• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

Special Christmas Giveaway!   12/01/2018

I am very, very excited to announce a special Christmas giveaway for supporting members! Thanks to https://www.secretbookclubuk.co.uk/ one supporting member will win a Secret Book Club Book Box on December 25th!      The winner will be able to choose between six great genres for their book box: Crime & Thriller Mind, Body & Soul Debut Novel or Self Published History Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy    See the 'Giveaways' thread for more details   
Sign in to follow this  
Onion Budgie

Your Book Activity - December 2018

It's December already!  What's everyone reading?

I'll be finishing Agatha Christie's The Sittaford Mystery later today.  A very intriguing mystery.  I've no idea whodunnit.

Next up is A Christmas Malice by John Bainbridge.  I've not read anything by this author before.

I'm currently reading Snow in Love: Four Stories by Melissa de la Cruz, Nic Stone, Aimee Friedman and Kasie West. Today it's 5 December, which is Sinterklaas in the Netherlands. We don't celebrate it anymore, but in honour of it I am planning on reading a Sinterklaas-themed children's book later after I finish reading the first short story in Snow in Love.

I hope you enjoy your mystery and your Christmas themed book :).

Have just finished East West Street by Philippe Sands, an absolutely phenomenal piece of writing/history, one of the most powerful books I've read in a very long while.  It may seem odd, but I hesitate to give it 6 stars, i.e. 'favourite' status, simply because I'm not sure I can regard it as a 'favourite', mainly because I doubt I'll bring myself to read it again; it's not traumatic, just demanding (in a good way!), and I'm not sure it'll carry quite the same weight another time around.  Needs sitting on, as it's not often that a book is almost 'too good' to be a favourite.  Whatever, what a book!

Edited by willoyd

Finished off Antoine Laurain's shortie, The President's Hat this morning. I've been reading it on the Kindle at bedtime, but got to the point where I wanted a good run at it to finish off.  Lightweight, very easy read, gently inconsequential, a nice counterpoint to my other reading lately.  The reading club questions provided at the back seem a bit pretentious for what seems to be a pretty straightforward tale.  Fun though.  3 stars.

Edited by willoyd

Picked up Artemis by Andy Weir last night. I never read The Martian but I have seen the movie which I thought was pretty good. Quite a few people I know really enjoyed reading The Martian so I thought id give Weir a go. I'm about 100 pages into it and its ok but nothing special so far.

9 hours ago, Brian. said:

I never read The Martian but I have seen the movie which I thought was pretty good.

We went to see it with offspring, a physicist, who was quite impressed with the accuracy of the science. Just one dodgy moment, but, even then, possible. Unlike Gravity which he said was good fun, but totally implausible!

Yeah Gravity was fairly bonkers. I finished Artemis, I'll do a proper review in a few days but to sum it up. Meh! It was a quick read and I got on with it fine but it was pretty unremarkable.

I've just finished A Christmas Malice.  The festive atmosphere and the characters were great; the punctuation, not so much.  It needed more commas.  Still, for a self-published work it was a fine read.

I'm just about to start Jerusalem Inn by Martha Grimes; the last of my Christmas-themed reads for the year. 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:04 PM, Brian. said:

Picked up Artemis by Andy Weir last night. I never read The Martian but I have seen the movie which I thought was pretty good. Quite a few people I know really enjoyed reading The Martian so I thought id give Weir a go. I'm about 100 pages into it and its ok but nothing special so far.

I haven't read Artemis but from what I've seen, people (the ones I follow/watch online) really liked The Martian but they liked Artemis not as much. I really liked The Martian, both the book and the movie.