Hello!

dolly

Hello to everyone:)

I’m Dolly, nearly through a half of my junior year at high school.

I definitely enjoy reading, especially the classics written by different authors from various countries. My favourite book is, without doubt, “War and Peace” by Count Tolstoy.

As for other hobbies, I am head over hills in love with Math, and that probably means that it’ll be my uni major, but, who knows..

Glad to be a part of this forum, guys!

3 hours ago, dolly said:

Hello to everyone:)

I’m Dolly, nearly through a half of my junior year at high school.

I definitely enjoy reading, especially the classics written by different authors from various countries. My favourite book is, without doubt, “War and Peace” by Count Tolstoy.

As for other hobbies, I am head over hills in love with Math, and that probably means that it’ll be my uni major, but, who knows..

Glad to be a part of this forum, guys!

Hi Dolly - welcome to the Forum. 

I too am a big fan of War and Peace. Have you read any other books by Tolstoy? He is probably one of my favourite writers - I find he is particularly good at character development and plot. I think I have a bit of a soft spot for Russian writers.

I look forward to seeing you around the Forum. :) 

28 minutes ago, Angury said:

Hi Dolly - welcome to the Forum. 

I too am a big fan of War and Peace. Have you read any other books by Tolstoy? He is probably one of my favourite writers - I find he is particularly good at character development and plot. I think I have a bit of a soft spot for Russian writers.

I look forward to seeing you around the Forum. :) 

Hi Angury!

So far I have read his “Anna Karenina” (my second favourite), “Resurrection”, “Hadji Murad”, “Childhood”, “Boyhood” and “Youth”. What about you?

I utterly agree with your words about his writing talent. Personally, I also enjoy the way he includes a lot of philosophy into the stories.

What other Russian books have you read?

On 12/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, dolly said:

Hi Angury!

So far I have read his “Anna Karenina” (my second favourite), “Resurrection”, “Hadji Murad”, “Childhood”, “Boyhood” and “Youth”. What about you?

I utterly agree with your words about his writing talent. Personally, I also enjoy the way he includes a lot of philosophy into the stories.

What other Russian books have you read?

I've read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich - which is probably my favourite work by Tolstoy.

I've read two of Dostoevsky's works - The Brothers Karamazov & Notes from the Underground and have The Idiot on my to-read list. 

My all-time favourite author is Vladimir Nabokov - when I read his writing I feel like I'm watching genius at work. Have you read anything by him? 

16 hours ago, Athena said:

Welcome here :)!

Thank you, Athena!

Your nickname is amazing:) Are you keen on mythology or is it just a nickname?

Or is it your actual name?

Edited by dolly

6 hours ago, Angury said:

I've read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich - which is probably my favourite work by Tolstoy.

I've read two of Dostoevsky's works - The Brothers Karamazov & Notes from the Underground and have The Idiot on my to-read list. 

My all-time favourite author is Vladimir Nabokov - when I read his writing I feel like I'm watching genius at work. Have you read anything by him? 

Hopefully, I’ll read something by Nabokov one day, but I haven’t got around to that yet. What exactly would you suggest?

As for Dostoevsky, it’s just the reverse with me: I’ve read “The Idiot” and have both “The Brothers Karamazov” and “Notes from the Underground” on my to-read list:readingtwo:

4 hours ago, dolly said:

Thank you, Athena!

Your nickname is amazing:) Are you keen on mythology or is it just a nickname?

Or is it your actual name?

Thank you! Athena is not my actual name. My actual name is Gaia, which is also from Greek mythology. Gaia is often not available as a name online (often already taken), so I picked Athena as a nickname :). I do like mythology!

On 05.12.2018 at 10:41 AM, Athena said:

Thank you! Athena is not my actual name. My actual name is Gaia, which is also from Greek mythology. Gaia is often not available as a name online (often already taken), so I picked Athena as a nickname :). I do like mythology!

It’s a trifle surprising, as I would have thought Athena to be a more popular nickname than Gaia, but, you never know:)

These two names make up an interesting combination due to their meanings!

Does Greek mythology especially appeal to you, or is it a multicultural interest?

1 hour ago, dolly said:

It’s a trifle surprising, as I would have thought Athena to be a more popular nickname than Gaia, but, you never know:)

These two names make up an interesting combination due to their meanings!

Does Greek mythology especially appeal to you, or is it a multicultural interest?

Greek mythology is a particular favourite of mine, but I am interested in other mythologies as well :). Though history was never my best subject in school, I do find mythology of multiple-gods religions (ie. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans) quite interesting.

P.S. I like your avatar :).

On 06.12.2018 at 3:05 PM, Athena said:

Greek mythology is a particular favourite of mine, but I am interested in other mythologies as well :). Though history was never my best subject in school, I do find mythology of multiple-gods religions (ie. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans) quite interesting.

P.S. I like your avatar :).

Thank you:blush:

Could you recommend something to read on the subject of Greek/Roman mythology?

1 hour ago, dolly said:

Could you recommend something to read on the subject of Greek/Roman mythology?

I'm sorry, most of the books I read when I was a teenager (it was then that I really read a lot of books on the subject), were in Dutch, and they were library copies so I don't really remember much of authors or titles. Two that I remember (and bought my own copies of later on) are Mythen en sagen van de Griekse wereld by Sophie Ramondt, and Oude oosterse verhalen by Dr. Onno Damsté (but I don't know if either one of these authors are available in English).

I'm not really sure of English experts on the subject! I'm from the Netherlands and when I was a teenager I didn't really read books in English much yet. I was taught Greek and Latin at my high school, so those lessons are also partly of where I learnt about mythology.

• 4 weeks later...