Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

18 hours ago, Brian. said:

Good day for me today, I read the last 50ish pages of Rivers of London and this evening I had read Dare to Tri bringing my total for the day to about 300 pages.

Wow, that's really well done! I'm glad you had a good time reading :). Is Dare to Tri non-fiction or fiction?

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yay, read-a-thon day :lol:

:D

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

I was out for a lot of the day but I just read Hunted Down: The Detective Stories of Charles Dickens. It was a lot shorter than I expected, so I just read it in one go (weirdly short actually, but I'll review it properly on my book log soon). It's also the first thing I've actually read on my new kindle! It doesn't seem to have page numbers... unless it's just me being stupid... but one short story down for me anyway!

That's not you being stupid! Most of the books I've read on my Kindle, don't come with page numbers. I have to look it up online to work it out how many page is % read (my own database, Amazon or GoodReads). I don't know how it works for your Kindle, for my 1rst generation Paperwhite, in the left bottom corner it tells you location / page numbers / time left in chapter / time left in book / nothing. It displays one of those 5 things. You can cycle through them, by tapping the left bottom corner. If the book does not have page numbers, it will skip over that one. Because so many of the books I read on my Kindle, do not have page numbers, and the time left in chapter and time left in book is almost never accurate, I just have it always set to 'location' (which is only a little bit indicative of how much you've read but okay). But I don't know how it works for newer or different Kindles! They may not have that feature or have it in a different place.

On Thursday I read Fruits Basket Volume 7 (re-read). On Friday I read Fruits Basket Volume 8 (not a re-read) and I read I Hate Fairyland 4: Sadly Never After. I haven't done much reading yet today and I'm really tired from being out for a large part of the day, so not sure how much I'll read today. We will see.

Happy reading, everyone :readingtwo:!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks @Athena! I just checked the bottom left corner and it does have page numbers! It's a bit confusing still, because goodreads says it should have been 57 pages, there's a review on goodreads that says it was 19 pages and my kindle says it had 32 pages... The kindle version is also titled incorrectly, which I suppose might explain why there's different page numbers.

Assuming my own kindle is correct, I read a total of 91 pages yesterday (Hunted Down plus 59 pages of Witch Born by Nicholas Bowling).

I'm pretty happy with that and hoping to read another chunk of Witch Born later :) 

Hope everyone's enjoying their books!

@Athena Dare to Tri is a non-fiction book written by a TV presenter in the UK who did her first triathlon at 45 and ended up representing Great Britain in her age group in the European triathlon championship.

@Hayley I really enjoyed Rivers of London, I'll post some more in depth thoughts in my thread hopefully tomorrow.

I had a really good day of reading today, I read 2 books, Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. The total for today was about 420 pages, my total for the readathon so far is 720 pages.

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thanks @Athena! I just checked the bottom left corner and it does have page numbers! It's a bit confusing still, because goodreads says it should have been 57 pages, there's a review on goodreads that says it was 19 pages and my kindle says it had 32 pages... The kindle version is also titled incorrectly, which I suppose might explain why there's different page numbers.

Assuming my own kindle is correct, I read a total of 91 pages yesterday (Hunted Down plus 59 pages of Witch Born by Nicholas Bowling).

I'm glad you were able to find it on your Kindle :). How odd about your Kindle vs. GoodReads! Sometimes GoodReads and Amazon differ too, then I go by Amazon since they are the ones that sell it (and GoodReads is sometimes incorrect for paperbooks I read too).

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

@Athena Dare to Tri is a non-fiction book written by a TV presenter in the UK who did her first triathlon at 45 and ended up representing Great Britain in her age group in the European triathlon championship.

Nice, I thought it might have something to do with sports. Did you like the book?

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

I had a really good day of reading today, I read 2 books, Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. The total for today was about 420 pages, my total for the readathon so far is 720 pages.

That's a lot of pages! I look forward to read your thoughts on Perks in your thread, I read the books years ago.

Yesterday I read 25% of My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 3: My Solo Exchange Diary 2 by Nagata Kabi, and then realised I was reading book 3 instead of book 2. So then I started and finished My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 2: My Solo Exchange Diary 1. I had read the first book about a month ago in our June read-a-thon I believe. I plan to go back to My Solo Exchange Diary 2 today, though I haven't decided yet if I will re-read or skim or skip the pages I read yesterday by accident.

I wish everyone happy reading during this last day of the read-a-thon (Sunday)!

19 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you were able to find it on your Kindle :). How odd about your Kindle vs. GoodReads! Sometimes GoodReads and Amazon differ too, then I go by Amazon since they are the ones that sell it (and GoodReads is sometimes incorrect for paperbooks I read too).

Nice, I thought it might have something to do with sports. Did you like the book?

