Changed Text

SeaJay

I understand there can be errors in a kindle version of a given book (I've found some myself), but what I don't understand is why the narrative is changed slightly. For example: 'The Redemption of Althalus'. 

Hardback: "...sergeant Khalor said, bleakly."

Kindle: "...said sergeant Khalor."

I don't understand why they would change this. This is an issue for me because I now no longer trust the kindle version to be true to the hardcopy. I have OCD (and other issues) so this kind of thing really plays on my mind. I'm thinking things like; "What if this is different in the hardback?", or "How do I know I am not losing some nuance due to these changes?"

With an obvious error - it's obvious, so you know when to deal with it. But when the text is changed like this, there's really no way of knowing (it was by chance I found this one).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Could be different prints of the book, ie. a first edition vs. a more edited later edition? I've not encountered this myself, but I don't usually read a book in two different formats at once. I can understand it bothers you though, that would bother me too! I have the paperback edition of The Redemption of Althalus, not sure what it says in there though (I don't know what page it's on?). I'm not sure what edition it is but if you want I can go to my bookshelves and find the book and see what it says. It does seem odd they would change the text!

I agree with Athena, it's probably a different printing that has been converted to ebook format but the change does seem to be a very strange one to make. I would expect this in different translations if the author hadn't written in English but that doesn't apply in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting. I can't find where it is in the book (Redemption of Althalus). I just spent about 30mins searching an online document for the word 'bleakly' and oddly enougb, I can't find the discrepancy anywhere.

Perhaps I got it wrong - pretty sure I haven't though.

Oh well.