Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

Hi everyone, it's 2019 now, so I thought I'd post the schedule for the monthly BCF read-a-thons in 2019 :).

The aim is to read ((a) book(s)) during these days. You can read whichever book(s) you like.

General rule: The read-a-thons take place on the first time that a consecutive Friday, Saturday and Sunday all fall in the same month (exceptions may be made).

The dates for 2019 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 11th, 12th, 13th (exception)

February: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* not so handy for those who want to start on Thursday, bit close to January's dates)

March: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* again early in the month)

April: 5th, 6th, 7th

May: 3rd, 4th, 5th

June: 7th, 8th, 9th

July: 5th, 6th, 7th

August: 2rd, 3th, 4th

September: 6th, 7th, 8th

October: 4th, 5th, 6th

November: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* early in the month, I might be unavailable for this one myself)

December: 6th, 7th, 8th

I hope some of you will join me again in 2019 for our monthly read-a-thons :):readingtwo:!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The January read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend. I thought I'd post a friendly reminder :). I'm planning on reading some children's books and some graphic novels, a manga, a Donald Duck pocket etc. I'm excited! I finished off the book I was reading yesterday (Autism in Heels by Jennifer Cook O'Toole). I'm planning to read a magazine for the next couple of days, and then the read-a-thon starts!

I can't believe it's nearly the read-a-thon, last week went really fast!

I think I'm probably going to have finished 'Lies Sleeping' by Friday, so during the read-a-thon I want to finish reading 'Heroes of Welsh History' (started last month, with about half the book left to read) and then I think either 'The Wind in the Willows' (which has been on my TBR for an embarrassingly long time) or Jack Vance's 'Showboat World.' All three would be nice but I think that might be a bit ambitious :lol:

ooh the first read-a-thon of the year! I will be finished with 'Master and Commander' by the end of the week, so I'm hoping to start reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin during the read-a-thon.:readingtwo:

Edited by karen.d

Reading so far:

Thursday:

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice 1: Volume 1 (YA manga)

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 217: Terug in de tijd (comics for children)

Gigi D.G. - Cucumber Quest 1: The Doughnut Kingdom (graphic novel for children)

Paul van Loon - Pak me dan! (book for young children)

Paul van Loon - Foeksia: Avonturen in het Heksenbos (part re-read) (book for children)

Max Velthuijs - Dierenfabels (picture book)

Started Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir for adults)

Friday:

Finished Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir for adults)

Aaron Reynolds and Phil McAndrew - Caveboy Dave 1: More Scrawny Than Brawnie (re-read) (graphic novel for children)

Saturday

Started Bryan Lee O'Malley - Seconds (YA graphic novel)

I hope to finish Seconds today. It's getting pretty late, but I should be able to finish the book today.

@karen.d How is your progress?

Edited by Athena

16 hours ago, karen.d said:

Yesterday I read 74 pages of 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and so far today, I've read another 77 pages pages of this book. I'm really enjoying it so far!

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)!!

Yesterday I finished Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley, then I read 4 Ben Hatke books:

Mighty Jack 1: Mighty Jack (col. by Alex Cambell and Hilary Sycamore),

Mighty Jack 2: Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (col. by Alex Cambell and Hilary Sycamore),

Nobody Likes a Goblin,

and Little Robot.

I was planning to just read Mighty Jack and leave the other 3 books for February, March and April's read-a-thons, but Mighty Jack (1) ended on a cliffhanger so I had to read book 2 straight away :P.

I've got some things to do today so I'm not sure how much time and energy I'll have for reading, but we'll see.

I wish you happy reading today, @karen.d!

Karen, I hope you're enjoying The Passage :). Thanks for read-a-thon-ing :):readingtwo:!

Yesterday I read Bake Sale by Sara Varon, Mr Wolf's Class (1) by Aron Nels Steinke and Making Friends by Kristin Gudsnuk.

The next read-a-thon will take place on February 1rst, 2nd and 3rd (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Karen, I hope you're enjoying The Passage :). Thanks for read-a-thon-ing :):readingtwo:!

Yesterday I read Bake Sale by Sara Varon, Mr Wolf's Class (1) by Aron Nels Steinke and Making Friends by Kristin Gudsnuk.

The next read-a-thon will take place on February 1rst, 2nd and 3rd (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Yes, I'm really enjoying this book!

