What's Up in January? - 2019

Athena

Hey! It's January now.. What's going on in your lives?

I'm tired from yesterday.. as some of you know New Year's celebration is always difficult for me, because I don't do well with loud noises and there are always a lot of fireworks here around NYE. I've been feeling tired and have been having a headache. But.. I'm glad at least that New Year's Eve is over now and that hopefully the noise of fireworks will not be so bad anymore now that it's January 1rst (or at least, it should lessen after January 1rst is over).

How is everyone else?

The fireworks seemed to go on for ever last night, started around 6.15 and didn't finish til 1.30:angry:

I had a nice evening, went round to a friend but left at around 11.15 to get home before the new year lunacy started.

Did a nice walk with my walking group this morning.  Now trying to psych myself up for the return to work tomorrow:(

We also had a lot of fireworks here, very loud ones, that went on until 1.30. They're pretty, but it would be nicer if they were also quiet.

I'm still feeling pretty rubbish with a head cold. I went out for a meal with my family this afternoon, which is a new year's day tradition,  and the food looked delicious but I couldn't taste any of it! I haven't felt like reading for the last couple of days either because I keep getting headaches but (fingers crossed!) the headaches are going now so I'm planning to curl up in bed early with a good book :)

That must be a real bummer not being able to taste any of that lovely food - I suppose it might be one way to lose weight though, albeit rather a drastic one!

The fireworks here weren't too bad and didn't keep us awake for long. Thankfully the cats weren't bothered by them either. 

It was back to work properly today, with lots of carpets to shampoo as a few clients had over indulged and been poorly. :( I spent the day working with our new cleaner as the other one isn't back until tomorrow - he is flying home from Poland today after visiting his ex wife and kids (teenagers now). I even managed to work out a rota for the new cleaner that might fingers crossed please everyone - I blooming well hope so anyway! 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, Madeleine said:

The fireworks seemed to go on for ever last night, started around 6.15 and didn't finish til 1.30:angry:

I had a nice evening, went round to a friend but left at around 11.15 to get home before the new year lunacy started.

Did a nice walk with my walking group this morning.  Now trying to psych myself up for the return to work tomorrow:(

I hope going back to work went okay for you.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Hayley said:

We also had a lot of fireworks here, very loud ones, that went on until 1.30. They're pretty, but it would be nicer if they were also quiet.

I'm still feeling pretty rubbish with a head cold. I went out for a meal with my family this afternoon, which is a new year's day tradition,  and the food looked delicious but I couldn't taste any of it! I haven't felt like reading for the last couple of days either because I keep getting headaches but (fingers crossed!) the headaches are going now so I'm planning to curl up in bed early with a good book :)

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

15 hours ago, Talisman said:

That must be a real bummer not being able to taste any of that lovely food - I suppose it might be one way to lose weight though, albeit rather a drastic one!

The fireworks here weren't too bad and didn't keep us awake for long. Thankfully the cats weren't bothered by them either. 

It was back to work properly today, with lots of carpets to shampoo as a few clients had over indulged and been poorly. :( I spent the day working with our new cleaner as the other one isn't back until tomorrow - he is flying home from Poland today after visiting his ex wife and kids (teenagers now). I even managed to work out a rota for the new cleaner that might fingers crossed please everyone - I blooming well hope so anyway! 

Awww poor clients :(. Good luck with being back at work :).

My wife and I went to see A Christmas Carol at the RSC in Stratford upon Avon last night. Ideally we wanted to watch it prior to Christmas but we just couldnt get the dates and showtimes to match our off days. We both really enjoyed the show, it had some really nice additions to the traditional story we all know.

Hope you're feeling better @Hayley

That sounds wonderful @Brian.

Husband has extended his Christmas break, so we headed off to the WWT Centre at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire. They have a wonderful large site there, and we spent almost 4 hours wandering around, seeing all the water (and other) birds at the site. Spent some time watching their group of otters frolicking about, and saw lots of flamingoes. A lovely way to spend a chilly but dry day.

Spending time with nature, be it greenery, birdies or beasties always recharges my batteries and makes me feel grounded. Getting back into the swing of things is going to be hell! :giggle2:

16 hours ago, Brian. said:

My wife and I went to see A Christmas Carol at the RSC in Stratford upon Avon last night. Ideally we wanted to watch it prior to Christmas but we just couldnt get the dates and showtimes to match our off days. We both really enjoyed the show, it had some really nice additions to the traditional story we all know.

That sounds nice :).

12 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Husband has extended his Christmas break, so we headed off to the WWT Centre at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire. They have a wonderful large site there, and we spent almost 4 hours wandering around, seeing all the water (and other) birds at the site. Spent some time watching their group of otters frolicking about, and saw lots of flamingoes. A lovely way to spend a chilly but dry day.

