• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
dolly

Hello!

Hello to everyone:)

I’m Dolly, nearly through a half of my junior year at high school.

I definitely enjoy reading, especially the classics written by different authors from various countries. My favourite book is, without doubt, “War and Peace” by Count Tolstoy.

As for other hobbies, I am head over hills in love with Math, and that probably means that it’ll be my uni major, but, who knows..

Glad to be a part of this forum, guys!

3 hours ago, dolly said:

Hello to everyone:)

I’m Dolly, nearly through a half of my junior year at high school.

I definitely enjoy reading, especially the classics written by different authors from various countries. My favourite book is, without doubt, “War and Peace” by Count Tolstoy.

As for other hobbies, I am head over hills in love with Math, and that probably means that it’ll be my uni major, but, who knows..

Glad to be a part of this forum, guys!

Hi Dolly - welcome to the Forum. 

I too am a big fan of War and Peace. Have you read any other books by Tolstoy? He is probably one of my favourite writers - I find he is particularly good at character development and plot. I think I have a bit of a soft spot for Russian writers.

I look forward to seeing you around the Forum. :) 

28 minutes ago, Angury said:

Hi Dolly - welcome to the Forum. 

I too am a big fan of War and Peace. Have you read any other books by Tolstoy? He is probably one of my favourite writers - I find he is particularly good at character development and plot. I think I have a bit of a soft spot for Russian writers.

I look forward to seeing you around the Forum. :) 

Hi Angury!

So far I have read his “Anna Karenina” (my second favourite), “Resurrection”, “Hadji Murad”, “Childhood”, “Boyhood” and “Youth”. What about you?

I utterly agree with your words about his writing talent. Personally, I also enjoy the way he includes a lot of philosophy into the stories.

What other Russian books have you read?

7 hours ago, poppy said:

Hi Dolly, and a big welcome from me too :)

Thank you, Poppy!

The quote you use in your messages has led me to a lot of brain-racking:)

17 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

HI Dolly and welcome!

Hi Madeleine,

Thanks for the welcome:) Glad to be here!

16 hours ago, dolly said:

Thank you, Poppy!

The quote you use in your messages has led me to a lot of brain-racking:)

Do you wonder the same thing? :giggle2:

On 12/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, dolly said:

Hi Angury!

So far I have read his “Anna Karenina” (my second favourite), “Resurrection”, “Hadji Murad”, “Childhood”, “Boyhood” and “Youth”. What about you?

I utterly agree with your words about his writing talent. Personally, I also enjoy the way he includes a lot of philosophy into the stories.

What other Russian books have you read?

I've read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich - which is probably my favourite work by Tolstoy.

I've read two of Dostoevsky's works - The Brothers Karamazov & Notes from the Underground and have The Idiot on my to-read list. 

My all-time favourite author is Vladimir Nabokov - when I read his writing I feel like I'm watching genius at work. Have you read anything by him? 

16 hours ago, Athena said:

Welcome here :)!

Thank you, Athena!

Your nickname is amazing:) Are you keen on mythology or is it just a nickname?

Or is it your actual name?

Edited by dolly

6 hours ago, Angury said:

I've read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich - which is probably my favourite work by Tolstoy.

I've read two of Dostoevsky's works - The Brothers Karamazov & Notes from the Underground and have The Idiot on my to-read list. 

My all-time favourite author is Vladimir Nabokov - when I read his writing I feel like I'm watching genius at work. Have you read anything by him? 

Hopefully, I’ll read something by Nabokov one day, but I haven’t got around to that yet. What exactly would you suggest?

As for Dostoevsky, it’s just the reverse with me: I’ve read “The Idiot” and have both “The Brothers Karamazov” and “Notes from the Underground” on my to-read list:readingtwo:

4 hours ago, dolly said:

Thank you, Athena!

Your nickname is amazing:) Are you keen on mythology or is it just a nickname?

Or is it your actual name?

Thank you! Athena is not my actual name. My actual name is Gaia, which is also from Greek mythology. Gaia is often not available as a name online (often already taken), so I picked Athena as a nickname :). I do like mythology!

On 05.12.2018 at 10:41 AM, Athena said:

Thank you! Athena is not my actual name. My actual name is Gaia, which is also from Greek mythology. Gaia is often not available as a name online (often already taken), so I picked Athena as a nickname :). I do like mythology!

It’s a trifle surprising, as I would have thought Athena to be a more popular nickname than Gaia, but, you never know:)

These two names make up an interesting combination due to their meanings!

Does Greek mythology especially appeal to you, or is it a multicultural interest?

1 hour ago, dolly said:

It’s a trifle surprising, as I would have thought Athena to be a more popular nickname than Gaia, but, you never know:)

These two names make up an interesting combination due to their meanings!

Does Greek mythology especially appeal to you, or is it a multicultural interest?

Greek mythology is a particular favourite of mine, but I am interested in other mythologies as well :). Though history was never my best subject in school, I do find mythology of multiple-gods religions (ie. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans) quite interesting.

P.S. I like your avatar :).

On 06.12.2018 at 3:05 PM, Athena said:

Greek mythology is a particular favourite of mine, but I am interested in other mythologies as well :). Though history was never my best subject in school, I do find mythology of multiple-gods religions (ie. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans) quite interesting.

P.S. I like your avatar :).

Thank you:blush:

Could you recommend something to read on the subject of Greek/Roman mythology?

1 hour ago, dolly said:

Could you recommend something to read on the subject of Greek/Roman mythology?

I'm sorry, most of the books I read when I was a teenager (it was then that I really read a lot of books on the subject), were in Dutch, and they were library copies so I don't really remember much of authors or titles. Two that I remember (and bought my own copies of later on) are Mythen en sagen van de Griekse wereld by Sophie Ramondt, and Oude oosterse verhalen by Dr. Onno Damsté (but I don't know if either one of these authors are available in English).

I'm not really sure of English experts on the subject! I'm from the Netherlands and when I was a teenager I didn't really read books in English much yet. I was taught Greek and Latin at my high school, so those lessons are also partly of where I learnt about mythology.