Athena's Reading List 2019

Athena

I have to say, I think it's really impressive that you manage to keep up with recording and editing video reviews of all your books, especially when you read so much!

I particularly like the cover of The Poet X. I've never read an entire novel in verse before, did you still feel like you got to know the characters properly?

Glad you've generally enjoyed all of your recent books anyway, you've had lots of various read-a-thons to do! 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Hayley said:

I have to say, I think it's really impressive that you manage to keep up with recording and editing video reviews of all your books, especially when you read so much!

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me :).

I particularly like the cover of The Poet X. I've never read an entire novel in verse before, did you still feel like you got to know the characters properly?

Yes, I do feel you got to know the characters, especially the main few characters. Maybe not quite as much as if it had been a long textbook novel but I found it sufficient :).

Glad you've generally enjoyed all of your recent books anyway, you've had lots of various read-a-thons to do!

Thank you! I did enjoy most of the books I read :).

I've decided most read-a-thons make me feel too stressed though and I'm too much of a mood reader for them, so going forward I plan to mostly just do the BCF read-a-thon :). But read-a-thons are such a thing on BookTube, that I'm also worried about offending anyone if I make a video about it. Most people on BookTube (as far as I know) do read-a-thons and love them, and most read-a-thons have challenges limiting you to specific books. But I'm such a mood reader, it doesn't work like that for me. I can do the graphic novels & manga, because it doesn't take me that long to read them, and I read them from a variety of genres so it works okay with my mood.

I posted about not doing read-a-thons on Twitter a while ago but no one from BookTube responded or liked the Tweet so.. I'm not sure if I want to make a separate video explaining or whether I'll just let my behaviour going forward, show how I feel (if that makes sense).

There is an Actually Autistic read-a-thon in the beginning of April, and some time ago I said I'd partcipate (I thought it'd be in the second half of April), but it takes place at the same time as the BCF read-a-thon and I can't do both at the same time (because none of the graphic novels and manga I want to read for our read-a-thon, are written by actually autistic authors). On top of that, during that week I'm pretty busy with a couple of appointments and one day going to my granddad's birthday. But I don't know how others feel about moving the BCF read-a-thon, ahhh the dilemmas haha. I guess I do have a short story written by an autistic author, so I could fit that into the BCF read-a-thon as it's short and it'd still be by an autistic author, but.. heh. I had also hoped to read C. G. Drews' newest book for the autistic read-a-thon but it's out on the 4th of April and will probably take a few days to ship to me, so I'll probably receive it after the Actually Autistic Authors read-a-thon is over.

Sorry for the long post :blush:. I guess I needed to tell these things to a friend :friends3:.

I can definitely see why it becomes stressful having multiple read-a-thons when you have to choose specific books. I don't think I would like that either. And I suppose BookTube adds an extra layer of pressure, because if you've said you will do that read-a-thon you feel like you have to, even if you just really don't feel like reading those particular books that day.

I don't think you should need to make a separate video explaining about not doing read-a-thons. If somebody asks you why you aren't doing them as much you can always just explain in a quick comment. I do think it would be very unreasonable for anybody to be offended that you find lots of read-a-thons too stressful anyway. People just enjoy different things!

I wouldn't mind at all if you wanted to move the April read-a-thon forward and I think everybody else would probably be fine with it too. If even the Actually Autistic read-a-thon alone would be stressful that week I don't think you should feel like you have to do that either. As you said, it was a while ago that you said you'd participate, and people would understand that things come up. If you wanted to be involved still you could maybe do something like a mini video of which books you would have chosen, or your favourite books by actually autistic authors (I think I remember that you've read some before?) to help other people choose what you read. I know you worry about offending people or letting people down because you're such a lovely person, but it is your channel, and it should be fun for you and not stressful. The same applies here, if the read-a-thon is ever stressful don't feel bad about suggesting a new date for it. You created it and you organise it, so you definitely have the right to do that! :friends3:

Thanks so much for your long answer :friends3:!