Spending time with nature, be it greenery, birdies or beasties always recharges my batteries and makes me feel grounded. Getting back into the swing of things is going to be hell! :giggle2:

That sounds quite nice :). I do like spending a bit of time with nature :).

One of the reasons I joined my walking group was to get more time with nature, our New Year's Day walk was nice, in the forest and we stopped for lunch by a lake with lots of water birds.  I really need to get out into the wild (so to speak!) especially working in Central London all week. 

I definitely need to start walking more and exploring the local area - there are so many walks around here that there really isn't an excuse. 

The New Year is shaping up well for me though, with our new cleaner all trained up and ready to start the new rota next week, which I hope will work. The other one has been working on a Tuesday night for over a year now to get the kitchen areas cleaned but this is the first time we have tried it for other areas, so I hope it will work and the fact hat the Supported Living team are soon moving into the Main  Building will not put a spanner in the works - as they work until 9.30pm. I have booked out all the rooms and notified everyone of what my intent is, and they are usually quite cooperative in working around us, so there is no reason to think this won't continue. 

I booked my first opera ticket of the year a few days ago - The Queen of Spades, which is on 22nd January, so am looking forward to that. There are some good ones this season and it would be nice to see a live one in Convent Garden (or anywhere) this year, but they are expensive and the journey back from London at night is a pain. You do occasionally get Saturday matinees though, so I shall be keeping an eye on the RCG website.  

On 1/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, Talisman said:

The New Year is shaping up well for me though, with our new cleaner all trained up and ready to start the new rota next week, which I hope will work. The other one has been working on a Tuesday night for over a year now to get the kitchen areas cleaned but this is the first time we have tried it for other areas, so I hope it will work and the fact hat the Supported Living team are soon moving into the Main  Building will not put a spanner in the works - as they work until 9.30pm. I have booked out all the rooms and notified everyone of what my intent is, and they are usually quite cooperative in working around us, so there is no reason to think this won't continue. 

I booked my first opera ticket of the year a few days ago - The Queen of Spades, which is on 22nd January, so am looking forward to that. There are some good ones this season and it would be nice to see a live one in Convent Garden (or anywhere) this year, but they are expensive and the journey back from London at night is a pain. You do occasionally get Saturday matinees though, so I shall be keeping an eye on the RCG website.  

I'm glad the New Year is shaping up well for you :).

I hope you enjoy your first opera :)! I've only ever been to one - but it was impressive :). I can't remember what it was though.. it was when I was in high school. I remember liking it but I don't remember the title, I know it was based on Greek or Roman mythology.

11 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Decorations down, room looking bare even though I only have one small tree and a few small ornaments, and the first full week back at work coming up!  I hate January!:angry:

The room here is looking bare too. Good luck with work :(!

I have an appointment today with my therapist (though that's not quite the right word, I can't find a better one). I haven't seen her in a few weeks (due to Christmas holidays) so I look forward to talk with her again :).

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 5:34 AM, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy your first opera :)! I've only ever been to one - but it was impressive :). I can't remember what it was though.. it was when I was in high school. I remember liking it but I don't remember the title, I know it was based on Greek or Roman mythology.

There are a lot of different ones - some more traditional and some modern. I like a bit of both if I am honest. For me opera is one of the most impressive art forms that encompasses everything - the performers are not only singing but also acting. Then of course there is the orchestra and the scenery - and the wonderful costumes, not to mention if you are lucky enough to be attending a live one in person, the whole theatre experience. I have only ever been to two that way (both abroad) as it's so expensive and also because of the hours I work (starting at 7.30am) I can't really stay up late. Most of them tend to be in London anyway which for me is almost a 2 hour journey away so that's really not going to work on any day other than a Friday (when I am too knackered after being at work all week anyway) or a Saturday when I don't have to get up for work the following day!  

Husband's ancient kindle (page turner, no touch screen) is in rapid decline, so we bought him a kindle oasis last week, so I have spent this morning making sure his collections are in order, an reorganising things for him. It was actually quite nice to dive in there and get all booky with things. 

Aside from that we have booked to go to Southern Scotland for Easter with our niece and her family. It is lovely to have a break away in place. 

I have had an interesting day. As I had three days holiday left to take I decided to take one of them and go up to London for a vigil outside Westminster on the day of the Brexit vote. I was in good company as there were thousands there - from both sides but it was all very good natured - and noisy! There were lots of great people there whom I got talking to and many of whom were taking pictures of the sign that I carried with me. I had been planning to go to the rally afterwards to watch the vote live but decided to leave so I could get home ahead of the rush hour, which proved to be a good one. The vote though has now been cast, and the results are in, so what happens now is anyone's guess! 

• Athena unpinned this topic