Your Book Activity - January 2019

Athena

1 hour ago, Kafka On The Shore said:

I finished The God of Small Things which was absolutely wonderful. It had been on my shelves for years but for some reason I never got round to it. Absolutely deserving of all the praise. 

I read this when it first came out in paperback many years ago and I agree,  it really is a delight to read. Rich and vivid. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, Kafka On The Shore said:

I finished The God of Small Things which was absolutely wonderful. It had been on my shelves for years but for some reason I never got round to it. Absolutely deserving of all the praise. 

Just finished this novel yesterday as well. Absolutely loved it - decided to do a bit of googling around Arundhati Roy and couldn't believe that she hadn't studied English Literature/Creative Writing etc at Uni. Gives me hope.. :P 

I have just started reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Really getting into the SE Asian flow..

On 09/01/2019 at 8:02 PM, bobblybear said:

I thought it was average, and so haven't bothered with the sequels. I much preferred The Casual Vacancy. Different genre though. 

On 12/01/2019 at 6:44 PM, Kafka On The Shore said:

I read The Cuckoo's Calling a few years ago, I really enjoyed it at the time but yes it's quite 'average' as it happens. 

Well, I can't say I'm inspired to pick it up again!  Anyway, it's gone back to the library, and I've started my book group's choice for our February meeting - The Way We Were by Anthony Trollope.  It's a biggie (>800pp), but, just over 100pp in, I'm finding it a very easy read.  It'll still take a while though!

I finished The Salt Path (which annoyed me in parts - more of that when I get around to writing a review), and Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine (loved this one). Now I'm listening to Roots by Alex Haley, while reading The Reality Dysfunction (by Peter F Hamilton) and With The End In Mind (by Kathryn Mannix). 

I've also started listening to Jaws by Peter Benchley. It's good, and I'm listening with my husband who doesn't read at all. He loves the movie so he's enjoying it. :D

I'm still struggling to get into a reading groove again for some reason. I have picked up a variety of books but it hasn't really helped too much. I'm currently about half way through Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon and despite my struggles I am enjoying it. I am hoping to make some headway into it today as I don't have much to do. Last night I ordered a few more Folio Society books to add to my collection, Goldfinger by Ian Fleming, Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard, and A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.

I've finished The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. Some parts were a real struggle, as there seemed to be more characters and words than were necessary for the plot. It was a bit of a relief to finish it. :lol: I still have the other 2 in the series on my Kindle to be read at some point.

I'm also still listening to Jaws and Roots on Audible, both very good. :)

I'm now reading With The End in Mind by Kathryn Mannix, which is such a good read. Kathryn Mannix has worked as a palliative care doctor/consultant for the past 30+ years, and here she shares a handful of experiences about hospice care and the dying process (not only the physical side). So, so good.....one of the most interesting books I've read.

After that, I intend to move on to His Bloody Project by Graeme Burnett.

I have started reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. Enjoying it so far.

Confession time - despite being a big fan of both authors, and despite owning both the physical and e book version - I have NEVER read this book! Not sure how this has happened (or rather, not), but I am making up for it now.  :blush:

On 1/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, bobblybear said:

I've finished The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. Some parts were a real struggle, as there seemed to be more characters and words than were necessary for the plot. It was a bit of a relief to finish it. :lol: I still have the other 2 in the series on my Kindle to be read at some point.

I'm sorry to hear that :(. I'm glad you finished it though :).

I've started reading my library loans. I started with Colette de Bruin - Geef Me De 5 2: Auti-Communicatie, an information book about communication with people with autism (for people without autism). So far it's interesting, but I'm not that far into it yet.

I'm currently reading One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus and I'm completely hooked! I can't remember the last time I was so eager to pick up a book to read more. I've been reading it on my way to work, at lunch, on my way home, and even before bedtime, which is unusual for me! :smile2:

I finished a book :P

For some reason I have been struggling to get my reading groove this month despite the last 6 months being great as far as reading goes. It's taken me 3 weeks to read Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon but despite this, I really enjoyed it. I really like the fact that his spy fiction always feels very authentic and well researched. Not sure what I will pick up next, I'll have a scan of my TBR and see if anything jumps out at me.

I finally finished Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.  It took me an entire month to read, on and off.  Only a short book, but it felt like an absolute slog by the end.  Downbeat, with a few bright spots.  The main character -- or at least, the character who recurs throughout most of the stories, George Willard -- irritated the HECK out of me.  I would run a thousand miles from anywhere remotely like Winesburg, Ohio.

Now on to The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide. 

On 1/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, Angury said:

I have just started reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Really getting into the SE Asian flow..

I've been thinking about reading this novel, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of this.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, karen.d said:

I've been thinking about reading this novel, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of this.

I must admit it wasn't 'my kind of book' but I can see why it received so much critical acclaim. It's a groundbreaking piece of work for the time that it was written in, and even more importantly, it brought English Indian literature to the Western stage. 

The story itself is well done. It follows the history of India following its Independence through the eyes of a young child. Personally I didn't find the plot very engaging but I have to admit the writing was well done. 

I would however recommend it - I do think it's an insightful piece of work.

Edited by Angury

I finished Them by Jon Ronson, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then I read Noughts and Crosses by Marjorie Blackman, which I didn't particularly enjoy (I'm just not keen on Young Adult). Now I am reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. It's good so far, and I haven't read the synopsis beforehand so I have no idea where it's heading. :readingtwo:

I'm also still listening to Jaws (Peter Benchley) and Roots (Alex Haley). I feel like I've been listening to them forever. Two hours remaining on both, so nearly done. :lol:

Yesterday on Kindle (Monthly Deals for February) I bought:

A Captain's Duty - Richard Phillips (Captain Phillips was based on this book; I love that movie.

The Talisman - Peter Straub and Stephen King. I've read this before but it was only £0.99

Feral - George Monbiot.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:26 PM, Angury said:

I must admit it wasn't 'my kind of book' but I can see why it received so much critical acclaim. It's a groundbreaking piece of work for the time that it was written in, and even more importantly, it brought English Indian literature to the Western stage. 

The story itself is well done. It follows the history of India following its Independence through the eyes of a young child. Personally I didn't find the plot very engaging but I have to admit the writing was well done. 

I would however recommend it - I do think it's an insightful piece of work.

I may still read this in the future.

I've just finished re-reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and I had forgotten just how brilliant it is.

Whilst I try to find a copy of the second installment of this series, I've started 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith and it's really good so far.

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

Time for a new crime series for me, I've just started A Cold Death in Amsterdam by Anja dear Jager.

I've read this and quite enjoyed it, I have the next two in the series as well.

I've also just started "The Darkness" this morning, seems an easy read and a promising character and storyline, if not particularly original.  What did you think of it?

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I've read this and quite enjoyed it, I have the next two in the series as well.

I've also just started "The Darkness" this morning, seems an easy read and a promising character and storyline, if not particularly original.  What did you think of it?

I enjoyed The Darkness, it was a quick read and although I didn't really identify with the main character (a female almost pensioner) I did come to like her by the end of the book. In particular I thought the ending was superb.