What Are You Watching Now? - 2019

Athena

In this topic we can talk about TV shows, TV series, documentaries, YouTube videos, etc. ... we've seen in 2019.

We're on season 4 of Star Trek: Voyager, but I expect we might watch some (recently bought) movies first before we return to watching more Voyager.

5 hours ago, antiteasis said:

I've started watching Black Mirror Season 1 yesterday after seeing the Bandersnatch special with my friends. I have to allot time for myself to catch up till the latest season because I am literally missing out. 

Excellent! I'm a huge Black Mirror fan. I watched Bandersnatch as soon as it came out. I've gone back and started rewatching the last season because I've only seen those episodes once so far. :)

I've also been watching One Tree Hill, a teen show I missed back in the day and always meant to check out. Up to seaosn 8.

I recently read the Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin, without knowing that a television series had been made based on the first book. Last night was it's first episode, so I watched it.

For a first episode it wasn't bad! The two main characters are really good, the young actress Saniyya Sydney especially so. The adjustments to the story they have made so far have been understandable and well done too. I will be really interested to see how they preoceed. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, poppy said:

Gentleman Jack. Some excellent actors involved but particularly impressed by Suranne Jones playing Anne Lister. Based on her diaries which were found hidden after her death.

Me too!  What a fantastic series.  (And I want a greatcoat like Anne's; I'd swish it like nobody's business, and probably take an eye out.)

4 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Me too!  What a fantastic series.  (And I want a greatcoat like Anne's; I'd swish it like nobody's business, and probably take an eye out.)

Lol. She must have been an amazing character. Just love how she takes on the misogynist males and gets the better of them. I love long coats too :D

BBC quiz show 'Impossible'. Quite good fun, and easy watching.

We finally got around to watching the second series of 'Fleabag' over the weekend. Super sharp writing, and great acting. Certainly not for everybody, but for some reason husband and I really enjoyed it. 

The excellent Chernobyl. I really liked the fact that a podcast series was created alongside each episode to expand on certain things and to explain why they deviated from the true story on the odd occasion that they did.

• 2 months later...

I'm watching some episodes from the american version of Kitchen Nightmares, in which a famous chef tests and tries to improve different restaurants, and it's making me appreciate even more the restaurants in my area. In the two italian restaurants near my grandparents home, you can see the cookers making the meals in real time, whereas in the show the kitchens are closed from the customer's view and they use the microwave a lot.

Really enjoying Outlander, it's filling the Poldark sized gap left now that Poldark has finished, actually I thought the last series was disappointing, but Outlander is very strong at the moment, possible the best series so far?

Good Omens, repeatedly.  It's spectacularly good.  It's only on Amazon Prime at the moment, but will make it to BBC2 by the end of the year.  Don't miss it, whatever you do!  Michael Sheen and David Tennant are just so charismatically perfect in their roles as the angel Aziraphale and demon Crowley.  Also -- how did I make it to this point in my life without watching EVERYTHING that Michael Sheen has ever been in?!?  He's such a good actor.  Currently remedying this ghastly faux pas.

Just finished the last episode of the first series of Beecham House. Felt it was over dramatised and romanticised.

Have watched two episodes of the latest adaptation of Agatha Christies The ABC Murders.

Much darker and suspenseful than the earlier one featuring David Suchet and there are some major divergences from the book. But putting that aside, the cast and acting is outstanding.

Spine-chilling stuff.

10 hours ago, poppy said:

Have watched two episodes of the latest adaptation of Agatha Christies The ABC Murders.

Much darker and suspenseful than the earlier one featuring David Suchet and there are some major divergences from the book. But putting that aside, the cast and acting is outstanding.

Spine-chilling stuff.

I liked it too!  I enjoyed Malkovich's take on Poirot.  I couldn't quite believe that twist in his personal history, though.  (Have you got to that bit yet?)