Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The March read-a-thon starts this Friday, in two days, and I am super excited :D. I didn't read my usual graphic novels / memoirs & manga during the February read-a-thon, because I was reading library loans, so it's been two months (since the January read-a-thon). I did read one graphic novel (an omnibus actually) earlier this month. I've got lots of reads lined up for this upcoming weekend and am super excited to get started! I would get started tomorrow but March doesn't start until Friday, so I will wait. If I feel like it, I might extend the read-a-thon and read lots on Monday as well. Saturday - Tuesday here is a holiday for many people in the south, so my therapist is coming on Thursday rather than the usual Monday. My parents will be going to their work as usually I believe (my mum works in the middle of the country and it is not holidays there). Schools will be shut the whole of next week. I have a bit of a busy day on Saturday, my grandparents are coming by for a visit and we'll have dinner with them (with the 6 of us in total). So I expect to get more reading done on the other days, than on Saturday. But we'll see.

Is anyone else excited for the read-a-thon? :)

Yes! I haven't quite decided what to read yet though, it depends how far I get into The Corset before Friday. Apart from being out during the day on Friday I have planned to spend the rest of the weekend in so, fingers crossed, I should be able to get a fair amount of reading done! :boogie: 

Looks like I've joined the forum at the perfect time; I don't have any plans for this weekend and was planning on spending a good portion of it reading anyway so I'd love to participate if that's okay.

How does it work? Do you keep a tally of pages read or time spent reading, or both? Do we pop in periodically and give updates or do people just come on at the end and give a final tally?

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yes! I haven't quite decided what to read yet though, it depends how far I get into The Corset before Friday. Apart from being out during the day on Friday I have planned to spend the rest of the weekend in so, fingers crossed, I should be able to get a fair amount of reading done! :boogie:

That sounds great :D!! Have fun :readingtwo:.

3 minutes ago, Paperback Bliss said:

Looks like I've joined the forum at the perfect time; I don't have any plans for this weekend and was planning on spending a good portion of it reading anyway so I'd love to participate if that's okay.

I'd love it if you participated :)! Of course it's okay :friends3:.

3 minutes ago, Paperback Bliss said:

How does it work? Do you keep a tally of pages read or time spent reading, or both? Do we pop in periodically and give updates or do people just come on at the end and give a final tally?

There are no rules :). Most of us keep a tally of page counts, per day or per book, or one amount for the whole weekend. It's really up to you! You don't have to keep a tally at all if you don't want to. I always track page counts (per day and per book, and total it up per day). I used to keep a log of time spent reading in earlier years, but haven't done that in a while. I found it too stressful to keep track of time spent reading. However, you are welcome to record time spent reading if you wish! Most of us try to post I think about once a day about our progress, but some people post multiple times per day or just once at the end. Again, there are no rules. We're all here to have fun :).

Today I've read:

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 220: Het reddende licht (254 pages)

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice Volume 2 (currently on page 97, about halfway, trying to get it finished before dinner)

Not as much as I was hoping for, but oh well. Maybe more in the weekend :).

Happy reading!

That's good @Athena! I hope you enjoyed them :) 

I'm having a very slow start to the read-a-thon. I was out for much longer than I expected today, partly because I got stuck in terrible traffic, then I couldn't decide what to read (I finished The Corset last night) so I spent a lot of time taking books off the shelf and then putting them back :blush:. I finally decided to go for a mix of The Penguin Book of English Short Stories and Blood Rites (one of the Dresden Files series). 

Thanks @Hayley :)! I did :).

Ah, that's why I try to think about it beforehand what I will read. I'm glad you settled on a choice for reading material :). Loved the first line of Blood Rites that you posted in that topic :)!

I managed to finish A Silent Voice Volume 2 yesterday (190 pages total). I had a bit more time so I read Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 1 (re-read) (206 pages). I then read 80 pages of Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 2 (re-read). I'm planning on finishing Volume 2 today and then hopefully read some other things too.

Yeah Blood Rites did have a great first line! :lol: Glad you've enjoyed your reads so far :) 

I'm half way through The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy in the Penguin short story collection (33 pages) and 61 pages into Blood Rites. 

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm half way through The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy in the Penguin short story collection (33 pages) and 61 pages into Blood Rites. 

That sounds nice :)! Are you enjoying both reads?

