The Last Film You Saw - 2019

Athena

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Athena said:

The last film I watched was Star Wars: Solo. Not sure what to think, it wasn't terrible, but it's also not something that stands out in my mind.

I had the same reaction to the most recent Star Wars movies. I was never a massive Star Wars fan but it would seem that a lot of the big fans have strong reactions to these movies.

Since I had quite a long Christmas vacation, I've already watched a few films this year.

Two Night Stand (meh, nothing special)

Catch and release (sad, lovely, Silent Bob was good)

Interstellar (oh boy, I hated that one, so freaking boring and plain weird)

The Martian (really liked that one, funny, interesting, suspenseful)

Went to see The Favourite today.  As wothwhile as the reviews suggest.  Great to see a film with 3 strong female leads,and the men supporting.  The three are goooooood!

Edited by willoyd

About halfway through the second Hobbit film - The Desolation of Smaug - enjoying it so far, to my surprise I'm finding it better than the first film, which I felt dragged and I fast forwarded a few bits - beginning to care about the characters now and so far it's been entertaining.  Still feel 3 films was really stretching it though!

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

I watched The Witches with my niece and was surprised at how freaky the mouse transformation scenes are, I don't remember them being that bad when I watched it as a kid! 

Such a great film :D!

• 1 month later...

In the last month I have watched or rewatched

• Mary Queen of Scots - 4/10
  • Moonlight - 7/10
  • A Bridge Too Far - 8/10
  • Cardboard Gangsters - 3/10
  • The Villainess - 8/10

I expected Cardboard Gangsters to be a bad movie and it was but Mary Queen of Scots left me very disappointed especially given how good both the leading actresses are.

Went to see Mary Poppins Returns with OH at the weekend.  Actually surprised myself by loving it.  Emily Blunt outstanding. Not sure about Ben Whishaw (I'm usually a bit of a fan), but the rest of the cast practically perfect (in every way!).  Lovely homage to the original, whilst carving out just enough of its own space. 

Edited by willoyd

I've watched a bunch of movies this week.

• Safe House - 6/10
  • True Story - 5/10
  • The Dawn Wall - 8/10
  • Gringo - 6/10
  • Free Solo - 9/10
  • Fighting With My Family - 8/10
  • Battle of the Sexes - 6/10

The climbing movies were the stand out, especially Free Solo which I would recommend to anyone, even if you don't have an interest in climbing.

Can only agree with you about Free Solo (had to watch some of it through my fingers!), although I think I'm a bit unusual amongst the people that I know in slightly preferring The Dawn Wall.  They are, of course, fairly similar in style, being both by the same directing team (I can thoroughly recommend Meru if you haven't seen that and enjoyed these two).  Whatever, they have both been standout films for me recently too.