This weekend I read:

Friday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 75 pages

Saturday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 125 Pages

Sunday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 128 pages

Total pages read: 328 pages

I still have a fair bit of this book to read, but I managed to read a good chunk of it, during the read-a-thon. Looking forward to the next one!

Edited by karen.d

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Athena said:

The BCF February read-a-thon starts tomorrow, Friday 1 February. I'm looking forward to it :). @karen.d @Hayley will you be joining me? Anyone else?

Yes definitely! I don't know how much I will be able to read tomorrow, but I will definitely try and finish 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin during the read-a-thon.

I will be but I’ll be off to a slow start, I’m not at my own house at the moment (dog sitting) and I forgot to bring a book! I’ll be going past my house tomorrow morning though so I think I’m going to grab Jasper Fforde’s ‘Early Riser’ and maybe ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.’ Do you have books planned @Athena?

Unfortunately I'm working this weekend otherwise I'd love to join.

I haven't taken part in a read-a-thon yet but really want to start. I'll be following this thread closely to hear what you all get up to this weekend!

19 hours ago, karen.d said:

Yes definitely! I don't know how much I will be able to read tomorrow, but I will definitely try and finish 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin during the read-a-thon.

Good luck, I hope you can finish The Passage and that you enjoy your re-read of it :)!

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I will be but I’ll be off to a slow start, I’m not at my own house at the moment (dog sitting) and I forgot to bring a book! I’ll be going past my house tomorrow morning though so I think I’m going to grab Jasper Fforde’s ‘Early Riser’ and maybe ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.’ Do you have books planned @Athena?

I hope you enjoy those :)!

I am planning to read some library loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Gele Reeks: Vleermuisgespuis (Nel Labirinto di Grottacupa)
Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Wonderrijk 1 : Het Boek der Raadselen (Il Segreto delle Principesse)
Geronimo Stilton - Noormuizen 2: Zeesnorren & Monsterdraken! (Nella Terra Deglu Uffa Uffa; Scattare, Scattareee... Geronimord!)
Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 75 & Noormuizen 3: Expeditie Zonnesteek (Topinghi: Il Mistero Dell'Isola Verde)
Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 9: Naar de Haaien! (Viaggo Nel Tempo 9)
Sabine Zett - Collins Geheime Channel 1: Van Underdog tot YouTube-ster (Collins Geheimer Channel 1: Wie Ich Endlich Cool Wurde)
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 18: GriezelWielen
Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 3: Boerderij Op Stelten (Mein Lotta-Leben 3: Hier Steckt Der Wurm Drin!)
Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 4: Chaos Op De Filmset! (Mein Lotta-Leben 4: Daher Weht Der Hase!)
Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 7: Weg Met Die Vieze Stinkkaas! (Mein Lotta-Leben 7: Und Täglich Grüßt der Camembär)
Nanda Roep (ill. Silvester Zwaneveld) - Plaza Patatta 11: Luna's Flopfeest
Nanda Roep (ill. Silvester Zwaneveld) - Plaza Patatta 12: Luna's Schoolramp
Timo Parvela, Bjorn Sortland and Pasi Pitkänen - Kepler62 1: De Uitnodiging (Kepler62 - Kirja 1: Kutsu)
Timo Parvela, Bjorn Sortland and Pasi Pitkänen - Kepler62 2: De Lancering (Kepler62 - Bok 2: Nedtelling)

I might not get around to all or I might not like them all but we will see :).

10 hours ago, Angury said:

Unfortunately I'm working this weekend otherwise I'd love to join.

I haven't taken part in a read-a-thon yet but really want to start. I'll be following this thread closely to hear what you all get up to this weekend!

Good luck with your work! I hope you can join another time :). The read-a-thon dates for this year are in the first post of this thread. As a general rule, it usually starts on the first Friday of the month and is on Fri-Sat-Sun.

Here's my total for this month's read-a-thon:

Friday: 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin:37 pages

Saturday: 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin: 149 Pages

Sunday:'The Passage' by Justin Cronin: 80 pages (Finish)

'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith 80 pages

Total Pages Read: 346 pages

I think this is the most amount of pages I've managed to read during a read-a-thon! I'm actually quite sad that I've finished 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin, as it was such a good book. I'm now trying to get hold of the second book in the series.

