Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Maybe I've heard of him from your reading blog!

That's possible! :)

It was cool! I know the publishers are based in my county but I honestly didn't expect any of the stories to be set nearby. 

:D

I hope you've enjoyed all your reading so far!

I have! Yesterday I finished off Roller Girl (reading the last 140 pages), which was a really nice read. Then I read 68 pages of Unflattening by Nick Sousakis, which is interesting so far. I feel like some of it is beyond me though, it's sort of a graphic non-fiction philosophical piece (it's the author's thesis or project at university!).

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next read-a-thon dates don't work for me. For me personally I'll probably have my own version of the read-a-thon the weekend of 11-12-13 October, rather than 4-5-6 October. I don't know how that works for everyone else (Hayley, Karen)?

• 4 weeks later...

This is a reminder for the upcoming read-a-thon next weekend (11-12-13 October).

To be honest, I just spent the past week doing quite a bit of reading (on my holiday), so I don't feel in the reading mood just yet. I'm planning to not read a lot over the next few days, to then hopefully feel more in the reading mood when the weekend comes around :).

I'm looking forward to this read-a-thon! I think I'm going to try to read The Woman in Black and finish Arthur Conan Doyle's Tales of Unease. I'd like to make a start on another short story collection too, but I'm probably going to be out for quite a big chunk of Sunday, so we'll see how it goes! 

I hope you do feel more like reading by the weekend @Athena :) 

Is anybody else joining in for October? And are you going for spooky books too?

@Hayley I'm so glad you'll be joining me :friends3:!

I'm planning on reading 2 volumes of Fruits Basket (I've been reading 2 volumes during most of this year's read-a-thons), but other than that I have a stack of graphic novels and manga to choose from. I'm hoping to at least read Heartstopper Volume 2, because I've been looking forward to that one a lot. I'm also really looking forward to the newest Babysitters Club graphic novel. Other than those, I think I'll just see what I feel like, once I've finished those 4 books :).

11 hours ago, Brian. said:

I'm working over the weekend but hopefully I'll manage to get some reading in. My spooky read is currently Frankenstein and I may dig out something else Halloween related afterwards.

I hope you'll be able to do some reading and that you enjoy Frankenstein :).

I have read these books:

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket 11: Volume 11

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket 12: Volume 12

Ann M. Martin, Gail Galligan (col. Braden Lamb) - The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels 7: Boy-Crazy Stacey

Alice Oseman - Heartstopper 2: Volume 2

Raina Telgemeier - Smile 3: Guts

I'm spending time with my family today, so I doubt I'll be reading much. But we will see.

How is your reading going, @Hayley?

Glad you got to read the books you really wanted to @Athena

I've read four of the short stories from Tales of Unease (The New Catacomb, The Case of Lady Sannox, The Brazilian Cat and The Brown Hand) and the first chapter of The Woman in Black. Most of that is from Friday though, yesterday I ended up going for a bike ride and then having Chinese food with my family, so I just read one short story before bed. I think I'm going to read some more of The Woman in Black today, then read at least one more short story tonight.   

Your bike ride and spending time with your family sounds nice :). I hope you enjoyed your weekend of reading :).

I spent most of yesterday with my family, and after we got back home I felt too tired to read. Just before bed I did manage to read a bit in Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton (book 2 in the Commonwealth Saga, a re-read for me).

I don't feel I read lots, I read 4 out of 5 books on Thursday (I started a day early because I knew I wouldn't have much time and energy in the weekend), but at least I got through the ones I really wanted to read :).

I hope you'll join me again for the next read-a-thon, in November :).

Edited by Athena

I completely forgot that I didn't post to say I did read another chapter of The Woman in Black, as well as another short story from Tales of Unease!

On 14/10/2019 at 5:28 AM, Athena said:

Your bike ride and spending time with your family sounds nice :). I hope you enjoyed your weekend of reading :).