I do feel pressure on BookTube.

Yeah I'm inclined not to make a video and just explain it in a comment if someone asks, what you are saying makes a lot of sense :).

I'll ask it in the read-a-thon 2019 thread, how others would feel about moving the April read-a-thon :).

Yes, I have read some books by autistic authors! Making a video about recommendations of books by autistic authors sounds like a great idea :). It's autism week too that week, not sure if that's an international thing too (I think so?) but it's autism week in my country, the first week (ish) of April. I've been planning about making a video about autism memoirs for a while, but making one of recommendation of fiction books by autistic authors sounds like a great idea too :D

Thanks again for your answer!

On 1.1.2019 at 1:26 PM, Athena said:

Books read in February 2019.

37. Timo Parvela, Bjørn Sortland and Pasi Pitkänen - Kepler62 1: De Uitnodiging (Kepler62 - Kirja 1: Kutsu)
38. Timo Parvela, Bjørn Sortland and Pasi Pitkänen - Kepler62 2: De Lancering (Kepler62 - Bok 2: Nedtelling)

First of all, I wish you an amazing reading year in 2019! :smile2: I'm late to visiting all the threads this year :unsure:  

I was looking at the books you have already read this year and these two stood out, because of the Finnish names Timo Parvela and Pasi Pitkänen. Did you know they are Finnish? :D  Personally I haven't heard of these books before. I did recognize Timo's name, I thought he's mostly a children's author but it seems he's written to children, teenagers and adults alike. 

Re: your convo about BookTube with Hayley. I'm very unfamiliar with BookTube myself, I don't know what goes on in there. I have to admit that I'm not personally into any type of youtube videos and vlogs, I just wouldn't know what to watch and what to make of the videos. But that's beside the point. My point is, you shouldn't feel any pressure about the BookTube, as it's your hobby and you should only do what you feel comfortable doing. :)  Not everyone can always participate in everything, and it's totally understandable. I'm trying to juggle a few different things and I sometimes feel like I don't have the time to do it all, and I feel pressured, and then I'll just remind myself that I need to prioritize things and let the 'less meaningful' stuff go. :smile2:  

I also like the idea about recommendations of books by autistic authors! :smile2: I have made a new friend last year (off the internet) and she is somewhere on the autistic spectrum, and she also loves books, so I would definitely watch that video of those recommendations to see if she might like some of the books! :smile2: I recommended The Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to her and she really loved it! (Although the book was not written by an autistic author.) 

I did a little research and yes, we also have the autism awareness week over here in Finland at the same time as you do. :smile2:

On 18.3.2019 at 12:49 PM, Athena said:

I've decided most read-a-thons make me feel too stressed though and I'm too much of a mood reader for them, so going forward I plan to mostly just do the BCF read-a-thon :). But read-a-thons are such a thing on BookTube, that I'm also worried about offending anyone if I make a video about it. Most people on BookTube (as far as I know) do read-a-thons and love them, and most read-a-thons have challenges limiting you to specific books. But I'm such a mood reader, it doesn't work like that for me. I can do the graphic novels & manga, because it doesn't take me that long to read them, and I read them from a variety of genres so it works okay with my mood.

I posted about not doing read-a-thons on Twitter a while ago but no one from BookTube responded or liked the Tweet so.. I'm not sure if I want to make a separate video explaining or whether I'll just let my behaviour going forward, show how I feel (if that makes sense).

There is an Actually Autistic read-a-thon in the beginning of April, and some time ago I said I'd partcipate (I thought it'd be in the second half of April), but it takes place at the same time as the BCF read-a-thon and I can't do both at the same time (because none of the graphic novels and manga I want to read for our read-a-thon, are written by actually autistic authors). On top of that, during that week I'm pretty busy with a couple of appointments and one day going to my granddad's birthday. But I don't know how others feel about moving the BCF read-a-thon, ahhh the dilemmas haha. I guess I do have a short story written by an autistic author, so I could fit that into the BCF read-a-thon as it's short and it'd still be by an autistic author, but.. heh. I had also hoped to read C. G. Drews' newest book for the autistic read-a-thon but it's out on the 4th of April and will probably take a few days to ship to me, so I'll probably receive it after the Actually Autistic Authors read-a-thon is over.