Edited by karen.d

52 minutes ago, karen.d said:

Here's my total for this month's read-a-thon:

Friday: 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin:37 pages

Saturday: 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin: 149 Pages

Sunday:'The Passage' by Justin Cronin: 80 pages (Finish)

'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith 80 pages

Total Pages Read: 346 pages

I think this is the most amount of pages I've managed to read during a read-a-thon! I'm actually quite sad that I've finished 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin, as it was such a good book. I'm now trying to get hold of the second book in the series.

Wow Karen, that is awesome progress :D!! I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading the Passage. I may have to put it on my wishlist :P. I hope you can get a hold of the second book in the series soon so you can continue reading it :). I hope you enjoy White Teeth, I've heard mixed things about the author's works. I hope you fall on the positive side :).

Here is my progress:

Friday:

Geronimo Stilton - Gele Reeks 1: Vleermuisgespuis (Nel Labirinto di Grottacupa) (128 pages)
Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Wonderrijk 1 : Het Boek der Raadselen (Il Segreto delle Principesse)(128 pages)
Geronimo Stilton - Noormuizen 2: Zeesnorren & Monsterdraken! (Nella Terra Deglu Uffa Uffa; Scattare, Scattareee... Geronimord!) (255 pages)
Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 75 & Noormuizen 3: Expeditie Zonnesteek (Topinghi: Il Mistero Dell'Isola Verde) (288 pages)

Saturday:

Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 9: Naar de Haaien! (Viaggo Nel Tempo 9) (~100 pages)

Sunday:

Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 9: Naar de Haaien! (Viaggo Nel Tempo 9) (~284 pages)  
Sabine Zett - Collins Geheime Channel 1: Van Underdog tot YouTube-ster (Collins Geheimer Channel 1: Wie Ich Endlich Cool Wurde) (189 pages)
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 18: GriezelWielen (167 pages)
Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 3: Boerderij Op Stelten (Mein Lotta-Leben 3: Hier Steckt Der Wurm Drin!) (160 pages)

I went out Saturday morning for our weekly shopping, in the afternoon I started to feel unwell. I had a bad headache, so I rested. I didn't read a lot. I didn't even write down the pages I read of Reis door de Tijd 9, so my ~ pages is an estimate. From the night of Saturday to Sunday I woke up at 2:00 in the morning and I had a really bad headache and I was feeling nauseated. I didn't get any more sleep unfortunately and had only slept 4 hours. I was able to do a bit of reading, but only because they were children's books by familiar authors. I wouldn't have been able to follow anything complicated and my brain stayed slow for the whole day. I stayed off the computer and my phone for the most part and I watched a bit of a children's cartoon.

All in all not as successful a read-a-thon as I was hoping for (I still have some library loans left to read), but, I'm very glad I got a nice night's sleep last night. My head still hurts somewhat. I'm not sure if I'm ill or whether it's a migraine, or what it is or what caused it.

I'm glad you had a good time during the read-a-thon, Karen :). I enjoyed the books I read, and they were a nice distraction from feeling crappy on Sunday.

Thanks for joining me :friends3:.

The next read-a-thon will take place on March 1rst, 2nd and 3rd (Fri-Sat-Sun). I'm planning to return to my own books then, and read the ones I had wanted to read this month (ie. continuing some series of books I read in January for the read-a-thon then), but then I borrowed lots of library loans so I had to read those first. 

Wow, you both did really well! Especially considering you weren't feeling well @Athena

I'm glad you enjoyed The Passage @karen.d, it's a bitter sweet feeling when you finish a really great book isn't it? At least it's a series though!

I had a lot of distractions over the weekend, so I didn't get anywhere near as much reading done as I hoped, just 69 pages of Early Riser. On the positive side though it is a really good book so far! I'm looking forward to the March read-a-thon :)

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

Wow, you both did really well! Especially considering you weren't feeling well @Athena

I'm glad you enjoyed The Passage @karen.d, it's a bitter sweet feeling when you finish a really great book isn't it? At least it's a series though!

I had a lot of distractions over the weekend, so I didn't get anywhere near as much reading done as I hoped, just 69 pages of Early Riser. On the positive side though it is a really good book so far! I'm looking forward to the March read-a-thon :)

It doesn't matter how much you read, just as long as you enjoyed what you read!