• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

January Supporter Giveaway   01/16/2019

I'm thrilled to (finally, sorry for the delay!) announce the January giveaway, with a Sherlock Holmes theme! Supporters can win a beautiful little hardback edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well as a stylish a5 print by www.thestorygift.co.uk/, featuring some witty advice from the great detective.     As always, if you support on patreon or if you supported before patreon (and did so less than twelve months ago), you'll be entered into the giveaway automatically. If you're not a supporter but want to take part, you can support for this month here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   The winner will be selected at random on January 31st. Good luck!  
Sign in to follow this  
Angury

Angury's Reading & Writing Log 2019

Angury's Reading & Writing Log 2019

Hola everyone. Welcome to my Reading & Writing Log for this year.

As a reader I enjoy a variety of genres but you’ll find that my to-read list falls into three broad categories: Fiction, Medicine/Anthropology and Philosophy.
My to-read list isn’t a list of every single book I want to read (which is several pages long) but just a list of books that are on my radar for the upcoming months. I also aim to post a review for every book I read this year. I invite you to offer your own thoughts on these novels or even suggest something new - my aim is to enter into stimulating discussions  and look at the novels I read in a whole different light - your ideas are very much welcomed!

I am also in the process of writing two 'novels,' more as a hobby than anything else. The Writing Log is an attempt to make me accountable and hopefully enjoy the process as well.

Currently reading: 

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Collection of Poems by Sylvia Plath

Books Read in 2019

January

• Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (5/5)
  • Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine by Arthur Kleinman (4/5)
  • The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (4/5)

Edited by Angury

To-Read

Fiction
• Abe, Kobo - The Woman in the Dunes
• Bukowski, Charles - Tales of Ordinary Madness
• Bulgakov, Mikhail - The Master and Margarita
• Byatt, A.S. - Possession

• Calvino, Italo - If One Winter's Night a Traveller

• Camus, Albert - The Plague
• Catton, Eleanor - The Luminaries
• Christensen, Kate - The Epicure's Lament

Eliot, George - Daniel Deronda
• Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - Demons

• Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - The Gambler and A Nasty Business
• Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - The Idiot
• Faulkner, William - As I Lay Dying

• Gide, Andre - The Immoralist
• Hall, Sarah - Daughters of the North
• Hall, Sarah - Haweswater

• Hardy, Thomas - The Return of the Native
• Hesse, Herman - Journey to the East
• Hesse, Herman - Narcissus and Goldmund
• Hesse, Herman - The Glass Bead Game

• Jelinek, Elfriede - Greed

• Johnson, Denis - Train Dreams
• Kavenna, Joanna - Come to the Edge
• Lish, Atticus - Life is with People
 Morrison, Toni - The Bluest Eye
• Nabokov, Vladimir - Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle
• Nabokov, Vladimir - Pale Fire

• Nutting, Alissa - Tampa

• Quincey, Thomas de - Confessions of an English Opium-Eater

• Remarque, Erich Maria - All Quiet on the Western Front
• Sartre, Jean-Paul - The Age of Reason
• Singh, Khushwant - Train to Pakistan
• Thackeray, William Makepeace - Vanity Fair
• Thomas, Michael Ford - Suicide Notes
• Zweig, Stefan - The Royal Game

Medicine, Psychology & Anthropology
• Bateson, Gregory - Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution and Epistemology
• Brewer, John D. - The Public Value of the Social Sciences: An Interpretive Essay
• Cantacuzino, Marnia - The Forgiveness Project
• Carel, Havi - Health, Illness and Disease: Philosophical Essays
• Cooper, Rachel - Psychiatry and Philosophy of Science
• Diamond, John - C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too
• Gifford, Fred - Philosophy of Medicine
• Kahneman, Daniel - Thinking, Fast and Slow

• Kleinman, Arthur - The Illness Narratives: suffering, healing and the human condition
• Kleinman, Arthur - Rethinking Psychiatry: from cultural category to personal experience
• Laing, Ronald D. - Wisdom, Madness and Folly: The Making of a Psychiatrist 1927-57
• Levi-Strauss, Claude - Myth and Meaning: Cracking the Code of Culture
• Mishler, Elliot G. - The Discourse of Medicine: Dialectics of Medical Interviews
• Ofri, Danielle - What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine
• Osler, William - A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20, 1913
• Perry, Sarah - Every Cradle is a Grave: Rethinking the Ethics of Birth and Suicide
• Phillips, Adam - On Kindness
• Reynolds, Richard - On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays
• Selzer, Richard - Letters to a Young Doctor
• Sigerist, Henry E. - Medicine and Human Welfare (Terry Lectures)

• Skultans, Vieda and Cox, John - Anthropological Approaches to Psychological Medicine 
• Sontag, Susan - Illness as Metaphor
• Storr, Anthony - The Integrity of the Personality
• Svenaeus, Fredrik - The Hermeneutics of Medicine and the Phenomenology of Health: Steps Towards a Philosophy of Medical Practice
• Tallis, Raymond - The Black Mirror: Looking at Life through Death
• Woolf, Virginia - On Being Ill

Philosophy
• Alain de Botton - Status Anxiety

• Aristotle - The Art of Rhetoric
• Aurelius, Marcus - Meditations
• Burton, Neel - Plato: Letters to my Son
• Dewey, John - How We Think
• Jaspers, Karl - Philosophy of Existence

• Kierkegaard, Soren - The Concept of Anxiety
• Merton, Thomas - Thoughts in Solitude

• Radhakrishnan, Sarvepalli - Indian Philosophy Volume II
• Russell, Bertrand - The Analysis of Mind
• Tallis, Raymond - In Defence of Wonder and Other Philosophical Reflections
• Wittgenstein, Ludwig - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

Literature & Writing
• Prose, Francine - Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them
• Eagleton, Terry - How to Read Literature
• Eagleton, Terry - Literary Theory: An Introduction
• Huxley, Aldous - Literature and Science
• Midgley, Mary - Science and Poetry
• Thomas, Francis-Noel - Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose

Other
• Atkinson, Charles Francis - Art and Artist: Creative Urge and Personality Development

• Bevan, Aneurin - In Place of Fear
• Debord, Guy - The Society of the Spectacle
• Orwell, George - Down and Out in Paris and London
• Rosseau, Jean-Jacques - Confessions
• Tolstoy, Leo - What is Art?

