Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Signing Up   11/06/2018

      Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

      June Supporter Giveaway   06/01/2019

      For the June giveaway I chose the theme 'The Gift of Reading.' One that I think we can all appreciate! The winner will receive four books, including:     The Gifts of Reading by Robert MacFarlane - 'An essay on the joy of reading, for anyone who has ever loved a book.'   plus three little short but (hopefully) thought provoking reading gifts...   The Reckoning by Edith Wharton - 'Two moving stories of love, loss, desire and divorce, from one of the great chroniclers of nineteenth-century New York life.' Create Dangerously by Albert Camus - 'Camus argues passionately that the artist has a responsibility to challenge, provoke and speak up for those who cannot in this powerful speech, accompanied here by two others.' It Was Snowing Butterflies by Charles Darwin - 'A selection of Darwin's extraordinary adventures during the voyage of the Beagle.'    As always, supporting members will be entered automatically into the random draw at the end of the month. If you want to be entered into the draw but don't support yet, you can do so here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum   Good luck   
Athena

Read-a-thon 2019

Recommended Posts

The BCF June Read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend. I look forward to reading my usual pile of manga and graphic novels and graphic memoirs (in May I didn't do this and instead went to my library, which I really enjoyed, but I'm looking forward this month to get back to my manga & graphic works).

 

Is anyone planning on doing some reading this upcoming weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I-m going to try and join in this weekend! Friday and Saturday are a little busy, but hopefully i-ll get some reading done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you'll be able to do some reading :), thanks for joining!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be joining in but I haven't decided what to read yet. I can't decide whether I feel like short stories or something crime related. I have quite a few things to get done this weekend, so probably won't have time for both, but we'll see! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you have fun reading whichever option you decide on :)!

 

EDIT: I've just realised that next Monday (the 10th) is a bank holiday here (Pentecost), so I might extend my read-a-thon reading to Monday. I'll see how I feel in the weekend :).

Edited by Athena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you'll be able to do some reading :), thanks for joining!

I'm reading 'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan as a buddy read with my friend, so I'm hoping to read some of that during the read-a-thon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, karen.d said:

I'm reading 'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan as a buddy read with my friend, so I'm hoping to read some of that during the read-a-thon.

 

I hope you're enjoying this one :). It's on my TBR.

 

My reading progress for the last few days (all are: manga or graphic novels or graphic memoirs).

 

Thursday:

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice Volume 4 (192 pages)

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 5 (re-read, 49 pages)

 

Friday:

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 5 (re-read, 153 pages)

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 6 (re-read, 201 pages)

 

Saturday:

Gigi D. G. - Cucumber Quest 4: The Flower Kingdom (237 pages)

Skottie Young - I Hate Fairyland Volume 3: Good Girl (129 pages)

Nagata Kabi - My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (143 pages)

Vera Brosgol (col. Alec Longstreth) - Be Prepared (255 pages)

David Small - Stitches (106 pages)

 

I plan to finish Stitches today (Sunday). I'm not sure what else I will read, I'll have a look through my pile later.

 

Anyone else want to post about their progress? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athena said:

 

I hope you're enjoying this one :). It's on my TBR.

 

My reading progress for the last few days (all are: manga or graphic novels or graphic memoirs).

 

Thursday:

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice Volume 4 (192 pages)

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 5 (re-read, 49 pages)

 

Friday:

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 5 (re-read, 153 pages)

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 6 (re-read, 201 pages)

 

Saturday:

Gigi D. G. - Cucumber Quest 4: The Flower Kingdom (237 pages)

Skottie Young - I Hate Fairyland Volume 3: Good Girl (129 pages)

Nagata Kabi - My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (143 pages)

Vera Brosgol (col. Alec Longstreth) - Be Prepared (255 pages)

David Small - Stitches (106 pages)

 

I plan to finish Stitches today (Sunday). I'm not sure what else I will read, I'll have a look through my pile later.

 

Anyone else want to post about their progress? :)

 

Wow, you read a lot! Yesterday, I read 122 pages of 'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan and today, I've just finished reading the last 72 pages of this book.  I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm off out to lunch in a while, so will decide when I get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're both doing great! Had a much slower read-a-thon here. I decided to start Folk by Zoe Gilbert and I've read the first three short stories in that, but only for a total of 42 pages!

 

Are you continuing the read-a-thon tomorrow @Athena?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, karen.d said:

Wow, you read a lot! Yesterday, I read 122 pages of 'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan and today, I've just finished reading the last 72 pages of this book.  I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm off out to lunch in a while, so will decide when I get back.

 

How was the book, did you like it? I hope you found something else nice to read :).

 

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

You're both doing great! Had a much slower read-a-thon here. I decided to start Folk by Zoe Gilbert and I've read the first three short stories in that, but only for a total of 42 pages!

 

Thank you! Are you liking the short stories?

 

My reading progress for yesterday:

David Small - Stitches (227 pages, finishing it)

Gene Luen Yang - Level Up (160 pages)

Ngozi Uhazu - Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey (277 pages)

 

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Are you continuing the read-a-thon tomorrow @Athena?

 

No, I've decided not to. I read 10 graphic works for the read-a-thon (Thu, Fri, Sat Sun), and I think it's good like that. I started on Thursday, I wasn't sure if I would, beforehand, but today (Monday) I've got some things to do so I'm okay stopping my read-a-thon reading until next time.

 

The July read-a-thon will take place on Fri-Sat-Sun the 5th, 6th and 7th of July.

 

As a future note, I won't be able to participate in the October read-a-thon unless we move it to a week later. But we can talk about that in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2019 at 8:15 AM, Athena said:

Thank you! Are you liking the short stories?

 

I am but they're a lot darker and more intense than I was expecting! 

 

I read another one of the stories on Sunday night, so that was 53 pages in total. Not much, but more than I probably would have read if it hadn't been the read-a-thon!

 

On 10/06/2019 at 8:15 AM, Athena said:

As a future note, I won't be able to participate in the October read-a-thon unless we move it to a week later. But we can talk about that in September.

 

I can say already that moving the October read-a-thon is fine with me but a reminder in September would be great :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I am but they're a lot darker and more intense than I was expecting! 

 

I read another one of the stories on Sunday night, so that was 53 pages in total. Not much, but more than I probably would have read if it hadn't been the read-a-thon!

 

Oh wow!

 

I'm glad you had fun reading this past weekend :).

 

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I can say already that moving the October read-a-thon is fine with me but a reminder in September would be great :lol:

 

Of course! I'm glad to hear it's fine with you :). I'll definitely post a reminder in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 9:15 AM, Athena said:

 

How was the book, did you like it? I hope you found something else nice to read :).

 

I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a it messy. I don't think I'll be reading anything else by Ruth Hogan though. I also managed to read about 30 pages of 'The Hole' by Guy Burt during the read-a-thon too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, karen.d said:

I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a it messy. I don't think I'll be reading anything else by Ruth Hogan though.

 

Thanks, it's good to know it was a bit messy. Shame it wasn't a great read :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×