My progress for yesterday:

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 2 (re-read) (120 pages, finishing it off)

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 1 (re-read) (4 pages, it turns out I missed some extras at the end of the book, which I didn't notice until I saw them in book 2 and then figured book 1 might have them too)

Gigi D. G. - Cucumber Quest 2: The Ripple Kingdom (237 pages)

Aaron Reynolds and Phil McAndrew - Caveboy Dave 2: Not So Faboo (247 pages)

Marguerite Abouet and Clément Oubrerie - Aya (4-6): Aya: Love in Yop City (42 pages)

I hope to finish Aya: Love in Yop City today and hopefully read something else as well.

Happy reading :)!

@Athena that's exciting, finding some extras at the end of the book!

I am enjoying both! I just got to one of those shocking plot twist parts in Blood Rites though so I think I'll be focusing on that one today! :lol:

I'm now on page 56 of the penguin book and 212 of Blood Rites

Here's my Progress so for:

Friday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go'- Patrick Ness  97 pages

Saturday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go'- Patrick Ness 145 pages

Sunday: I've read the last 59 pages of 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' and I'm really sad, because I have to wait to get the other two books in the series, to find out what's going to happen :(

Now, I'm just about to start 'The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly' by Jean-Dominique Bauby. It's only 139 pages long, so I should get that finished by the end of the day.

22 hours ago, Hayley said:

@Athena that's exciting, finding some extras at the end of the book!

I am enjoying both! I just got to one of those shocking plot twist parts in Blood Rites though so I think I'll be focusing on that one today! :lol:

I'm now on page 56 of the penguin book and 212 of Blood Rites

I agree!

I'm glad you are enjoying both :)!

21 hours ago, karen.d said:

Here's my Progress so for:

Friday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go'- Patrick Ness  97 pages

Saturday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go'- Patrick Ness 145 pages

Sunday: I've read the last 59 pages of 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' and I'm really sad, because I have to wait to get the other two books in the series, to find out what's going to happen :(

Now, I'm just about to start 'The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly' by Jean-Dominique Bauby. It's only 139 pages long, so I should get that finished by the end of the day.

Awww, I hope you can buy and find the second and third book in the series some time soon :empathy:. Did it end on a cliffhanger?

My progress for Sunday:

Marguerite Abouet and Clément Oubrerie - Aya (4-6): Aya: Love in Yop City (309 pages)

Skottie Young - I Hate Fairyland 1: Madly Ever After (132 pages)

Chris Riddell - Hugs (113 pages)

I've decided to do another day of read-a-thon reads for myself today, since there are a few graphic works left that I really want to read. I'm currently reading Bloom by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau. It's really nice so far, I'm on page 120. Today it's Carnaval here in the south of the Netherlands, and most people have the day off. Schools are closed this week. During the weekend there was loud music and there were parades in the afternoons. This morning the streets are quiet, but there might be more loud music again later in the day. I guess some people might be having lay-ins / sleeping in, in the morning (some of them possibly having a hangover), to then go out in the afternoon and celebrate more carnaval. More parades are scheduled for today but it is a rainy and windy day. It's code yellow for the whole country because of the extreme windspeeds, so they were thinking of rescheduling some of the parades for another day this week I think.

47 minutes ago, Athena said:

I agree!

I'm glad you are enjoying both :)!

Awww, I hope you can buy and find the second and third book in the series some time soon :empathy:. Did it end on a cliffhanger?

My progress for Sunday:

Marguerite Abouet and Clément Oubrerie - Aya (4-6): Aya: Love in Yop City (309 pages)

Skottie Young - I Hate Fairyland 1: Madly Ever After (132 pages)

Chris Riddell - Hugs (113 pages)

I've decided to do another day of read-a-thon reads for myself today, since there are a few graphic works left that I really want to read. I'm currently reading Bloom by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau. It's really nice so far, I'm on page 120. Today it's Carnaval here in the south of the Netherlands, and most people have the day off. Schools are closed this week. During the weekend there was loud music and there were parades in the afternoons. This morning the streets are quiet, but there might be more loud music again later in the day. I guess some people might be having lay-ins / sleeping in, in the morning (some of them possibly having a hangover), to then go out in the afternoon and celebrate more carnaval. More parades are scheduled for today but it is a rainy and windy day. It's code yellow for the whole country because of the extreme windspeeds, so they were thinking of rescheduling some of the parades for another day this week I think.

We had carnival this weekend too. I didn't join in, because it was too noisy and crowded!