Edited by Angury

Best Books of 2019

..once I've done some reading!

Best Authors of 2019

..and some more reading

Previous Reading Logs

Edited by Angury

Writing Log

Current Projects

• 1st Novel (Chapter 7)
  • 2nd 'Draft' Novel (Chapter 2)

Goals

• Re-read Chapters 1-5
  • Finish Chapter 6 of 1st Novel
  • Finish Chapter 7 of 1st Novel 
  • Finish Chapter 8 of 1st Novel

Progress

• January
    - Chapter 6 completed
    - 3 Poems written
    - Chapter 7 completed
Edited by Angury

Thought I'd prepare early for the new year.

I can't believe it's the end of the year. It's refreshing looking back at my old logs and reading through my previous reviews. I notice I didn't write as many reviews during my 2018 log, so that's something I'm going to aim for in the new year.

I'm currently reading Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures. Every time I feel I'm getting into a reading slog I turn to Pratchett and find my love of novels returning. 

I wish everyone a very happy 2019 filled with joyous books! :) 

I hope 2019 will be a great reading and writing year for you :)!

I liked Moving Pictures, I hope you like it too :).

Happy reading and writing in 2019 Angury! (Do you know I've always read your name as Augury and only just now realized it's Angury!!)

I did that too (read your name wrong!):rolleyes:

No worries, quite a lot of people read Augury instead - mainly because of Runescape.

I've only read three books so far but it has been a great start to the year. Each one was different yet made me want to read more.

1. Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

I love, love, love Terry Pratchett - he is by far one of my favourite authors. His wit and intellect make his writing so easy to read that you forget just how much talent this man must have had to keep the Discworld series going for so long and at such a high level.

Moving Pictures is definitely one of the top books of the series for me. I've been trying to follow the Chronology found here:

image.thumb.png.f5dd374ec7671276c4014f1f3109bf8e.png

Moving Pictures is start of a new series and imo on par with the Death novels. Great characterisation, cliches that don't come across as cliches (no idea how Pratchett does it) and a plot which holds your attention. Definitely planning on returning to the series again - my next Discworld book will be Feet of Clay (I'm currently on The Watch novels at the moment but was distracted by Moving Pictures instead).

2. Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine by Arthur Kleinman

Arthur Kleinman is an American Psychiatrist and Medical Anthropologist. He is famous for being part of a group of people who introduced the concept of narratives and culture to medicine i.e. the idea that medicine is made up of more than diagnoses and treatment, and that people present with symptoms and perceive their illnesses based on their culture and societal beliefs. 

Kleinman has a unique way of writing; he is able to combine the clarity of academic style with the creative flow of narrative writing to tell a story. This book is a collection of his essays that he published throughout his career; what makes it particularly interesting is that he is able to reflect back on these essays in the context of new critiques and a changing world. Yet no matter how long ago these essays were written, I find them to be highly relevant to healthcare today.

I am a big admirer of Kleinman and his work, and if I'm ever struggling in my job, I turn to his narratives and remind myself of why I do what I do.

3. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

This is apparently a very popular book that I only found out about recently. I came across this novel while looking for South Asian writers and novels set in India. I noticed that a lot of my reading is very 'Western' and based in Europe. 

I have now found myself a new author to place on my 'Top Authors' list (it is growing far too long now..). Roy's writing is detailed and cinematic; she describes the world of India in an elaborate style while acknowledging the poverty and lifestyles that many people there still lead. 

The novel is focused on the caste system told through the eyes of a pair of young twins. You are already told the end of the story at the very beginning, and spend the rest of the book following the twins as they grow up and begin to realise the reality of the community of which they live in. Roy is a very good story writer; she offers you one piece of the puzzle in every chapter, encouraging you to fill in the gaps but still wanting more. 

For those of you who haven't heard of her, I would highly recommend this novel. And for those of you interested in such things (which I am!), this novel also won the 1997 Man Booker Prize.

It feels rather cathartic having written those three reviews - I feel like I've properly digested those books now and am ready to move on. :P Funny how books can do that to you.

At the moment I am currently making my way through Sylvia Plath's Collection of Poems in chronological order (despite her stereotypical image I enjoy her poetry and her way of writing in general - it's very inspirational) and am about to start reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. I also have Anna Burns' Milkman on my to-read list and plan to buy Normal People by Sally Rooney once it comes out in paperback. It's refreshing to see Northern Irish writers entering the literary world (not that they weren't there before.. *cough* Seamus Heaney).

I am also getting on well with my writing; I am just about to start Chapter 7 of my novel just as it starts to get interesting, and have surprisingly started writing some poetry. This was by no means planned. I basically had some pretty tiring days at work (emotionally) and let them all out on the page. It's amazing how well the words just flow out and tie together when you're not really thinking. 

Anyway, would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the books I've just reviewed.. or the books I'm about to read.. or on life in general! ;)