Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

3 hours ago, Brian. said:

I am aiming to finish both my current books, The Girl with the Pearl Earring and Chickenhawk.  I've got a few bit to do today but I should be able to get some good reading time in so hopefully I will finished Chickenhawk by the time I got to bed tonight.

Good luck, I hope you'll be able to finish off both books!

20 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I hope you feel better soon too!

Thank you!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Athena I hope you feel better soon.

I think I managed to get about 270 pages read yesterday. Even though it was really enjoyable, Chickenhawk was slow reading for some reason, I think it has more words per page than the average book. I'm hoping to finish The Girl with the Pearl Earring today and then I can pick my next book(s) to read. I think deciding what to read next is my favourite part of being an avid reader.

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

Thanks Hayley. I am enjoying both and I have just finished Chickenhawk which I thought was great.

Oh well done! That was quick!

3 hours ago, Brian. said:

I think deciding what to read next is my favourite part of being an avid reader.

This and also the feeling of being completely immersed in a book. I was reading about the damp, misty atmosphere in The Woman in Black this morning and was slightly surprised when I looked up and remembered it was sunny in real life!

5 hours ago, Athena said:

Yesterday I read Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 13. I didn't feel up for doing any more reading, I'm still feeling pretty sick. I'm hoping to read Fruits Basket Volume 14 today.

Happy reading this weekend, @Hayley and @Brian.!

One book in a day is still really good! 

I only got through two short stories yesterday, 'How it Happened' and 'Playing with Fire' from Tales of Unease. I read four chapters of The Woman in Black this morning and only have four chapters left, so there's a good chance I'll finish that today. 

22 hours ago, Brian. said:

@Athena I hope you feel better soon.

I think I managed to get about 270 pages read yesterday. Even though it was really enjoyable, Chickenhawk was slow reading for some reason, I think it has more words per page than the average book. I'm hoping to finish The Girl with the Pearl Earring today and then I can pick my next book(s) to read. I think deciding what to read next is my favourite part of being an avid reader.

Thank you!

I hope you were able to finish The Girl with the Pearl Earring and that you enjoyed it. I agree, it's fun picking a new book to read!

18 hours ago, Hayley said:

I only got through two short stories yesterday, 'How it Happened' and 'Playing with Fire' from Tales of Unease. I read four chapters of The Woman in Black this morning and only have four chapters left, so there's a good chance I'll finish that today. 

I hope you'll be able to finish The Woman in Black this weekend :).

Yesterday I read Fruits Basket Volume 14 by Natsuki Takaya. I didn't feel like starting a new book (graphic novel / manga), so instead I decided to continue reading Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton, book 2 in The Commonwealth Saga duology. It's a re-read. I read from page 866 to page 977, so I made good progress.

I finished The Woman in Black yesterday and I've just got three short stories left in Tales of Unease so I should be able to do that!

3 hours ago, Athena said:

Yesterday I read Fruits Basket Volume 14 by Natsuki Takaya. I didn't feel like starting a new book (graphic novel / manga), so instead I decided to continue reading Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton, book 2 in The Commonwealth Saga duology. It's a re-read. I read from page 866 to page 977, so I made good progress.

That's really good! How many pages does Judas Unchained have?

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I finished The Woman in Black yesterday and I've just got three short stories left in Tales of Unease so I should be able to do that!

Well done! Did you enjoy The Woman in Black? Good luck reading the three short stories :).

That's really good! How many pages does Judas Unchained have?

1235! I have the mass market paperback edition. I've been reading it since the beginning of October, so I feel it's about time I'll finish it in a while! And then move on to something a lot shorter.

14 hours ago, Brian. said:

Finished another short book today, 160 pages, Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata. It didn’t really do it for me but it was good to get 3 days off good reading done.

It's a shame you didn't like it a lot. I've heard really good things from a couple of other people.Well done on all your reading though!

Yesterday/Sunday I read from page 977 to page 1069 of Judas Unchained (92 pages). Not as good progress as on Saturday, but I'm still pretty pleased. The end is in sight for this book!

On 03/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, Athena said:

Well done! Did you enjoy The Woman in Black? Good luck reading the three short stories :).

I did actually. I don't usually read horror but it wasn't quite what I expected, in a good way! I did finish Tales of Unease last night too, so I managed to read the two books I wanted to finish in the read-a-thon :) 

On 03/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, Athena said:

1235! I have the mass market paperback edition. I've been reading it since the beginning of October, so I feel it's about time I'll finish it in a while! And then move on to something a lot shorter.

That is big! I actually don't think I've ever read a book that long. I hope it's a really good book :lol:

17 hours ago, Brian. said:

Finished another short book today, 160 pages, Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata. It didn’t really do it for me but it was good to get 3 days off good reading done.

You managed to finish three books in the three days then didn't you? That's really good!

I've missed the read-a-thon again! I have been reading, but it was my mum's birthday yesterday, so I took her out for lunch on Sunday (most restaurants here are shut on Monday's) and then I have been trying to do NaNo Wri Mo too. I will try the next time to participate.

22 hours ago, Hayley said:

I did actually. I don't usually read horror but it wasn't quite what I expected, in a good way! I did finish Tales of Unease last night too, so I managed to read the two books I wanted to finish in the read-a-thon :) 

Well done :)!