That's a lot of pages! I look forward to read your thoughts on Perks in your thread, I read the books years ago.

Yesterday I read 25% of My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 3: My Solo Exchange Diary 2 by Nagata Kabi, and then realised I was reading book 3 instead of book 2. So then I started and finished My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 2: My Solo Exchange Diary 1. I had read the first book about a month ago in our June read-a-thon I believe. I plan to go back to My Solo Exchange Diary 2 today, though I haven't decided yet if I will re-read or skim or skip the pages I read yesterday by accident.

I wish everyone happy reading during this last day of the read-a-thon (Sunday)!

This read-a-thon, I managed to read 305 pages of 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke. Considering I'm not really enjoying this book (i'm too far into the book to DNF it), that's not bad!

1 hour ago, karen.d said:

This read-a-thon, I managed to read 305 pages of 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke. Considering I'm not really enjoying this book (i'm too far into the book to DNF it), that's not bad!

That's pretty good! Particularly if you're not really enjoying the book. How far into the book are you? I liked the movie Inkheart but haven't yet read the book/trilogy it's based on.

Yesterday I finished My Solo Exchange Diary 2 by Nagata Kabi, I ended up re-reading most of the pages I read on Saturday. I didn't read anything else. Yesterday my brother and his girlfriend came by unexpectedly (rather, I heard about it maybe an hour beforehand), I phoned with my sister, I spent time with my parents, I did laundry, basically it was already pretty late in the day (for me) by the time I could sit down and have some time on my own. I did enjoy spending time with my family though. I felt pretty exhausted from Saturday and Sunday, so after I finished My Solo Exchange Diary 2, I felt too tired to read anything else.

I hope you all had fun reading during this read-a-thon :).

The next read-a-thon is scheduled to take place on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of August (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Though as usual, if anyone wants the dates moved to a different weekend, we can discuss that. I don't know if anyone's going on holiday or anything. Mine will be end of September / beginning of October, so I will have to skip the October read-a-thon (unless we move it).

Thank you all for participating :)!

4 hours ago, Athena said:

That's pretty good! Particularly if you're not really enjoying the book. How far into the book are you? I liked the movie Inkheart but haven't yet read the book/trilogy it's based on.

I was about 80% into the book when I wrote my last message. I've now finished 'Inkheart' and I found it very disappointing. I wanted to really love it too. I hope you enjoy it if you read this book, it wasn't for me though.

21 hours ago, karen.d said:

I was about 80% into the book when I wrote my last message. I've now finished 'Inkheart' and I found it very disappointing. I wanted to really love it too. I hope you enjoy it if you read this book, it wasn't for me though.

I forgot to post my last update! I read 150 pages of Witch Born on Sunday, so I read 241 pages in total this read-a-thon. Not as much as I wanted to read but better than it would have been if it hadn’t been the read-a-thon.

Hope you enjoyed your reading @Athena, even though you were tired from other things. 

@karen.d it’s a shame Inkheart disappointed you. I haven’t read it or seen the film but I had heard that it’s meant to be good.

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Not as much as I wanted to read but better than it would have been if it hadn’t been the read-a-thon.

:D!

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Hope you enjoyed your reading @Athena, even though you were tired from other things.

Thanks, I did :). I hope you enjoyed your reading as well!

On 07/07/2019 at 11:25 AM, Athena said:

I did enjoy the triathlon book and also Perks. I need to update my thread and when I do I will put my thoughts in there. I managed another 100ish pages on Sunday so it was a very successful readathon for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is scheduled for this next upcoming weekend, the [/b]2nd[/b], 3rd and 4th of August (next Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

I just spent a week reading quite a bit (it was The Reading Rush - 22nd to 28th of July), and I have my library loans. I need a break from reading for a little while, so I may not read a lot today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Then I have to think about, do I think I can finish my library loans on time that I can read some graphic novels and manga during BCF August read-a-thon (like I usually do), or will I read my library loans instead (but I already read the ones with the most pictures)?

Anyway.. will anyone be joining me in doing the read-a-thon this upcoming weekend?

1 hour ago, Athena said:

The next read-a-thon is scheduled for this next upcoming weekend, the [/b]2nd[/b], 3rd and 4th of August (next Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

I just spent a week reading quite a bit (it was The Reading Rush - 22nd to 28th of July), and I have my library loans. I need a break from reading for a little while, so I may not read a lot today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Then I have to think about, do I think I can finish my library loans on time that I can read some graphic novels and manga during BCF August read-a-thon (like I usually do), or will I read my library loans instead (but I already read the ones with the most pictures)?

Anyway.. will anyone be joining me in doing the read-a-thon this upcoming weekend?