Sorry for the long post :blush:. I guess I needed to tell these things to a friend :friends3:.

I totally understand about being a mood reader! :empathy: We are in the same boat!  I don't think you could offend anyone on BookTube if you said you weren't going to participate. It's not a mandatory thing! I think you should do what you want to do, and if that's the BCF read-a-thon, then that's that :)  I mean I understand that you would probably like to do them both but as you are busy that weekend anyway, you could just do the things you are ready, willing and wanting to do. 

I do wonder if the Actually Autistic read-a-thon applies to other places besides BookTube? 

22 hours ago, frankie said:

First of all, I wish you an amazing reading year in 2019! :smile2: I'm late to visiting all the threads this year :unsure:  

Thanks, you too :smile2:!

I was looking at the books you have already read this year and these two stood out, because of the Finnish names Timo Parvela and Pasi Pitkänen. Did you know they are Finnish? :D  Personally I haven't heard of these books before. I did recognize Timo's name, I thought he's mostly a children's author but it seems he's written to children, teenagers and adults alike. 

I looked up what country the authors were from after I was home from the library. It's cool that they are Finnish :)!

Re: your convo about BookTube with Hayley. I'm very unfamiliar with BookTube myself, I don't know what goes on in there. I have to admit that I'm not personally into any type of youtube videos and vlogs, I just wouldn't know what to watch and what to make of the videos. But that's beside the point. My point is, you shouldn't feel any pressure about the BookTube, as it's your hobby and you should only do what you feel comfortable doing. :)  Not everyone can always participate in everything, and it's totally understandable. I'm trying to juggle a few different things and I sometimes feel like I don't have the time to do it all, and I feel pressured, and then I'll just remind myself that I need to prioritize things and let the 'less meaningful' stuff go. :smile2:  

Thanks for your kind words :friends3:

I also like the idea about recommendations of books by autistic authors! :smile2: I have made a new friend last year (off the internet) and she is somewhere on the autistic spectrum, and she also loves books, so I would definitely watch that video of those recommendations to see if she might like some of the books! :smile2: I recommended The Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to her and she really loved it! (Although the book was not written by an autistic author.)

It's really nice you made a new friend and that she loved the book :D!!

I did a little research and yes, we also have the autism awareness week over here in Finland at the same time as you do. :smile2:

That's awesome :smile2:!

I totally understand about being a mood reader! :empathy: We are in the same boat!  I don't think you could offend anyone on BookTube if you said you weren't going to participate. It's not a mandatory thing! I think you should do what you want to do, and if that's the BCF read-a-thon, then that's that :)  I mean I understand that you would probably like to do them both but as you are busy that weekend anyway, you could just do the things you are ready, willing and wanting to do. 

Thank you :hug:.

I do wonder if the Actually Autistic read-a-thon applies to other places besides BookTube? 

I think it's also on Twitter and maybe on book blogs :).

For anyone who may be interested, I just uploaded a video giving book reviews of all the books I read during the BCF March Read-a-thon. I don't really want to type out reviews for all of these books right now, but if there is a specific one anyone is interested in, feel free to ask and I'll try to write a bit about it (if you can't / don't want to watch the video).

I read Geek Magnifique by Melissa Boyle. This is a memoir of a woman from the UK, and how she struggled with her OCD and her emetophobia (fear of vomiting). I thought the memoir was a good read, I found it interesting and nicely written.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more recent reviews.

In An Absent Dream, book 4 in the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire. I liked this book but it was my least favourite of the series, unfortunately.

Geekerella by Ashley Poston. This was a very enjoyable read!

