Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Thank you! How far are you in IT?

I wish you all happy reading this weekend :readingtwo:!!

I'm about 37% into 'IT', I think i've read a total of 146 pages over the book over the last two days which is ok. I'm going to read more this afternoon and evening.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'm about 37% into 'IT', I think i've read a total of 146 pages over the book over the last two days which is ok. I'm going to read more this afternoon and evening.

That's really good! How many pages is IT in total? 

I've read 11 more pages of The Tiger Warrior and honestly nothing has happened apart from three characters having a conversation about history... most of it is repeated information (since we saw the historical period they're talking about in the first pages) and the voices are so similar I keep forgetting who's speaking. It's not looking good for this book!

18 hours ago, Hayley said:

I did like At the End of the Passage, thank you :). It's not my favourite short story,  but it was interesting. The next story is The Country of the Blind by H.G Wells, which I'm looking forward to. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I've read The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, but I didn't know he has written some short stories too. I hope it's good!

That sounds like a good reading plan! I hope you've enjoyed all 4 books :) 

Thanks, I did :)!

17 hours ago, karen.d said:

That's pretty nice :)! Well done!

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

That's really good! How many pages is IT in total? 

My copy has 1376 pages, it's the longest book I own. I love IT. I can't speak for Karen, I'm sure she'll be back and answer about her own copy :).

I've read 11 more pages of The Tiger Warrior and honestly nothing has happened apart from three characters having a conversation about history... most of it is repeated information (since we saw the historical period they're talking about in the first pages) and the voices are so similar I keep forgetting who's speaking. It's not looking good for this book!

That's not looking good! Shame :(.

Yesterday morning I finished Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 3: Gymroddels and I read Frank Cottrell Boyce (ill. Steven Lenton) - The Astounding Broccoli Boy which I finished just before dinner.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it :). I've read The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, but I didn't know he has written some short stories too. I hope it's good!

It was really good! Completely different to what I expected but a great concept, very thought provoking.

It was 26 pages long so that's two short stories and a bit of The Tiger Warrior for 58 pages in total so far (I feel like it's been more though, the print in the penguin book is very small!)

1 hour ago, Athena said:

My copy has 1376 pages, it's the longest book I own. I love IT. I can't speak for Karen, I'm sure she'll be back and answer about her own copy :).

Oh wow, it's even bigger than I thought it was! 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Yesterday morning I finished Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 3: Gymroddels and I read Frank Cottrell Boyce (ill. Steven Lenton) - The Astounding Broccoli Boy which I finished just before dinner.

The Astounding Broccoli Boy sounds like it was probably pretty funny, I hope you enjoyed both books :) 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

It was really good! Completely different to what I expected but a great concept, very thought provoking.

That sounds great!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

The Astounding Broccoli Boy sounds like it was probably pretty funny, I hope you enjoyed both books :) 

Thanks, it was funny! I liked both books yes :).

22 hours ago, Athena said:

My copy  of 'IT' is 1138 pages long. I managed to read 284 pages of the book this weekend, which isn't as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but I was really tired. It does mean that I'm 51% into the book though. Hopefully I'll finish this by the end of the week.

34 minutes ago, karen.d said:

My copy  of 'IT' is 1138 pages long. I managed to read 284 pages of the book this weekend, which isn't as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but I was really tired. It does mean that I'm 51% into the book though. Hopefully I'll finish this by the end of the week.

My Dutch copy has 1158 pages, not sure why my English copy has so many pages then! It does have a bit larger than usual font. I'm glad you made some progress, even if it's not as much as you'd hoped, and that youare just over halfway into the book. I hope you can finish it by the end of the week, I look forward to read your review on it on your blog :).

I started Liesbeth Smith - Ik moet nog even kijken of ik kan, a Dutch non-fiction book about introverts. I read 33 pages in it yesterday. I had a lot of other things to do and since I'd been reading a lot the days before, I didn't want to read lots yesterday, I needed a bit of a break.

Overall I enjoyed the read-a-thon and it helped me get through some library loans :). The next read-a-thon is scheduled to take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of September (Fri-Sat-Sun).

Thanks for reading with me, Hayley and Karen :friends3:!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

My Dutch copy has 1158 pages, not sure why my English copy has so many pages then! It does have a bit larger than usual font. I'm glad you made some progress, even if it's not as much as you'd hoped, and that youare just over halfway into the book. I hope you can finish it by the end of the week, I look forward to read your review on it on your blog :).

I started Liesbeth Smith - Ik moet nog even kijken of ik kan, a Dutch non-fiction book about introverts. I read 33 pages in it yesterday. I had a lot of other things to do and since I'd been reading a lot the days before, I didn't want to read lots yesterday, I needed a bit of a break.

Overall I enjoyed the read-a-thon and it helped me get through some library loans :). The next read-a-thon is scheduled to take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of September (Fri-Sat-Sun).

Looking forward to the next read-a-thon!

3 hours ago, karen.d said:

I think 284 pages is great! 

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Glad it helped you get through your library loans! I enjoyed the read-a-thon too, although I didn't end up reading loads (another 21 pages of The Tiger Warrior yesterday), it helped me get out of the reading slump I was in by making me decide on something to read!

Looking forward to next month too :) 

20 hours ago, karen.d said:

Looking forward to the next read-a-thon!

That's great to hear, me too!

Glad it helped you get through your library loans! I enjoyed the read-a-thon too, although I didn't end up reading loads (another 21 pages of The Tiger Warrior yesterday), it helped me get out of the reading slump I was in by making me decide on something to read!

That's really nice :)!

Looking forward to next month too :) 

I'm glad to hear that, me too!

• 4 weeks later...

September's BCF Read-a-thon takes place this upcoming weekend, Friday-Saturday-Sunday, on the 6th, 7th and 8th (of September).

I'm excited :D!!

Also, I'm doing the ScoobyDooAThon (BookTube) for the next 2ish weeks (2nd - 15th of September), so I have a couple of reads that I'll be reading for our read-a-thon as well as that read-a-thon.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

September's BCF Read-a-thon takes place this upcoming weekend, Friday-Saturday-Sunday, on the 6th, 7th and 8th (of September).

I'm excited :D!!

Also, I'm doing the ScoobyDooAThon (BookTube) for the next 2ish weeks (2nd - 15th of September), so I have a couple of reads that I'll be reading for our read-a-thon as well as that read-a-thon.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the ScoobyDooAThon literally for reading Scooby Doo books? Or is it like a mystery theme?

I'm expecting to have quite a busy weekend, especially on Friday and Saturday, but I'm still planning to try to get a couple of short stories in, at least, for the read-a-thon!

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the ScoobyDooAThon literally for reading Scooby Doo books? Or is it like a mystery theme?

No, it's not a stupid question! I had no idea Scooby Doo books even existed. The ScoobyDooAThon is not mystery themed, there are 7 challenges, based on the characters:

1. Scooby Doo: A book with the title or author's name starting with the letter R

2. Shaggy: Read a book in your best friend's favourite genre

3. Velma: A book with a genius protagonist in

4. Fred: A book with white and blue on the front cover

5. Daphne: A cover buy book

6 Scrappy Doo: A book with less than 200 pages

7 Scooby snacks: Do 7 books for the 7 challenges

Group Book: Meddling kids by Edgar Cantero

It runs from the 2nd to the 15th of September. Several of my YouTube friends are participating, so I thought I would try too :).

I'm planning on reading Meddling Kids since it's the group book and it sounded good. I'm reading Hurricane Season by Nicole Melleby for Read a book in a friend's favourite genre, as I have several YouTube friends who loved this book, and/or I could pick it as cover buy book as I do love the cover. The rest of the options I'm still thinking about. I'm a big mood reader. I have various graphic novels and manga and also a couple of children's books I plan on picking from, depending on my mood.

You don't have to do all of the challenges, so I'm just going to see how far I get :). But with graphic novels, manga and children's books it should be okay.

I'm expecting to have quite a busy weekend, especially on Friday and Saturday, but I'm still planning to try to get a couple of short stories in, at least, for the read-a-thon!

I hope you'll be able to read some short stories :)!

11 hours ago, Athena said:

No, it's not a stupid question! I had no idea Scooby Doo books even existed. The ScoobyDooAThon is not mystery themed, there are 7 challenges, based on the characters:

1. Scooby Doo: A book with the title or author's name starting with the letter R

2. Shaggy: Read a book in your best friend's favourite genre

3. Velma: A book with a genius protagonist in

4. Fred: A book with white and blue on the front cover

5. Daphne: A cover buy book

6 Scrappy Doo: A book with less than 200 pages

7 Scooby snacks: Do 7 books for the 7 challenges

Group Book: Meddling kids by Edgar Cantero

It runs from the 2nd to the 15th of September. Several of my YouTube friends are participating, so I thought I would try too :).

I'm planning on reading Meddling Kids since it's the group book and it sounded good. I'm reading Hurricane Season by Nicole Melleby for Read a book in a friend's favourite genre, as I have several YouTube friends who loved this book, and/or I could pick it as cover buy book as I do love the cover. The rest of the options I'm still thinking about. I'm a big mood reader. I have various graphic novels and manga and also a couple of children's books I plan on picking from, depending on my mood.

You don't have to do all of the challenges, so I'm just going to see how far I get :). But with graphic novels, manga and children's books it should be okay.

I hope you'll be able to read some short stories :)!

Oh, that sounds really good! Much better than what I thought it was :lol:. It did take me a minute to work out why the first challenge was to read a book with the title or author's name beginning with an R though!

I'm considering starting Diane Setterfield's Once Upon a River instead (or possibly as well!) now. I keep seeing adverts for the paperback release and they're making me really want to read it!

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oh, that sounds really good! Much better than what I thought it was :lol:. It did take me a minute to work out why the first challenge was to read a book with the title or author's name beginning with an R though!

Me too!

I'm considering starting Diane Setterfield's Once Upon a River instead (or possibly as well!) now. I keep seeing adverts for the paperback release and they're making me really want to read it!

I hope you enjoy this one! I have The Thirteenth Tale by the same author, but I haven't read it yet. I hope Once Upon a River is good!

11 hours ago, Athena said:

Me too!

I hope you enjoy this one! I have The Thirteenth Tale by the same author, but I haven't read it yet. I hope Once Upon a River is good!

Thank you! I have The Thirteenth Tale too but also haven't read it yet. I did read just the first page of Once Upon a River to help me decide whether to read it next and I have a very good feeling about it already!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

That sounds promising :)!

@karen.d will you be participating this weekend?

Yes, of course! I'm planning to try and finish 'The Crow Trap' by Ann Cleaves, a book I've been reading for a buddy read with my friend. She finished it about a week ago, so I'd better hurry up! Other than that, I don't know what else I will read. I have been given a fantasy series to read, by a friend, so I might make a start on that.

I'm also taking part in a daily writing challenge during this month, so It looks like this weekend is going to be very busy!

Have a great reading weekend everyone and good luck with the challenge!

22 hours ago, karen.d said:

Yes, of course! I'm planning to try and finish 'The Crow Trap' by Ann Cleaves, a book I've been reading for a buddy read with my friend. She finished it about a week ago, so I'd better hurry up! Other than that, I don't know what else I will read. I have been given a fantasy series to read, by a friend, so I might make a start on that.

Have fun with your reading :):readingtwo:!

22 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'm also taking part in a daily writing challenge during this month, so It looks like this weekend is going to be very busy!

Thank you, good luck with your writing challenge and have a good weekend :)!

New read-a-thon plan for me as I'm not at home and, stupidly, forgot to bring either Once Upon a River or my Penguin book of short stories... 

Luckily though, I do have my kindle, so I'll be choosing something from that instead!

On 05/09/2019 at 10:28 AM, karen.d said:

Good luck with the writing challenge! I hope you get to finish The Crow Trap (I originally read it as The Cow Trap, which doesn't sound nearly as mysterious :blush:)

New read-a-thon plan for me as I'm not at home and, stupidly, forgot to bring either Once Upon a River or my Penguin book of short stories... 

Luckily though, I do have my kindle, so I'll be choosing something from that instead!

Good luck with the writing challenge! I hope you get to finish The Crow Trap (I originally read it as The Cow Trap, which doesn't sound nearly as mysterious :blush:)

Oh no :(!! I'm glad you have your Kindle at least :D.

Haha, The Cow Trap! I hope you are able to finish it and that you enjoy it :)!!

Happy reading to you both, this weekend!

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Oh no :(!! I'm glad you have your Kindle at least :D.

Haha, The Cow Trap! I hope you are able to finish it and that you enjoy it :)!!

I've finished the last 170ish pages I had left of 'The Crow Trap'. Now I'm about to start reading 'The Finisher' by David Baldacci. Some friends of mine gave me the trilogy, because they know I like fantasy/sci-fi type books. I have no idea what this is about!

6 hours ago, karen.d said:

I've finished the last 170ish pages I had left of 'The Crow Trap'. Now I'm about to start reading 'The Finisher' by David Baldacci. Some friends of mine gave me the trilogy, because they know I like fantasy/sci-fi type books. I have no idea what this is about!

That was really good going! I've heard of David Baldacci but I can't remember why, The Finisher doesn't sound familiar. I hope you enjoy it!

14 hours ago, Athena said:

Happy reading to you too! 

Yesterday I read the first story from the Alchemy Press Book of Ancient Wonders. I'm glad I did read that in the end. I was in the mood for a short story and really enjoyed it. Weirdly, it was mainly set in a park that's close to where I live! I can't remember if it had page numbers, I'll have to check. 

Earlier I read to page 35 of Once Upon a River, which isn't much but it's so beautifully told I don't want to rush it! It's one of those books where you go back to read the last sentence because it was just so perfect. 

15 hours ago, karen.d said:

I haven't heard of The Finisher, but I have read 3 books (well, 2 novels, 1 novella) by David Baldacci and I liked all of them. I didn't know he'd written a fantasy/scifi trilogy! I hope it's enjoyable :).

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

Happy reading to you too! 

Thank you :friends3:!

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yesterday I read the first story from the Alchemy Press Book of Ancient Wonders. I'm glad I did read that in the end. I was in the mood for a short story and really enjoyed it. Weirdly, it was mainly set in a park that's close to where I live! I can't remember if it had page numbers, I'll have to check. 

Earlier I read to page 35 of Once Upon a River, which isn't much but it's so beautifully told I don't want to rush it! It's one of those books where you go back to read the last sentence because it was just so perfect. 

Wow, how cool it was set close to where you live! I've only read a few books that are even set in my province/county. It sounds like Once Upon a River has beautiful writing! It makes sense you don't want to rush it :).

Yesterday I read Fruits Basket Volume 9 and Fruits Basket Volume 10, both by Natsuki Takaya (two manga volumes, 199 and 203 pages respectively). I also read the first 30ish pages of Roller Girl by Victoriea Jamieson.

5 hours ago, Athena said:

I haven't heard of The Finisher, but I have read 3 books (well, 2 novels, 1 novella) by David Baldacci and I liked all of them. I didn't know he'd written a fantasy/scifi trilogy! I hope it's enjoyable :).

Maybe I've heard of him from your reading blog!

Wow, how cool it was set close to where you live! I've only read a few books that are even set in my province/county. It sounds like Once Upon a River has beautiful writing! It makes sense you don't want to rush it :).

It was cool! I know the publishers are based in my county but I honestly didn't expect any of the stories to be set nearby. 

Yesterday I read Fruits Basket Volume 9 and Fruits Basket Volume 10, both by Natsuki Takaya (two manga volumes, 199 and 203 pages respectively). I also read the first 30ish pages of Roller Girl by Victoriea Jamieson.

I hope you've enjoyed all your reading so far!