Travel Plans

Talisman

Oh wow @Quinn! That really is a dream trip. I actually love raccoons, although I've never seen one in real life, so that would have been a highlight for me :lol:

I'm hoping to fit an autumn camping trip in, probably to the Cotswolds but I don't have any firm plans yet. My boyfriend loves winter camping, but I much prefer spring and autumn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photo Quinn - it sounds like a real adventure.

We had a nice weekend in Bournemouth recently for the Lib Dem conference which was fun - and glorious weather. The next longer trip for me though will be to Portugal during the 1st week of November - it should still  be reasonably warm (low 20's) I hope. I will be spending 4 nights in Lisbon and 3 in Porto, so must remember to book the train between the 2 different cities this weekend. It should be fun.

I am starting to think about next year as well now, although holding off a little bit because of the dreaded B word. Hopefully though it will be  a trip to Valencia in Spain in February. I will have to see what dates are best - EasyJet offer several flights a day from Gatwick so there are plenty of options. 

12 hours ago, Talisman said:

Nice photo Quinn - it sounds like a real adventure.

We had a nice weekend in Bournemouth recently for the Lib Dem conference which was fun - and glorious weather. The next longer trip for me though will be to Portugal during the 1st week of November - it should still  be reasonably warm (low 20's) I hope. I will be spending 4 nights in Lisbon and 3 in Porto, so must remember to book the train between the 2 different cities this weekend. It should be fun.

I am starting to think about next year as well now, although holding off a little bit because of the dreaded B word. Hopefully though it will be  a trip to Valencia in Spain in February. I will have to see what dates are best - EasyJet offer several flights a day from Gatwick so there are plenty of options. 

Such glamorous travels!  Spain and Portugal are high on my list, but unfortunately, it will take quite a bit of saving.

• 1 year later...

No plans to travel abroad this year. We normally take a few trips inside the UK every year so this year we'll take a few more than usual. When restrictions are lifted worldwide we have some pretty big trips planned.

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on a trip to Maine (Bar Harbor mainly :) ). I never get enough of lobster plus the scenery along the coast is beautiful. Love Maine. The drive up and back is long though, over 1000 miles each way.

12 hours ago, muggle not said:

We are planning on a trip to Maine (Bar Harbor mainly :) ). I never get enough of lobster plus the scenery along the coast is beautiful. Love Maine. The drive up and back is long though, over 1000 miles each way.

That's a long, long drive! How many days do you take to get there? We bought a freshly cooked lobster from one of the many vans that dot the Kaikoura coast a few years ago. We were horrified that a small one cost around $60 and a larger one $90!

On 7/8/2021 at 11:48 PM, poppy said:

That's a long, long drive! How many days do you take to get there? We bought a freshly cooked lobster from one of the many vans that dot the Kaikoura coast a few years ago. We were horrified that a small one cost around $60 and a larger one $90!

It normally takes me about 3 days to make the drive but sometimes I push it and make the drive in 2 days.

I copied this from the menu at Beall's Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor ( located near Bar Harbor). it is about the same price to order a lobster dinner where the restaurant removes the shell and you get all the meat. The price is high this year, usually it is somewhat cheaper.

Steamed Lobster by the Pound

Butters

Please choose up to 1 (1 selected)

1.50-1.99 Pounds
+$31.99
2.00-2.49 Pounds
-Out of stock-
2.50-2.99 Pounds

-Out of stock-

I almost always have a lobster dinner every day I am in Maine and also have a lobster roll at least 2 days out of 6 for lunch. This is an article on the high cost this year. Read the whole article as there is one establishment that is selling 1 lb lobster for $9.99. Usually a lobster dinner will consist of 11/4 lb lobster minimum. 

Maine restaurants, markets raise prices over cost of lobster | WGME

Edited by muggle not

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

It normally takes me about 3 days to make the drive but sometimes I push it and make the drive in 2 days.

I copied this from the menu at Beall's Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor ( located near Bar Harbor). it is about the same price to order a lobster dinner where the restaurant removes the shell and you get all the meat. The price is high this year, usually it is somewhat cheaper.

Steamed Lobster by the Pound

Butters

Please choose up to 1 (1 selected)

1.50-1.99 Pounds
+$31.99
2.00-2.49 Pounds
-Out of stock-
2.50-2.99 Pounds

-Out of stock-

I almost always have a lobster dinner every day I am in Maine and also have a lobster roll at least 2 days out of 6 for lunch. This is an article on the high cost this year. Read the whole article as there is one establishment that is selling 1 lb lobster for $9.99. Usually a lobster dinner will consist of 11/4 lb lobster minimum. 

Maine restaurants, markets raise prices over cost of lobster | WGME

That still sounds very reasonable compared to what we pay. Lobster (or crayfish as we incorrectly call them) are fairly prolific here but still very expensive. Fresh oysters range from $28 a dozen upwards. Fresh green-lipped mussels are cheaper. I often buy them in the shell for around $4.99 a kilo.

Hope you and your wife have a lovely holiday and safe travels :flowers2: