• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

May Supporter Giveaway   05/03/2019

It's May! The height of spring and a truly beautiful time of year so, when I saw this beautiful book cover, I knew we had to have it for the giveaway! May's winner will also receive the very first, completely unique, BCF bookmark!     As always, supporters will be entered into the giveaway automatically and a winner will be chosen at random at the end of the month. If you want to enter the giveaway but aren't currently a supporter, you can become one at https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.
Sign in to follow this  
Angury

Angury's Reading & Writing Log 2019

I have Flowers for Algernon on my ‘to-read’ list too and had heard that it’s very sad. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

I’m glad your writing is going so well too, that’s great! I have no doubt that you’ll have work published soon :) 

A bit late but happy reading for this year Angury and I am very interested to know that you are writing not one but two novels! You seem to be pushing steadily ahead, good for you!

Thanks vodkafan!

I have just finished reading 'A History of Capitalism according to the Jubillee Line' by John O'Farrell. It's a short fiction novel that uses a story of being trapped in the london underground to explain the idea of capitalism. It's brilliantly written and hilarious. You can easily read it in a day and I would highly recommend it to anyone who just needs a bit of a laugh (and to learn a bit about capitalism as well).

I've got my eyes on 'How we Think' by John Dewey which I might read next. I've got a few novels on my TBR which I've been wanting to read for a while so it's a  bit of a balancing act deciding what to read next.

On the other hand my writing is coming along nicely. I have just had another article accepted for publication in a journal which was a nice confidence-boost and am just finishing an article for a magazine which has an upcoming themed issue entitled 'What is the purpose of having children?' which made for some fun writing!

A History of Capitalism According to the Jubillee Line sounds like an interesting read :).

Congratulations on the article acceptance!

O'Farell's book does sound interesting, it's always good to have a bit of a laugh too!

Congratulations on the article publication! I'm interested to know what you wrote about the purpose of having children now!

Well my argument was mainly against having children so may be a bit unpopular. :P 

I just finished reading Becoming by Michelle Obama. I'm not one for autobiographies and even less enthusiastic about celebrities but I came across an interview with Michelle and became drawn in to what she was saying about life as a woman/ethnic minority/from a poor background and the constant question through life of "am I good enough?" 

This is exactly what her autobiography covers. It's not an advertisement of her glamorous life in the White House or her celeb friends - it's a very touching and personal book about what it means to grow up being loved and fighting the stereotypes from others and ourselves. I think a lot of us can empathise with her.

My next to-read is Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. I actually have no idea what it's about - it just came up on my Instagram feed and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive so I thought I'd see what all the hassle was about. :P 

On 19/05/2019 at 10:31 AM, Angury said:

Well my argument was mainly against having children so may be a bit unpopular. :P

Intrigued. If we don't have children, what happens to the species? (Which admittedly might be a good thing from the planet's point of view!).

There have been a few times lately I have wondered why I had children!

If they could just go from 12 straight to 20 and miss out the teenage part.....:unsure:

Edited by vodkafan