Your Book Activity - December 2018

Onion Budgie

7 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

Should finish A Surfeit of Lampreys by Ngaio Marsh tonight.  I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to anyone who likes Agatha Christie.  

I have it on my shelf!  I've only read one other Ngaio Marsh (Tied Up in Tinsel), and rather enjoyed it, so I'm glad this one is a goodun' too.

23 hours ago, Brian. said:

Time for a new book this afternoon and I am going for Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen.

I hope you like this one, I quite liked it (in Dutch it's called Incendio).

I'm currently reading The Mother of All Christmases by Milly Johnson. Hoping to get it done before Christmas is over. I've only read a few chapters so far, so we'll see when I finish it. So far I'm liking it :).

I finished Jerusalem Inn.  It wasn't so great in the end.  The story meandered and turned dull.  The author irritated me by yacking on too much about snooker, the rules of which she had only the barest grasp on.  Goofs galore.  Bah.  2/5

I'm just about to start Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.

I spent the afternoon on the sofa drinking and tea and finishing Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen. It’s not going to win any literature awards but for an afternoon read I enjoyed it. It also taught me a few things I didn’t know about Italy’s relationship with the holocaust.

4 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

I'm just about to start Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.

I read that as the book for Ohio in my Tour of the US States challenge.  Although it was apparently John Steinbeck's favourite book, I don't know anybody else who has read it, so am looking forward to finding out what you think of it.

Like Brian, I've spent much of the afternoon curled up (not on a sofa though, but in front of the Aga - so a real Aga saga day!) reading books.  First of all read the second half of Elizabeth Taylor's Angel, then went on to The Postman Always Rings Twice, a very quick read indeed.  I'm a real fan of Taylor, but this wasn't one of my favourites, not least because I thought the humour that most reviewers rave about was somewhat misplaced.  TPART was clever, but didn't really grab me.  Both got 3 stars.

I'm still reading I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong. I keep putting it aside for fiction. :rolleyes: I've finished The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarity (good but not great), The Miracle Inspector by Helen Smith, and I'm now reading Dog On It by Spencer Quinn (told through the eyes of a dog which is always fun :lol:).

I'm also listening to The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins. I have about 6 hours to go, but I'm struggling to find the time to listen to it other than during my long drives to work (I have a week off). Twice over the last couple of days, I settled on the sofa to listen, and both times I was asleep within 10 minutes. :D

I also fancy reading some Peter F Hamilton, so once I finish up with my current reads I may get under way with The Reality Dysfunction. I might also buy it on audible so I can switch between the two. 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, bobblybear said:

I also fancy reading some Peter F Hamilton, so once I finish up with my current reads I may get under way with The Reality Dysfunction. I might also buy it on audible so I can switch between the two. 

I hope you enjoy this one :)! I love this trilogy. I'm planning to re-read the third book next year (2019).

I'm still reading The Mother of All Christmases, I'm almost halfway through. I haven't had a lot of time to read because we've been busy (Christmas, birthday, etc). I am enjoying the book though :).

On 12/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy this one :)! I love this trilogy. I'm planning to re-read the third book next year (2019).

I started it yesterday, and it's good so far. There is a fair amount of techie-speak and new concepts but I'm managing to keep up with it. :)

Having read and enjoyed Justin Cronin's 'The Passage' I have moved onto the second of the trilogy 'The Twelve'. I was slightly dreading this read, as the middle book of a trilogy can sometimes feel like a bridge between one and two, rather than a solid read of it's own. Happily I can report that I have been pleasantly surprised, it has already startled and delighted (if that's the right word for the subject matter) me. 

A brief dart away read took place on Christmas Day when I read Jodi Taylor's short story, 'And Now For Something Completely Different' from her Chronicles of St Mary's series. A wonderful and satisfying treat. :)

Edited by Chrissy

Finished Melissa Harrison's At Hawthorn Time, which I loved - beautiful writing.  Have now moved on to Wilding by Isabella Tree, an account of the transformation of the Knepp Estate in Sussex from high intensity farming to one of the leading rewilding experiments in Europe.

Edited by willoyd

• Athena unpinned this topic