• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

January Supporter Giveaway   01/16/2019

I'm thrilled to (finally, sorry for the delay!) announce the January giveaway, with a Sherlock Holmes theme! Supporters can win a beautiful little hardback edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well as a stylish a5 print by www.thestorygift.co.uk/, featuring some witty advice from the great detective.     As always, if you support on patreon or if you supported before patreon (and did so less than twelve months ago), you'll be entered into the giveaway automatically. If you're not a supporter but want to take part, you can support for this month here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   The winner will be selected at random on January 31st. Good luck!  
Athena

Read-a-thon 2019

Hi everyone, it's 2019 now, so I thought I'd post the schedule for the monthly BCF read-a-thons in 2019 :).

The aim is to read ((a) book(s)) during these days. You can read whichever book(s) you like.

General rule: The read-a-thons take place on the first time that a consecutive Friday, Saturday and Sunday all fall in the same month (exceptions may be made).

The dates for 2019 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 11th, 12th, 13th (exception)

February: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* not so handy for those who want to start on Thursday, bit close to January's dates)

March: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* again early in the month)

April: 5th, 6th, 7th

May: 3rd, 4th, 5th

June: 7th, 8th, 9th

July: 5th, 6th, 7th

August: 2rd, 3th, 4th

September: 6th, 7th, 8th

October: 4th, 5th, 6th

November: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd (* early in the month, I might be unavailable for this one myself)

December: 6th, 7th, 8th

I hope some of you will join me again in 2019 for our monthly read-a-thons :):readingtwo:!

Thanks for posting this!

I'm looking forward to taking part in this year's read-a-thons.

The January read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend. I thought I'd post a friendly reminder :). I'm planning on reading some children's books and some graphic novels, a manga, a Donald Duck pocket etc. I'm excited! I finished off the book I was reading yesterday (Autism in Heels by Jennifer Cook O'Toole). I'm planning to read a magazine for the next couple of days, and then the read-a-thon starts!

I can't believe it's nearly the read-a-thon, last week went really fast!

I think I'm probably going to have finished 'Lies Sleeping' by Friday, so during the read-a-thon I want to finish reading 'Heroes of Welsh History' (started last month, with about half the book left to read) and then I think either 'The Wind in the Willows' (which has been on my TBR for an embarrassingly long time) or Jack Vance's 'Showboat World.' All three would be nice but I think that might be a bit ambitious :lol:

I hope you enjoy Heroes of Welsh History and whichever one of the other two you decide to read :):readingtwo:!

ooh the first read-a-thon of the year! I will be finished with 'Master and Commander' by the end of the week, so I'm hoping to start reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin during the read-a-thon.:readingtwo:

Edited by karen.d

Reading so far:

Thursday:

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice 1: Volume 1 (YA manga)

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 217: Terug in de tijd (comics for children)

Gigi D.G. - Cucumber Quest 1: The Doughnut Kingdom (graphic novel for children)

Paul van Loon - Pak me dan! (book for young children)

Paul van Loon - Foeksia: Avonturen in het Heksenbos (part re-read) (book for children)

Max Velthuijs - Dierenfabels (picture book)

Started Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir for adults)

Friday:

Finished Ellen Forney - Marbles (graphic memoir for adults)

Aaron Reynolds and Phil McAndrew - Caveboy Dave 1: More Scrawny Than Brawnie (re-read) (graphic novel for children)

Saturday

Started Bryan Lee O'Malley - Seconds (YA graphic novel)

I hope to finish Seconds today. It's getting pretty late, but I should be able to finish the book today.

@karen.d How is your progress?

Edited by Athena

15 minutes ago, Athena said:

@karen.d How is your progress?

Yesterday I read 74 pages of 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and so far today, I've read another 77 pages pages of this book. I'm really enjoying it so far!

16 hours ago, karen.d said:

Yesterday I read 74 pages of 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and so far today, I've read another 77 pages pages of this book. I'm really enjoying it so far!

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)!!

Yesterday I finished Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley, then I read 4 Ben Hatke books:

Mighty Jack 1: Mighty Jack (col. by Alex Cambell and Hilary Sycamore),

Mighty Jack 2: Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (col. by Alex Cambell and Hilary Sycamore),

Nobody Likes a Goblin,

and Little Robot.

I was planning to just read Mighty Jack and leave the other 3 books for February, March and April's read-a-thons, but Mighty Jack (1) ended on a cliffhanger so I had to read book 2 straight away :P.

I've got some things to do today so I'm not sure how much time and energy I'll have for reading, but we'll see.

I wish you happy reading today, @karen.d!

Karen, I hope you're enjoying The Passage :). Thanks for read-a-thon-ing :):readingtwo:!

Yesterday I read Bake Sale by Sara Varon, Mr Wolf's Class (1) by Aron Nels Steinke and Making Friends by Kristin Gudsnuk.

The next read-a-thon will take place on February 1rst, 2nd and 3rd (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Karen, I hope you're enjoying The Passage :). Thanks for read-a-thon-ing :):readingtwo:!

Yesterday I read Bake Sale by Sara Varon, Mr Wolf's Class (1) by Aron Nels Steinke and Making Friends by Kristin Gudsnuk.

The next read-a-thon will take place on February 1rst, 2nd and 3rd (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Yes, I'm really enjoying this book!

This weekend I read:

Friday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 75 pages

Saturday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 125 Pages

Sunday: 'The Passage'- Justin Cronin- 128 pages

Total pages read: 328 pages

I still have a fair bit of this book to read, but I managed to read a good chunk of it, during the read-a-thon. Looking forward to the next one!

Edited by karen.d

You read quite a bit in such a big book! I'm glad you are enjoying it :).

@Athena, @karen.d, you both read loads! I managed to finish 'Heroes of Welsh History' and read 'Showboat World.' On the down side, I'm now 3 books behind with my reviews! :giggle2:

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

@Athena, @karen.d, you both read loads! I managed to finish 'Heroes of Welsh History' and read 'Showboat World.' On the down side, I'm now 3 books behind with my reviews! :giggle2:

Wow! That's a lot too!