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews! I've looked at the Wayward Children series myself and the main thing that put me off was the length to be honest. I saw a few reviews on Goodreads that suggested the books had a wonderful concept but the potential wasn't fulfilled because they were so short. So it's good to know that you enjoyed them anyway. One of the other things I read was that the plot became very predictable, did you find that in the series?

The Weight of Stars sounds like a really interesting concept too, I agree that the cover and the page edges are really nice! :) 

Thanks Hayley :)! I didn't find the plots of the first 3 books predictable. Book 4 was a bit predictable towards the end, mainly because you know the character from book 1, and book 4 is a prequel to book 1, so you know a bit about what'll happen. I guess you could argue the same for book 2, but I enjoyed that one a lot. Book 3 is a sequel to book 1, so I don't think it was that predictable. But sometimes I don't mind predictable plots so it didn't bother me too much (though book 4 is definitely my least favourite of the series).

Thanks @Athena :) I don't mind being able to guess what happens next sometimes, as long as it's just because you've worked it out and not because the story is unoriginal, if that makes sense. I might see if they have the series in my local library next time I'm there, to give the first one a try. Although I do have a very large tbr pile at the moment...  :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops, I've forgot to stay up to date with posting reviews here.

First off, some childhood nostalgia:

Then, I was a bit disappointed with book 3 in the Wayfarers series:

This book about women with autism came recommended by my support worker / therapist, and I liked it a lot:

After that I read a YA anthology themed around disability:

Recent reviews.

First off, Proud, an LGBT+ UK YA anthology of short stories, poetry and art on the theme of pride (by various authors, edited by Juno Dawson). I quite enjoyed this collection.

Graphic works of our April read-a-thon wrap-up, most of these were nice reads. My favourite one was Kid Gloves, Lucy Knisley's memoir on pregnancy.

And lastly my review for E. J. Copperman's Night of the Living Deed, book 1 in the Haunted Guesthouse series. I enjoyed this one a lot.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I made a video showing an overview of my book shelves. It's a long video, so I understand if no one is interested, but I thought I'd post it just in case anyone would like a closer look at my bookshelves.

Reading wise, I'm currently working my way through my library loans. My next read will be a Geronimo Stilton book, I borrowed a few of them from the library. Reis door de tijd 8, is my next read.

Here is the list of library loans, though I'm certain I won't get around to the longer ones, as I have only a few days left before handing them in. Oh well, I could loan them again another time. I've read some already, I've read the Spy School books, the autism memoir, the autism information book, Oomen stroomt over and I've read some of the Stilton books.

Phil Earle (ill. Steve May) - Superdad's Day Off
Tony De Sualles - Bee Boy 2: Attack of the Zombees
Harriet Whitehorn - Violet 3: Violet en de Smokkelaars (Violet 3: Violet and the Smugglers)
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 19: Dolfje en Noura
Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Wonderrijk 2: De Droombewaker (Le Guardiane dei Sogni)
Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 73: Ridder voor een Dag (Cavaliere per un Giorno)
Geronimo Stilton - De Kleine Prinses (La Piccola Principessa)
Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 8 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 8)
Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rosen 5: De Verdwenen Prinses (Il Segreto delle Fate dei Fiori)
Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 12: Fantasia XII: Het Vlammenravijn (Regno Della Fantasia 12: Il Grande Segreto)
Usborne - Geïllustreerde Verhalen uit de Griekse Mythologie ()
Terri Libenson - Lakefront Middle School 2: Positively Izzy
Joe Sug, Amrit Birdi, Matt Whyman, Mindy Lopkin and Joaquin Pereyra - Username 1: Username: Evie
Joe Sug, Amrit Birdi, Matt Whyman, Mindy Lopkin and Joaquin Pereyra - Username 2: Username: Regenerated
Stuart Gibbs - Spy School 1: Spy School
Stuart Gibbs - Spy School 2: Spy Camp
Robert Adkinson & Others - Spirituele Symbolen: Volkeren, Religies, Mysteries (Sacred Symbols: Peoples, Religions, Mysteries)
Marije van Dongen - Dramaqueen of Gewoon Autisme?
Francine Oomen - Oomen Stroomt Over
Jiami - Niet Wat Jij Denkt: Hoe Bloggen en YouTube Mijn Leven met Anorexia Veranderden
Liane Holliday Willey - Handboek voor Asperger Vrouwen (Safety Skills for Asperger Women)
Trudy Dehue - Betere Mensen: Over Gezondheid als Keuze en Koopwaar
Lidewijde Paris - Hoe Lees Ik?
Lidewijde Paris - Hoe Lees Ik Korte Verhalen?
Jan Van Coillie - Leesbeesten en Boekenfeesten: Hoe Werken (met) Kinder- en Jeugdboeken?

