Later on in the year it shall be in my possession! :) 

I hope you enjoy Where The Crawdads Sing as much as I did. Happy reading in 2019!

4. The Winter of the Witch - Kathleen Arden - 4/5

I just finished reading The Winter of the Witch (book 3 of the Winternight Trilogy) and rate it a 4/5. I wish there were more books like this Trilogy to read, just enjoyable reading. If you read this book be sure to read the Authors Note at the end. It adds so much to the overall knowledge of the fantastic story in the book. It took Arden 7 years to write the Trilogy and it is easy to see why after reading her Authors Note. Also, read everything after the Authors Note to get a complete understanding of the story and the amount of work that went into the Trilogy.

I am #1 on hold at the library for the just released The Golden Tresses of the Dead (a Flavia de Luce series novel) by Alan Bradley. I am looking forward to reading this book.

I am currently reading Virgil Wander but can't quite get into the book. I very seldom give up on a book but may do so on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

5. Virgil Wander - Leaf Enger - 2/5 - Not my cup of tea.

6. The Pagan Lord - Bernard Cornwell - 3/5 - This was book #7 of the Last Kingdom series. I have enjoyed all 7 books at this point and there are 5 more to go. 

Hayley & Chrissy - Have you read "Where The Crawdads Sing" yet. It was definitely my most enjoyable read of 2018 and probably longer than that, excluding the Classics. 

Poppy - I seem to recall that maybe you were also going to read it. :)

I can't wait to read The Winter of the Witch but I also don't want the trilogy to be over!

I haven't read Where the Crawdad's Sing yet either. I'm planning to try to get The Winter of the Witch from Waterstones on Sunday, so I'll see if they have Where the Crawdad's Sing while I'm there :) 

• 3 weeks later...

7. The Golden Tresses of the Dead – Alan Bradley - 3/5

8. The Empty Throne (Saxon Tales) – Bernard Cornwell - 3/5

9. Fallen Land – Taylor Brown - 3/5

10. Warriors of the Storm (Saxon Tales) – Bernard Cornwell 3/5

11. The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) – Bernard Cornwell 3/5

On 2/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, poppy said:

The Golden Tresses of the Dead!! Another Flavia de Luce novel! You didn't tell me Muggles!! :motz:;) 

Obviously not your favourite so far with 3/5 rating. Nevertheless ... off to see how much it is on Kindle or if it's available at the library.

As you know I get almost all of my books from the library. I did enjoy The Golden Tresses of the Dead but just not as much as the others in the Flavia series.

A week ago I requested the library to purchase Early Riser by Jasper Fforde and I was notified today that they have purchased the kindle version and it is ready for my download. I think that was the fastest purchase of any book that I have requested them to buy. The library also informed me today that they had purchased another book that I requested (Trickster Point by William Kent  Krueger).

23 hours ago, muggle not said:

As you know I get almost all of my books from the library. I did enjoy The Golden Tresses of the Dead but just not as much as the others in the Flavia series.

Picking it up from the library today. Will let you know what I think :)

On 4.1.2019 at 6:07 PM, muggle not said:

I have borrowed Frankie's rating system for 2019:

:lol: I myself have shamelessly stolen that rating system from Goodreads years and years ago :D

I'm late to some of the reading logs as I haven't been that much on the forum so far this year, so do forgive me for my late wishes: I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2019, muggle not! :smile2: :readingtwo:

On 4.1.2019 at 6:07 PM, muggle not said:

I am currently reading Fear (book on Donald (cadet bone spurs) Trump) by Bob Woodward I am looking forward to some much better reading soon as there are  books I have on hold at the library that I believe will be very good. I requested the library to buy 4 ebooks and I recently received a notice that the ebooks have been purchased.

For a moment I thought you were reading the same book I read in the late 2018, but yours was Fear, and mine was Fire and Fury :D It was interesting reading but I did need some great fictional reading after that! 

And by the way, am I wrong or just having my head in the sand, or has Trump been off the news lately? Has he been behaving okay'isly lately? I mean, is there no new drama. Odd! 

13. The Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci - 3.5/5

On 3/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, frankie said:

:lol: I myself have shamelessly stolen that rating system from Goodreads years and years ago :D

I'm late to some of the reading logs as I haven't been that much on the forum so far this year, so do forgive me for my late wishes: I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2019, muggle not! :smile2: :readingtwo:

For a moment I thought you were reading the same book I read in the late 2018, but yours was Fear, and mine was Fire and Fury :D It was interesting reading but I did need some great fictional reading after that! 

And by the way, am I wrong or just having my head in the sand, or has Trump been off the news lately? Has he been behaving okay'isly lately? I mean, is there no new drama. Odd! 

Trump is (unfortunately) always in the news in the U.S.  There were some U.S. Presidents that were not favorites of mine but when it comes to Trump he is altogether in another category. Can't wait to cast my vote in the next election.

Edited by muggle not

14. The Hangman - Louise Penny - 3/5. I enjoyed the first book that I have read by Louise Penny and intend to continue reading all of the books in this series. Her stories remind me of Agatha Christie.

On 07/03/2019 at 11:42 PM, muggle not said:

12. Early Riser - Jasper Fforde - 4/5 - Review: what Hayley said. :)

I’m glad you liked it! :)

The Hangman sounds interesting, I like a good mystery. I have seen it in shops before but didn’t realise it was part of a series.