I-m planning on participating in the read-a-thon this weekend. I want to make some progress on 'IT' by Stephen King

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

I-m planning on participating in the read-a-thon this weekend. I want to make some progress on 'IT' by Stephen King

Yay, I'm happy you're participating :D!! I hope you can make some progress on IT :). I love that book.

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Me! I’ve been really indecisive about what to read recently so hopefully the read-a-thon will help :lol:.

Hope you make good progress on IT @karen.d :) 

Thanks! I'm about 200 pages into 'it' now. So hopefully I will be able to read a chunk of this book, over the read-a-thon.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, Hayley said:

Me! I’ve been really indecisive about what to read recently so hopefully the read-a-thon will help :lol:.

Yay :friends3:!I hope you'll be able to do some reading.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, Brian. said:

I won’t be able to join in much this time around as I’ll be working for a chunk of it but hopefully I can manage at least a little reading.

I hope you can do a least a bit of reading :)!

I've decided I can't really take a break from my library loans if I want to get all or most of them read, so I'll just be reading my library loans. I finished a book yesterday, so I'll see which loans I feel in the mood to read this weekend (and that are also a bit suitable for the read-a-thon for my brain).

It's a little early, but I hope everyone who participates, has fun reading this weekend :).

4 hours ago, Athena said:

I've decided I can't really take a break from my library loans if I want to get all or most of them read, so I'll just be reading my library loans. I finished a book yesterday, so I'll see which loans I feel in the mood to read this weekend (and that are also a bit suitable for the read-a-thon for my brain).

It's a little early, but I hope everyone who participates, has fun reading this weekend :).

Have fun reading too! I've read a few pages of 'IT' this morning. I'm going to be busy this afternoon, so I will try and read some more later.. 

12 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope they all turn out to be good! :) 

I went for a slightly weird option and picked out a book that I'm not really expecting to like that much, The Tiger Warrior by David Gibbons. I picked it up a really long time ago in a charity shop, not realising it was actually the third in a series. I looked it up to see if you could read them individually, which you can, but in the process I also saw that it doesn't have great reviews. There's a chance I might DNF it before the end of the read-a-thon if I really can't get into it.

I'm also going to read some short stories from the penguin book I was reading last month. So far today I read At the End of the Passage by Rudyard Kipling, which was 21 pages. 

18 hours ago, karen.d said:

Have fun reading too! I've read a few pages of 'IT' this morning. I'm going to be busy this afternoon, so I will try and read some more later.. 

Thank you! How far are you in IT?

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I hope they all turn out to be good! :) 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I went for a slightly weird option and picked out a book that I'm not really expecting to like that much, The Tiger Warrior by David Gibbons. I picked it up a really long time ago in a charity shop, not realising it was actually the third in a series. I looked it up to see if you could read them individually, which you can, but in the process I also saw that it doesn't have great reviews. There's a chance I might DNF it before the end of the read-a-thon if I really can't get into it.

I'm also going to read some short stories from the penguin book I was reading last month. So far today I read At the End of the Passage by Rudyard Kipling, which was 21 pages. 

I hope you enjoy The Tiger Warrior allright. Did you like At the End of the Passage?

Yesterday I read 3 books:

Anna Ruhe - De Magische Apotheek 1: Er hangt een geheim in de lucht (Die Duftapotheke 1: Ein Geheimnis liegt in der Luft),

David O'Connell (ill. Claire Powell) - The Dundoodle Mysteries 1: The Chocolate Factory Ghost and

Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 1: Nikki op Turnkamp.

I started a 4th book: Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 3: Gymroddels. I would've slowed down normally but I want to get my library loans finished before I have to hand them in, and I have some more that will take me a while to read, so I'm trying to read the shorter, easier ones, quicker so that I have more time for the longer ones.

I wish you all happy reading this weekend :readingtwo:!!

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Thank you! How far are you in IT?

I hope you enjoy The Tiger Warrior allright. Did you like At the End of the Passage?

Yesterday I read 3 books:

Anna Ruhe - De Magische Apotheek 1: Er hangt een geheim in de lucht (Die Duftapotheke 1: Ein Geheimnis liegt in der Luft),

David O'Connell (ill. Claire Powell) - The Dundoodle Mysteries 1: The Chocolate Factory Ghost and

Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 1: Nikki op Turnkamp.

I started a 4th book: Simone Kortsmit - Turntoppers 3: Gymroddels. I would've slowed down normally but I want to get my library loans finished before I have to hand them in, and I have some more that will take me a while to read, so I'm trying to read the shorter, easier ones, quicker so that I have more time for the longer ones.

I wish you all happy reading this weekend :readingtwo:!!

I did like At the End of the Passage, thank you :). It's not my favourite short story,  but it was interesting. The next story is The Country of the Blind by H.G Wells, which I'm looking forward to. 

That sounds like a good reading plan! I hope you've enjoyed all 4 books :)