Picture:

NewBooks_LibraryLoans_2019-05-04_Spines_05.jpg

I hope everyone is doing well, happy reading & have a nice week :).

• 2 weeks later...

In the beginning of May I read Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit by Bianca Toeps. I loved this autism memoir. I've been reading the author's blog for a while, so I knew some things about her going into the memoir. I loved it, it was so good!

Glad you enjoyed your last book so much! Also love the chicken being like 'hey, come and feed me!' while you're trying to review :lol:

I agree it's a nice cover. I was interested to learn how Asperger is pronounced in Dutch too!

This is late, but I forgot to comment after I watched the last video... Your bookshelves are amazing. I aspire to have that many bookshelves and for them to be that organised! I think I might have said this before, after a previous video, but I also really love your bookish cushions, that sofa looks like the perfect reading spot!

On 5/26/2019 at 9:50 PM, Hayley said:

Glad you enjoyed your last book so much! Also love the chicken being like 'hey, come and feed me!' while you're trying to review :lol:

I agree it's a nice cover. I was interested to learn how Asperger is pronounced in Dutch too!

Me too! Haha yes :lol:.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:50 PM, Hayley said:

This is late, but I forgot to comment after I watched the last video... Your bookshelves are amazing. I aspire to have that many bookshelves and for them to be that organised! I think I might have said this before, after a previous video, but I also really love your bookish cushions, that sofa looks like the perfect reading spot!

Thank you so much, Hayley :)!! It means a lot to me that you like my bookshelves :).

The Matilda cushions my boyfriend made (from the material) as a birthday gift (I love them!). The other reading-related cushions I bought online from Paperfury's Society6 Shop. I would buy more of her stuff if it wasn't for the import tax that we have to pay in my country, on things from outside Europe over $20. Cait (paperfury) lives in Australia but Society6 is located in the US. I follow her blog and she is also an author, I do love her graphical design things.

A few reviews of some of my library loans. More reviews to come, I have already finished all of the library loans, but I don't want to upload too many videos in one time, so I'm doing one every couple of days (but I don't update this thread as often as I should!)

Stuart Gibbs - Spy School 1 & 2: Spy School & Spy Camp. I really liked reading these books. I've already read books 3, 4 and 5 in the series, so I knew a few things already. I still really enjoyed reading the beginning of this series.

Liane Holliday Willey - Handboek voor Asperger Vrouwen (Safety Skills for Asperger Women). A disappointing read. I didn't get much out of this. Most things either were things I already knew, or didn't apply much to me. The Dutch title is way more generic ('guidebook') than the English one, and created therefore the wrong expectations from me. The English title makes a lot more sense.

Marije van Dongen - Dramaqueen of gewoon autisme?. This book came recommended to me by my support worker / therapist. I enjoyed reading this memoir.

Francine Oomen - Oomen stroomt over. A graphic memoir about a women's time during menopause. I've read a number of children's & YA books by this author, so when I saw she had written something autobiographical rather than fiction, I was curious. I really enjoyed this graphic memoir.