'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness  had a very intriguing ending.I want to know what will happen!

Here's my final count for the read-a.-thon:

Friday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' -Patrick Ness 87 Pages

Saturday:'The Knife of Never Letting Go'- Patrick Ness 145 Pages

Sunday: 'The Knife of Never Letting Go'-Patrick Ness 58 Pages (Finished)

'The Diving-Bell and The Butterfly'- Jean-Dominique Bauby 139 pages (Finished)

'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' Gail Honeyman 37 Pages (DNF)

'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'- J.K Rowling (11 pages)

Total Pages read: 477 pages

I enjoyed all of my reads this weekend, apart from 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine'. I stopped reading after 37 pages, because I didn't like the tone of the book.

Looking forward to the next read-a-tjhon already!

I think Carnaval is too noisy and too crowded too.

You've read a lot :D!

I'm sorry about Eleanor Oliphant :(. Well done on you for DNFing it at least.

Is Harry Potter a re-read or a new read?

Me too! The April one will be 5-6-7 April.

It's my grandfather's birthday on the 7th, but I don't know what the plans are yet. If there are too many visitors coming, then I'll try to go another time, as I don't do too well with too many people / too much noise. It's going to depend on what my grandparents have planned. Either way, I look forward to doing some reading that weekend :)!

EDIT: Oh, my total for Fri-Sat-Sun was 1934 pages (graphic works).

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I think Carnaval is too noisy and too crowded too.

You've read a lot :D!

I'm sorry about Eleanor Oliphant :(. Well done on you for DNFing it at least.

Is Harry Potter a re-read or a new read?

Me too! The April one will be 5-6-7 April.

It's my grandfather's birthday on the 7th, but I don't know what the plans are yet. If there are too many visitors coming, then I'll try to go another time, as I don't do too well with too many people / too much noise. It's going to depend on what my grandparents have planned. Either way, I look forward to doing some reading that weekend :)!

EDIT: Oh, my total for Fri-Sat-Sun was 1934 pages (graphic works).

Wow! That's a lot! No, I've read the 'Harry Potter' series quite a few times now.

I finished Blood Rites last night, which makes one book and two short stories for the read-a-thon, a total of 507 pages :) 

I'm glad you both enjoyed your books this weekend (I might add The Knife of Never Letting Go to my to-read list actually, since you liked it so much @karen.d!). 

1934 is a LOT of pages @Athena, I thought I read the number wrong at first! :lol:

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I'm glad you both enjoyed your books this weekend (I might add The Knife of Never Letting Go to my to-read list actually, since you liked it so much @karen.d!). 

1934 is a LOT of pages @Athena

There were a couple of things that let the book down, but I'm being picky, because the book was very good. I look forward to hearing what you think of it, once you have read it.

4 hours ago, karen.d said:

Wow! That's a lot! No, I've read the 'Harry Potter' series quite a few times now.

Thanks :)! It helps that they are all graphic novels or manga or comics, so it doesn't take me as long to read those, as a book with just text.

I hope you enjoy your re-read of the Harry Potter series :). I've read the first book I think.. 5 or 6 times, and I've read the last book only twice.

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I finished Blood Rites last night, which makes one book and two short stories for the read-a-thon, a total of 507 pages :) 

1934 is a LOT of pages @Athena, I thought I read the number wrong at first! :lol:

507 pages of textbooks is quite impressive! I'm glad you liked Blood Rites :).

Thanks Hayley :)! It's true it's a lot, but they were all graphic works, no way would I be able to read 1934 pages of just text in 3 days. I like to read graphic works for the read-a-thon, and then the rest of the month read more 'text'books.

• 2 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is scheduled to be on the 5th, 6th and 7th of April. It's not ideal planning for me as I have several appointments that week and my grandfather will have his birthday that weekend and I plan to attend. I don't know how anyone would feel about moving it to another weekend? For example to have the April read-a-thon on the 12th, 13th and 14th of April. Would that work for anyone?

2 hours ago, Athena said:

The next read-a-thon is scheduled to be on the 5th, 6th and 7th of April. It's not ideal planning for me as I have several appointments that week and my grandfather will have his birthday that weekend and I plan to attend. I don't know how anyone would feel about moving it to another weekend? For example to have the April read-a-thon on the 12th, 13th and 14th of April. Would that work for anyone?

Moving the read-athon to April 12th is fine with me!