Chrissy's Reading 2019

Chrissy

2 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

I love the Ann Cleeves books, and just started watching the Shetland series.  I would love to go to Shetland one day, especially since my family are originally from Scotland, but since I live in New Zealand, it's very expensive from here.  Maybe one day I'll win the lottery. 

Some of my family were from Scotland too, bookmonkey ... and same problem :D My sister has visited and absolutely loved it.

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

We think we have located Jimmy Perez's waterside home from the tv series!

Good spotting, Chrissy! I wonder if anyone else has worked it out (apart from locals, of course ... they're probably sworn to secrecy :blush:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/06/2019 at 6:10 AM, bookmonkey said:

I love the Ann Cleeves books, and just started watching the Shetland series.  I would love to go to Shetland one day, especially since my family are originally from Scotland, but since I live in New Zealand, it's very expensive from here.  Maybe one day I'll win the lottery. 

@bookmonkeyIt is a wonderful place to viist, with such a special 'vibe' to it. It's also one of those places where you have to wear a woolly hat and sunglasses at the same time! The wind is super charged on an average day. :D 

On 19/06/2019 at 8:32 AM, poppy said:

Good spotting, Chrissy! I wonder if anyone else has worked it out (apart from locals, of course ... they're probably sworn to secrecy :blush:)

@poppyOne or two places you see on the tv and wonder "Is that the road that leads to.......?" I know they film on the Scottish Mainland for a lot of it, so I think they try to be THIS BIT IS DEFINITELY SHETLAND when the film the on island bits. :giggle2: Great stuff! 

Edited by Chrissy

26) La Belle Sauvage : Book of Dust Volume One by Philip Pullman

A prequel book to the wonderful His Dark Materials trilogy (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). The story is set when Lyra from the later (or earlier, if you see what I mean) books is a baby. The main protagonist here is a young lad, curious and fiercely intelligent who observes a series of events that thrusts him into a world where he can trust only his own perceptions to keep himself and tjose he loves safe. Friendship, loyalty, and the power of protection come to the fore as Lyra's early months are filled with peril and dark motives. 

A welcome returm to the world of Lyra. I had enjoyed Pullman's earlier books enormously and wondered whether he would be able to capture the spirit of those books again so many years on. I needn't have worried. Some great new characters, some to love, and others to loathe. A well -paced story that gives greater understanding not only to Lyra's world, but also the early investiagtions into Dust and the very nature of humanity. 

Two more books are planned apparently, set after HDMs trilogy. I will be very interested to see where he takes things. 

27) & 28) Once Upon A Time In The North / Lyra's Oxford  by Philip Pullman

Two short books, only published as delightful hard back books. Once Upon A Time In The North is a story that shows the start of Lee Scoresby and Iorek Bernisons' friendship, as well as the stirrings of poiitical activity in the Northern Countries prior to HDM events. Lyra's Oxford, set after the trology deepens our understanding of Lyra's place in the universe, and suggest an ongoing importance in the fate of the worlds.

I enjoyed dipping back into the world of Lyra, and decided to treat myself to a re read of HDMs trilogy. It's nice to go where my reading whim takes me. :smile:

I love all of the above Phillip Pullman books and glad you enjoyed them too Chrissy! I was also worried at first that La Belle Sauvage couldn't capture the same spirit as the earlier books but it really just fit perfectly didn't it? I also agree that the little hard back books are really lovely :) 

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2019 at 3:50 PM, muggle not said:

Philip Pullman's books sound interesting. I will check out our library to see if they have his books.

Sorry muggle, I had missed your post. Life has been busy of late, and I have only been darting in and out of the forum.

I can thoroughly recommend the series, and consider them a favourite. They are enchanting, original and compelling. I have returned to them a few times and am never disappointed. I would start with the trilogy ; 1) Northern Lights (possibly called The Golden Compass in the US), 2) The Subtle Knife and 3) The Amber Spyglass. 

29), 30) & 31) HDM ; Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, & The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

An absolute favourite series of mine. A beautifully realised universe filled with characters of depth. It leaves us with a message we can all take to heart. Wonderful!

