• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

February Supporter Giveaway   02/07/2019

February already! And with February comes the next supporter giveaway. This month, with great thanks once again to www.thestorygift.co.uk , we have a brilliantly bookish set of 'storyteller' pencils (featuring famous first lines) and a retro library card notebook!      As always, you'll be automatically entered into the giveaway if you support the forum on patreon, or if your pre-patreon membership is still active. If you want to be involved in the giveaway but don't currently support, you can join the patreon at any point in February here:  www.patreon.com/bookclubforum . 
Sign in to follow this  
Athena

The Last Film You Saw - 2019

In this topic we can post about films/movies we've seen in 2019.

Since it's January 1rst I haven't actually seen any movies yet in 2019, but we might watch one in one of the next few days.

The last film I watched was Star Wars: Solo. Not sure what to think, it wasn't terrible, but it's also not something that stands out in my mind.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

The last film I watched was Star Wars: Solo. Not sure what to think, it wasn't terrible, but it's also not something that stands out in my mind.

I had the same reaction to the most recent Star Wars movies. I was never a massive Star Wars fan but it would seem that a lot of the big fans have strong reactions to these movies.

Since I had quite a long Christmas vacation, I've already watched a few films this year.

Two Night Stand (meh, nothing special)

Catch and release (sad, lovely, Silent Bob was good)

Interstellar (oh boy, I hated that one, so freaking boring and plain weird)

The Martian (really liked that one, funny, interesting, suspenseful)

Went to see The Favourite today.  As good as the reviews suggest.  Great to see a film with 3 strong female leads,and the men supporting.  The three are goooooood!

Die Hard :D  It was entertaining!  So much so that I think I have to watch the sequel, especially since I learned it was directed by a Finnish movie director! I had no idea. 

Edited by frankie

^ Two good Christmas films!

(they go down hill quickly after two, so be warned!)

We saw Mary Queen of Scots last weekend - the 2 leads are vey powerful actresses who both play the role very well. 

About halfway through the second Hobbit film - The Desolation of Smaug - enjoying it so far, to my surprise I'm finding it better than the first film, which I felt dragged and I fast forwarded a few bits - beginning to care about the characters now and so far it's been entertaining.  Still feel 3 films was really stretching it though!

I watched The Witches with my niece and was surprised at how freaky the mouse transformation scenes are, I don't remember them being that bad when I watched it as a kid! 

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

I watched The Witches with my niece and was surprised at how freaky the mouse transformation scenes are, I don't remember them being that bad when I watched it as a kid! 

Such a great film :D!

I just watched The Shape of Water. So fantastically bizarre...I really enjoyed it. :D

Finished watching "The Desolation of Smaug" and really enjoyed it, onto "The Battle of the Five Armies" now.

Arrival

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Interstellar.

10 hours ago, Raven said:

Arrival

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Interstellar.

Did you enjoy it Raven? Can't quite tell. :D

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Did you enjoy it Raven? Can't quite tell. :D

That's more of a comment on Interstellar than Arrival, to be honest.  It was a good film, though.

On 05/02/2019 at 1:41 PM, Raven said:

That's more of a comment on Interstellar than Arrival, to be honest.  It was a good film, though.

On the re read, I can see that! :)