6 Stilton library loans:

Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Wonderrijk 2: De Droombewaker (Le Guardiane dei Sogni)
Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 73: Ridder voor een Dag (Cavaliere per un Giorno)
Geronimo Stilton, Frances Hodgson Burnett - De Kleine Prinses (La Piccola Principessa)
Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 8 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 8)
Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rosen 5: De Verdwenen Prinses (Il Segreto delle Fate dei Fiori)
Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 12: Fantasia XII: Het Vlammenravijn (Regno Della Fantasia 12: Il Grande Segreto)

The last four were quite enjoyable, the first two were a bit disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some book reviews.

Phil Earle (ill. Steve May) - Superdad's Day Off (a nice read)

Tony De Saulles - Bee Boy 2: Attack of the Zombees (this was enjoyable)
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 19: Dolfje en Noura (liked the 2nd more than the 1rst half)
Terri Libenson - Lakefront Middle School 2: Positively Izzy (this ending confused me a bit)
Joe Sugg, Amrit Birdi, Matt Whyman, Mindy Lopkin and Joaquin Pereyra - Username 1: Username: Evie
Joe Sugg, Amrit Birdi, Matt Whyman, Mindy Lopkin and Joaquin Pereyra - Username 2: Username: Regenerated (these two were nice but not great).

Harriet Whitehorn (ill. Becka Moor) - Violet 3: Violet en de Smokkelaars (Violet 3: Violet and the Smugglers) (a nice read)
Usborne, Russell Punter, Susanna Davidson, Alex Frith, Lesley Sims, Louie Stowell (ill. Matteo Pincelli, Linda Cavallini, Simona Bursi) - Geïllustreerde Verhalen uit de Griekse Mythologie (Illustrated Stories From the Greek Myths) (the illustrations were nice and it was nice to revisit these myths)
Jiami Jongejan and Bouwien Jansen - Niet wat jij denkt (interesting anorexia memoir of a Dutch blogger & YouTuber)

Robert Adkinson & Others - Spirituele Symbolen: Volkeren, Religies, Mysteries (Sacred Symbols: Peoples, Religions, Mysteries) (beautiful pictures, felt like it missed some things)

Mason Deaver - I Wish You All The Best (I loved this book, non-binary main character Ben gets kicked out of their house by their parents after they come out)

Taylor Jenkins Reid - The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (a read out of my comfort zone, historical fiction detailing the life of (ficticious) movie star Evelyn Hugo. LGBT elements).

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts on the books I read during the BCF June Read-a-thon:

Here's what I read:

Yoshitoki Oima - A Silent Voice 4: Volume 4 (a nice continuation)
Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket 5: Volume 5 (re-read) (enjoyable)
Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket 6: Volume 6 (re-read) (enjoyable)
Gigi D. G. - Cucumber Quest 4: The Flower Kingdom (a disappointment)
Skottie Young - I Hate Fairyland 3: Good Girl (I liked this one a lot)
Nagata Kabi - My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (interesting read)
Vera Brosgol (col. Alec Longstreth) - Be Prepared (nice read)
David Small - Stitches (this was an interesting graphic memoir)
Gene Luen Yang and Thien Pham - Level Up (liked this one more than American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang)
Ngozi Ukazu - Check, Please! 1: #Hockey (a disappointment)

It's a shame that a couple of your books were disappointing, but at least most of them have been good!

This is late (I'm still catching up from the 16th!) but I like the look of the illustrated Greek Mythology book and I know exactly what you mean about those squishy covers, they do feel nice! 

I've also heard good things about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo but, a bit like you, I feel like it's not my usual kind of book. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I also love your cat t-shirt in that video :lol:

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

It's a shame that a couple of your books were disappointing, but at least most of them have been good!

This is late (I'm still catching up from the 16th!) but I like the look of the illustrated Greek Mythology book and I know exactly what you mean about those squishy covers, they do feel nice! 

Glad you know what I mean :D.

I've also heard good things about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo but, a bit like you, I feel like it's not my usual kind of book. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I also love your cat t-shirt in that video :lol:

Thank you Hayley! :)