Your Book Activity - January 2019

Athena

Reading mojo, reading mojo. Wherefore art thou, reading mojo? 

You read a long ol' trilogy and have a blast. You pick up a book (kindle) written by two authors you love, and what happens? I cannot get into Good Omens, so have put that to one side.

Now I am just looking at all the many many books on my kindle and trying to find even a gentle, short re read of something just to keep my mojo embers glowing. *Big sigh* :unsure: 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reading mojo has been a bit absent, and as a result, so have I! But I want to rectify that.

At the moment I'm reading the 9th Kim Stone crime thriller, which is better than the last one (which only got great at the end), but also quite sad in many ways. Not sure if anyone else reads this series? Would love to discuss the end of book 8 and the impact it had on book 9.

I'm also reading the second in John Green's Life's Library Book Club, which I've signed up for. I'm gonna start a book blog thread for 2019 in which I'll talk more about it, but suffice it here to say that I'm reading a non-fiction, part philosophical speculation, part memoir by Rebecca Solnit, called 'A File Guide To Getting Lost', which I'm quite enjoying.

And thirdly, I have the graphic novel Blankets on the back burner. Not too far into it, but plan to start it at the weekend maybe.

I've finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. Very good, but unsure about the ending. Next up will be A Captain's Duty by Richard Phillips. I've also finished listening to Roots by Alex Haley and Jaws by Peter Benchley. I've now started listening to the Jeff Wayne's Musical version of The War of the Worlds:D

I've somehow got 4 books on the go at the moment.

• Atomic Habits - James Clear
  • Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • The Battle for the Falklands - Max Hastings (Audiobook)
  • A Cold Death in Amsterdam - Anja de Jager

I've never had so many books on the go at the same time but I can only read Crime and Punishment at home due to the physical size of my edition. Atomic Habits is on my Kindle so I tend to read it at work, and The Battle for the Falklands I listen to when driving etc. I am over halfway through A Cold Death in Amsterdam and I'm enjoying it but for some reason I am finding the first person writing a bit tough to get on with in places.

Hi everyone! :D Thanks for the welcomes, tis good to be back.

Mojo is picking up a bit - I finished Fatal Promise by Angela Marsons and it was a really solid installment in the Kim Stone series.

I'm now about halfway through Bone White by Ronald Malfi, a sort of slow burning atmospheric spooky tale set in Alaska. Really enjoying it.

Just finished James O'Brien's How To Be Right...in a world gone wrong.  Interesting, thought provoking, and illuminating. Chapters on Islam and Islamism, Brexit, Trump and others admittedly simply confirmed a lot of my opinions, particularly on unevidenced claims in our right wing press and the febrile atmosphere they deliberately create, but the chapter on 'The Age Gap' (especially being in an older generation myself now) really made me sit up and take note, as I needed to rethink some things.

Edited by willoyd

On 2/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, karen.d said:

I finished 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith this morning and I was really disappointed Now, I'm about to start 'Testimony' by Anita Shreve.

Oh dear. What made you disappointed with White Teeth? It's on my TBR.

I have such started both the Tractatus by Wittgenstein and the Routledge Companion Guide at the same time to hopefully help me understand what I'm reading. :P 

1 hour ago, Angury said:

Oh dear. What made you disappointed with White Teeth? It's on my TBR.

I'm going to put a review on my book log shortly, but basically, even though this was well written, the plot was all over the place!

I finished Bone White, sadly in the end it dropped from 4 stars down to 3 stars due to just being underwhelming. It was good until the spooky stuff became overtly spooky, particularly as it was short lived and quite thin.

Not sure what to read next.

• Athena unpinned this topic