Your Book Activity - January 2019

Athena

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I finished 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks and although it was very dark, I thought it was brilliant.

Now I'm attempting to continue 'Master and Commander's by Patrick O'Brien, a book I tried to read in 2018 and put down. On my second attempt, I think I'm finally getting into this book!

Still reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. It's a bit heavy going, so last night I picked up Silence of the Lambs which I'm devouring.

I'm also listening to Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, which is very enjoyable. 

Happy 2019 everyone! Hope you all had a great Christmas (if you celebrate) and a great December in general.

Great thanks to all who are involved in keeping this forum going. 

My reading this month, so far this year has been very good. My first read was Bridget Jones Baby by Helen Fielding and I am currently reading Misery by Stephen King which I am thoroughly enjoying. 

My main goal of the year is to get my physical to be read down. After my partner was given two bags full of books for me from a customer, it's going to be a fun year of reading. I am not worrying about how much I read. If I read 12 books this year I'll be very happy if I read 112 books I'll be very happy. 

Happy reading all :)

Happy new year all!

I thought my book count for last year would stay at 24 as I started A Column of Fire by Ken Follettearly December and wasn't getting through it that quickly. But I ended up racing through it towards the end of December and even squeezed in another book before the end of the year - The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James. 

This year, I started The Fireman by Joe Hill. I'm about 250 pages in so far and enjoying it a lot.

22 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Happy 2019 everyone! Hope you all had a great Christmas (if you celebrate) and a great December in general.

Great thanks to all who are involved in keeping this forum going. 

My reading this month, so far this year has been very good. My first read was Bridget Jones Baby by Helen Fielding and I am currently reading Misery by Stephen King which I am thoroughly enjoying. 

My main goal of the year is to get my physical to be read down. After my partner was given two bags full of books for me from a customer, it's going to be a fun year of reading. I am not worrying about how much I read. If I read 12 books this year I'll be very happy if I read 112 books I'll be very happy. 

Happy reading all :)

Happy Reading to you too :)!

What did you think of Bridget Jones' Baby? I didn't like the book very much I'm afraid. I liked the earlier books a lot more.

It's really nice about the bags full of books :)!

10 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Happy new year all!

I thought my book count for last year would stay at 24 as I started A Column of Fire by Ken Follettearly December and wasn't getting through it that quickly. But I ended up racing through it towards the end of December and even squeezed in another book before the end of the year - The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James. 

This year, I started The Fireman by Joe Hill. I'm about 250 pages in so far and enjoying it a lot.

What did you think of A Column of Fire and The Loneliest Girl of the Universe? Both are on my TBR :). I hope The Fireman is good, I have that on my TBR too.

9 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

Started Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie.

I hope you like this one! It's on my TBR.

I finished reading Autism in Heels by Jennifer Cook O'Toole. I liked this autism memoir/helpbook a lot. I plan to read a magazine for a couple of days, then to start read-a-thon-ing this upcoming weekend.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Happy Reading to you too :)!

What did you think of Bridget Jones' Baby? I didn't like the book very much I'm afraid. I liked the earlier books a lot more.

I did thank you :) sorry to hear you didnt though. When you like a series and the last book let's you down it is awful. 

It has made me want to watch the films again. 

I've been trying to read The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. It strikes me as quite a good book, but I really can't get into it, or excited about it - just another crime story with a damaged detective.  Or am I missing something?  Anyway, sent it back to the library today; I might try again some time, but definitely not in the mood at present.  Not sure what I'm in the mood for though!

18 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I did thank you :) sorry to hear you didnt though. When you like a series and the last book let's you down it is awful. 

It has made me want to watch the films again. 

I liked the Bridget Jones' Baby film more than Bridget Jones' Baby the book :). The first and second films are really good (but I love those books too).

I love Misery, a really great book. So much suspense with so little protagonists and limited setting.

On 7.1.2019 at 10:59 PM, More reading time required said:

But I ended up racing through it towards the end of December and even squeezed in another book before the end of the year - The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James.

How did you like it? I thought the first half was boring and I almost gave up and dnf-ed it, but then it got really good and suspenseful.

22 hours ago, willoyd said:

I've been trying to read The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. It strikes me as quite a good book, but I really can't get into it, or excited about it - just another crime story with a damaged detective.  Or am I missing something?  Anyway, sent it back to the library today; I might try again some time, but definitely not in the mood at present.  Not sure what I'm in the mood for though!

I thought it was average, and so haven't bothered with the sequels. I much preferred The Casual Vacancy. Different genre though. 

I'm listening to Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, which I am loving. The narration is superb and really brings the characters and story to life. This is probably my favourite audiobook so far. 

I'm also still reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton (seems to have picked up the pace after sagging a bit in the middle) and The Salt Path by Raynor Winn. 

I finished 'The City of Mirrors' by Justin Cronin the other day. It is the last book in The Passage trilogy.  The book is still sitting with me, so I ma waiting for my mind to settle before moving on to a new read.

Meanwhile I am doing lots of suguru grids, and handsewing a few tops to keep my brain ticking over. :D

Good luck with your re read @karen.d 

I finished The God of Small Things which was absolutely wonderful. It had been on my shelves for years but for some reason I never got round to it. Absolutely deserving of all the praise. 

I next read Lullaby by Leila Slimani, which was a rather satisfying, above average 'thriller' so to speak. 

Currently reading Dear Life by Alice Munro, and for the life of me I do not know why it took me so long to read some Munro. This is wonderful! 

On 08/01/2019 at 9:21 PM, willoyd said:

I read The Cuckoo's Calling a few years ago, I really enjoyed it at the time but yes it's quite 'average' as it happens.