32) Origin by Dan Brown

It is said often that Dan Brown doesn't write great literature, but that doesn't render his books unreadable. I enjoy the many romps he takes us through via the adventures of his character Robert Langdon. Improbable, unlikely and just plain hoopla at times? Yes, yes, and yes! but despite the occasional mental eye roll I always enjoy reading them, and I can honestly say that I do learn from them. I have done further reading and referencing each time I have read a Dan Brown, so he's getting something right. 

33) Shadowsight , & 34) Ghostlight by EJ Stevens

I love a good urban fantasy series, with the contemporary urban environs mixed in with supernatural folklore. Throw in a heroine fighting against the forces of evil with determination, humour and a merry band of misfits and I am your girl. Escapism at its finest! Keep 'em coming Ms Stevens!  

Edited by Chrissy

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

29), 30) & 31) HDM ; Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, & The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

An absolute favourite series of mine. A beautifully realised universe filled with characters of depth. It leaves us with a message we can all take to heart. Wonderful!

32) Origin by Dan Brown

It is said often that Dan Brown doesn't write great literature, but that doesn't render his books unreadable. I enjoy the many romps he takes us through via the adventures of his character Robert Langdon. Improbable, unlikely and just plain hoopla at times? Yes, yes, and yes! but despite the occasional mental eye roll I always enjoy reading them, and I can honestly say that I do learn from them. I have done further reading and referencing each time I have read a Dan Brown, so he's getting something right. 

I love a good urban fantasy series, with the contemporary urban environs mixed in with supernatural folklore. Throw in a heroine fighting against the forces of evil with determination, humour and a merry band of misfits and I am your girl. Escapism at its finest! Keep 'em coming Ms Stevens!  

Thanks, my reading has slowed down and grown stale. You have given me some new reading ideas.

2 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

I've never read any Dan Brown, but I agree that sometimes you just can't beat a bit of Pulp Fiction. Looks like you're enjoying your reading lately Chrissy.

He does include a lot of interesting 'nuggets', almost like asides to the main plots, into his books, and the locations he has passed through in his books have made me think, "If I ever go to.....I would check that out". Holiday reads might be a way to describe them.

40 minutes ago, muggle not said:

Thanks, my reading has slowed down and grown stale. You have given me some new reading ideas.

If you do ever read the Philip Pullman books I very much look forward to reading your thoughts on them. :)

6 hours ago, muggle not said:

Philip Pullman's books are available in out library and I just finished downloading The Golden Compass to my kindle. Looking forward to reading it.

Also looking forward to hearing what you think! :) 

11 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Oooh I also love a bit of urban fantasy and folklore, these sound interesting! I’ll have to add them to my wish list! 

8 hours ago, muggle not said:

Philip Pullman's books are available in out library and I just finished downloading The Golden Compass to my kindle. Looking forward to reading it.

I goofed up. I downloaded the Graphic version of The Golden Compass. I returned the book and put my name on the hold list for the ebook version. I am #15 but the library has 5 copies so I shouldn't have to wait too long. :)

I also requested the library to purchase the kindle version of Shadowsight and Ghostlight.

Edited by muggle not

Haven't read the book, but The Golden Compass was a fabulous film. I tried to make Lyra's knitted coat one time but got a bit carried away with too many different yarns and it looked rather too way out :blush: 

Just discovered that Lyra actress, Dakota Blue Richards, is grown up WPC Shirley Trewlove in Endeavour.

Edited by poppy

On 8/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, poppy said:

Haven't read the book, but The Golden Compass was a fabulous film. I tried to make Lyra's knitted coat one time but got a bit carried away with too many different yarns and it looked rather too way out :blush: 

Just discovered that Lyra actress, Dakota Blue Richards, is grown up WPC Shirley Trewlove in Endeavour.

Was it "A Coat Of Many Colors".

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely read them in order muggle not, they won;t make much sense otherwise. And you post any Dolly you want to in the thread - she is always welcome! :)

They are a lovely trio of books, and are thought provoking without being pious. 

• 1 month later...

There has been the occasional battle with depression since I was a teen, but this year has been a bit more of a struggle than usual, and this has impacted my reading quite a bit. This second half the year I have leaned toward re reads, the comfort of the familiar has most definitely been required. 

At some stage (hopefully before year end) I will make note of what I have been reading, and perhaps have a think about my reading hopes for next year. :)