I did enjoy it,  thanks :) I hope you did too! I would say that four books is quite a lot!

Is the November read-a-thon going to start on the 1st?

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

I completely forgot that I didn't post to say I did read another chapter of The Woman in Black, as well as another short story from Tales of Unease!

I'm glad you had fun reading!!

Is the November read-a-thon going to start on the 1st?

Yes! Unless that's not a good time/date for you..?

I had been planning to go to the bookfair that weekend but.. they went bankrupt and so it won't be happening :wibbly:. So I should have time to read! If a different weekend in November suits you better, we can certainly move the read-a-thon, too.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Hayley said:

Maybe I've heard of him from your reading blog!

Well it turned out to be a very disappointing read :( Sorry I wet AWOL last month. I did take part in the last read-a-thon, but I think I forgot to post my progress :roll:

When is the next read-a-thon weekend? Have I missed it?

8 hours ago, karen.d said:

Well it turned out to be a very disappointing read :( Sorry I wet AWOL last month. I did take part in the last read-a-thon, but I think I forgot to post my progress :roll:

I hope everything is okay with you?

8 hours ago, karen.d said:

The October read-a-thon is over (we had it on the 11-12-13th), the November read-a-thon is on the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of November (Fri-Sat-Sun), so not this upcoming weekend, but the weekend after.

On 18/10/2019 at 6:46 AM, Athena said:

Yes! Unless that's not a good time/date for you..?

I had been planning to go to the bookfair that weekend but.. they went bankrupt and so it won't be happening :wibbly:. So I should have time to read! If a different weekend in November suits you better, we can certainly move the read-a-thon, too.

I honestly thought I’d already replied to this but I obviously didn’t press submit! Sorry for the delay. That weekend is fine for me :). What a shame the bookfair closed :(

On 22/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, karen.d said:

Aww no :( fingers crossed your next read-a-thon reading will be better! 

56 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I honestly thought I’d already replied to this but I obviously didn’t press submit! Sorry for the delay. That weekend is fine for me :). What a shame the bookfair closed :(

I'm glad that weekend is fine for you :)! Yeah, it's a real shame :(.

13 hours ago, Athena said:

The read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend.

I've got a bad cold :catsick:, so not sure how much I'll be able to read. We will see.

I'm really glad you posted this because I honestly forgot it was starting tomorrow! October has gone fast. I sympathise with your cold, I have one too and it is making it much harder to concentrate :(. The read-a-thon is a good extra excuse to get into bed early and read though! If we don't just fall asleep anyway...

I'm hoping to finish off The Woman in Black and Tales of Unease, because I've had them going for way too long now. That shouldn't be too hard, since they're both short anyway and I'm part way through both. I'm not sure after that though, I suppose I'll just see how I feel!

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm really glad you posted this because I honestly forgot it was starting tomorrow! October has gone fast. I sympathise with your cold, I have one too and it is making it much harder to concentrate :(. The read-a-thon is a good extra excuse to get into bed early and read though! If we don't just fall asleep anyway...

I'm so sorry you're having a cold too! I hope you feel better soon :empathy:.

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm hoping to finish off The Woman in Black and Tales of Unease, because I've had them going for way too long now. That shouldn't be too hard, since they're both short anyway and I'm part way through both. I'm not sure after that though, I suppose I'll just see how I feel!

I hope you can finish both of these off!!

I am aiming to finish both my current books, The Girl with the Pearl Earring and Chickenhawk.  I've got a few bit to do today but I should be able to get some good reading time in so hopefully I will finished Chickenhawk by the time I got to bed tonight.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm so sorry you're having a cold too! I hope you feel better soon :empathy:.

I hope you feel better soon too!

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I am aiming to finish both my current books, The Girl with the Pearl Earring and Chickenhawk.  I've got a few bit to do today but I should be able to get some good reading time in so hopefully I will finished Chickenhawk by the time I got to bed tonight.

Good luck! Are you enjoying both books so far?