22 hours ago, Hayley said:

That is big! I actually don't think I've ever read a book that long. I hope it's a really good book :lol:

I really like most of Peter F. Hamilton's books I've read, he's one of my favourite science-fiction authors. Judas Unchained is a re-read for me, so I knew it would be good, I knew I'd probably enjoy my re-read, as long as I'm in the mood for it :).

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

I've missed the read-a-thon again! I have been reading, but it was my mum's birthday yesterday, so I took her out for lunch on Sunday (most restaurants here are shut on Monday's) and then I have been trying to do NaNo Wri Mo too. I will try the next time to participate.

I hope you had fun with your mum :)!

The December read-a-thon will take place 6, 7 and 8 December. I'll be busy for some of that weekend, but should be able to do a bit of reading during at least some of the time that I'm not busy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, Athena said:

Well done :)!

I really like most of Peter F. Hamilton's books I've read, he's one of my favourite science-fiction authors. Judas Unchained is a re-read for me, so I knew it would be good, I knew I'd probably enjoy my re-read, as long as I'm in the mood for it :).

I hope you had fun with your mum :)!

The December read-a-thon will take place 6, 7 and 8 December. I'll be busy for some of that weekend, but should be able to do a bit of reading during at least some of the time that I'm not busy.

I will have just come back from my holiday, so i will be able to take part! Hopefully I'll remember this time :roll:

43 minutes ago, karen.d said:

I will have just come back from my holiday, so i will be able to take part! Hopefully I'll remember this time :roll:

Have fun on your holiday :D!!

I hope you will remember, I love seeing you around the forum :).

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Have fun on your holiday :D!!

I hope you will remember, I love seeing you around the forum :).

I haven't been around lately, because I've really busy and also I've been trying to do NaNoWriMo this month and failing badly!

On 05/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Athena said:

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but could you explain to me how a read-a-thon works?  I've seen loads of references to it, but not got around to finding out more before. 

Hope you have a great holiday @karen.d!

On 15/11/2019 at 9:09 PM, willoyd said:

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but could you explain to me how a read-a-thon works?  I've seen loads of references to it, but not got around to finding out more before. 

@Athena might be the best person to answer this but, as far as I understand it, it’s basically signing up to focus on reading for those three days. By checking in here and updating the thread with how much you’ve managed to read it’s just a little extra motivation, a fun challenge to yourself to see how much you can read in that time.

I like it because it gives me an extra excuse to read! When I might normally feel guilty about reading instead of doing something else I meant to do, I can think ‘well it is the read-a-thon’ and treat myself to extra time!

On 15/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, karen.d said:

I haven't been around lately, because I've really busy and also I've been trying to do NaNoWriMo this month and failing badly!

Aww I'm sorry your NaNoWriMo isn't going as well as you had hoped!

On 15/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, willoyd said:

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

@Athena might be the best person to answer this but, as far as I understand it, it’s basically signing up to focus on reading for those three days. By checking in here and updating the thread with how much you’ve managed to read it’s just a little extra motivation, a fun challenge to yourself to see how much you can read in that time.

I like it because it gives me an extra excuse to read! When I might normally feel guilty about reading instead of doing something else I meant to do, I can think ‘well it is the read-a-thon’ and treat myself to extra time!

@Hayley explained it pretty well! For read-a-thons in general, some of them in other places have specific themes or challenges, but for the BCF read-a-thon you can read whatever book or books you like. I want it to be relaxing.

Initally it was a way for me to spend those 3 days, to use most of my free/spare time on/for reading, and not feel guilty about it. Because back then (in 2013 when I started this) sometimes during other days, I didn't read a lot and instead did other things I wanted to do and by the time I was done with them, I didn't have any time left in the day to read. So I wanted to make reading a bit more of a priority. I'd seen this phenomenon read-a-thon in other places and so I brought it to BCF. For myself I used to read specific books during most of our read-a-thons, but as I said that's for each person individually to figure out. Most people, during the past 6 years, have just continued what they were already reading, I believe. I'm the nut that sometimes tries to have their current read finished a few days before the read-a-thon, then spend a few days not reading, to then read a lot during the read-a-thon.

Anyway.. I hope Hayley's and my answer help. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :).

5 hours ago, Athena said:

Anyway.. I hope Hayley's and my answer help. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :).

Definitely, and thank you both.  I've got a wee bit of extra possible reading time that weekend, so would like to take part if that's OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone who's reading this and interested, this is a friendly reminder that the December read-a-thon takes place in the weekend of 6, 7 and 8 December. This is NOT this upcoming weekend, but the weekend after that (so about a week and a day away).

On 28/11/2019 at 7:41 AM, Athena said:

Hey everyone who's reading this and interested, this is a friendly reminder that the December read-a-thon takes place in the weekend of 6, 7 and 8 December. This is NOT this upcoming weekend, but the weekend after that (so about a week and a day away).

Thanks for the reminder :). December's going to be really busy for me so I'm looking forward to setting aside some focused reading that weekend.

Has anyone decided what they're reading yet? 

Thanks for the reminder :). December's going to be really busy for me so I'm looking forward to setting aside some focused reading that weekend.

Yes, December is a busy month here too. I hope you will have some relaxing reading time :).

Has anyone decided what they're reading yet? 

I'm planning to read the next 2 volumes in the Fruits Basket series by Natsuki Takaya (15 & 16), but other than that I'm not sure yet. Probably some manga and / or graphic novels and / or illustrated children's books and / or short adult works :lol:. It will depend on what I feel in the mood for.