New Year's

New Year's is actually one of my least favourite holidays, but great idea for a thread :)! The fireworks in this area are always incredibly noisy. Officially people are allowed to use them only between specific times (I believe 18:00 31 December until 02:00 1 January), but many people do not adhere to that and instead it is noisy all day long and also in the days and weeks leading up to New Year's (there have already been fireworks now and then in October and November). My dog and my chicken get very stressed from the noisy fireworks and so do I (it'll be the first NY without our second dog, who passed away in September :(). With the thatch roof of this place, my parents always have to be careful and stay up late to make sure no one's firework ends up on the roof. I don't like staying up late, but New Year's is the one day of the year that I'll stay up. It's too noisy to sleep earlier on anyway. I usually feel pretty groggy on New Year's Day because my biorythym wakes me up early even if I went to bed late.

What I do like about New Year's is eating pastry with my family and saying Happy New Year to them, and sometimes watching the fireworks outside at midnight  (watching, not listening to. I sometimes have to put my hands to my ears). I've had nice NYE's and also less nice ones. Sometimes in the past we watched a movie leading up to midnight and I have fond memories of that. Last year I was not feeling well and it wasn't a good experience really, I went inside pretty quickly after midnight because the noise was just too much (I should point out that I am extremely sensitive to sounds).

I don't usually think about my New Year's plans until after Christmas. Not sure if anything special will happen this year, I think I'll just be glad when it's over heh.

What do you plan to do for New Year's?

I'm pretty much the same as you re New Year's, Athena - I don't really like it and always have a sense of anti-climax, I usually watch a bit of TV, go to bed around 11.30 and read for a bit.  The fireworks are also deafening, like you they're meant to be limited but we get them both before and after Guy Fawkes (5th November), then we have a lot for Diwali which was 7th November this year, and then random ones on many nights, especially at the weekend, pretty much until New Year, sometimes even during the day (why, it's not like you can see them!). 

Our dog used to get very scared of the noise until she went deaf.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:56 AM, Madeleine said:

I'm pretty much the same as you re New Year's, Athena - I don't really like it and always have a sense of anti-climax, I usually watch a bit of TV, go to bed around 11.30 and read for a bit. 

I agree, New Year's Eve is an anti climax. I prefer to stay at home, pig out on chocolates and have a couple of glasses of bubbly in front of the tv.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:35 PM, karen.d said:

I agree, New Year's Eve is an anti climax. I prefer to stay at home, pig out on chocolates and have a couple of glasses of bubbly in front of the tv.

:lol: This sums up how we prefer to spend New Years. We are lucky if we manage to stay up till midnight though. :lol:

I very rarely go anywhere for New Year's Eve, although I do go outside at midnight to watch the fireworks and wish my neighbours (who usually come outside then too) a happy New Year.  At the moment I have a really bad head cold, so I've been curled up in pyjamas since about 2 in the afternoon. Hopefully I'll actually manage to stay awake until midnight! 

I wish everyone here a very happy New Year though, preferably one filled with lots of good books! :hny:

Well we had fireworks from just after 6.00 in the evening, off and on, with the eventual NYE fireworks going on til 1.30.  Went to a friend's but left at around 11.15, was reading in bed when the New Year came in.  Did watch a few of the fireworks that were going off opposite.

Yesterday was much quieter, went for a nice walk in the morning with my walking group which blew a few cobwebs away, then came home, did some food shopping and then went out for a local pub meal with my mum.

Happy New Year everyone!