World Without End - Ken Follett

angerball

I had been eagerly awaiting this book, ever since it was announced, about two years ago. Pillars of the Earth was one of my favourite novels, and introduced me to the historical fiction genre.

Though it is marketed as the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, World Without End could easily be read without having read the former. It is set two centuries after Pillars of the Earth, and any references to that book are made in passing.

The book is set in the town of Kingsbridge, and spans approximately thirty years of the 14th Century. It opens with four young children

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi folks,new to this site.Looks great btw ;) I've just finished reading 'World Without End' by Ken Follett.I've been a fan of his ever since I read the Pillars of the Earth back in 1990.Lost touch with the reading bug though over the last couple of years and didn't even know this sequel was out!! But wow,this book really is immense,as good as Pillars for me and a real masterpiece.Any other Follett fans out there?I'm also a fan of the classics....the Bronte sisters and Thomas Hardy in particular.

• 8 years later...

Hmm, that might have to go on the wishlist - I've read the first two, but I had no idea there was another in the pipeline. I assume it weighs several kilo's like the first two!

Got it on paperback already, folks!

I ordered one hardback and one paperback accidentally while doing my dithering.  Which actually is just as well as the hardback is pretty weighty and I was finding it difficult to hold comfortably, especially with my weaker left wrist.( A point to remember if you may buy this for anyone who has hand\wrist problems as a gift.) The print in the paperback is smallish but readable so I'll be able to make better progress, now. 

Still getting settled into the characters at present, but there's plenty of book left to get to know them.

Happy reading, all book fans out there :)

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear it's still a good read, though it's a shame it wasn't as enjoyable for you as the two previous Kingsbridge novels.

My dad gifted me a copy of the book for my birthday (a paperback), so I'll be reading the book at some point :).

• 2 years later...
On 01/06/2020 at 3:20 AM, JFR1984 said:

I am very glad I read this post! I very much enjoyed ALL of the Pillars of the Earth trilogy, and was excited to see a Prequel is to be released later this year! A definite must read for me.

Oooh I didn't know about the prequel, thanks for mentioning it :)! I've read the first two books in the trilogy and loved them. I still need to read the third book, though I may re-read the first two books first.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Smoritz007 said:

Hi there, 

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article comparing World Without End and the handling of the plague in the book with how we are working through Coronavirus.

Hope all is well!

Hi Smoritz, I'm afraid I had to remove the link from your post as we don't allow new members to include links. We also don't allow posts that are purely promotional but if you'd like to discuss your thoughts with other readers here on the forum you are of course very welcome, it sounds like an interesting subject!

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 5:32 AM, Athena said:

Oooh I didn't know about the prequel, thanks for mentioning it :)! I've read the first two books in the trilogy and loved them. I still need to read the third book, though I may re-read the first two books first.

Just taking "The Evening and the Morning" back to the Library today Athena. Enough to say I enjoyed this Huge read! I'm sure you will too.:)