Recommendations for me.

That's a huge range to cover!  Maybe you could tell us the sorts of books you're interested in?  In the meantime, if you want to see a list of books I love, then I keep a list of all-time favourites (earned 6 out of 6 stars), fiction and non-fiction, at the front of my book blog thread, here.  But I'd be happy to be more specific with a few indicators.

Edited by willoyd

9 hours ago, willoyd said:

That's a huge range to cover!  Maybe you could tell us the sorts of books you're interested in?  In the meantime, if you want to see a list of books I love, then I keep a list of all-time favourites (earned 6 out of 6 stars), fiction and non-fiction, at the front of my book blog thread, here.  But I'd be happy to be more specific with a few indicators.

Teehee.  I know, Willoyd, I'm just greedy.  I suppose just the top 10 that people have loved would be a good starting place, but any random thoughts that come to mind help.  I'll go and read your blog thread list and thank you very much for answering me.

Just now, claudibee said:

Teehee.  I know, Willoyd, I'm just greedy.  I suppose just the top 10 that people have loved would be a good starting place, but any random thoughts that come to mind help.  I'll go and read your blog thread list and thank you very much for answering me.

9 hours ago, willoyd said:

Wow, Willoyd!  I've just clicked on that and seen hundreds of titles so I don't think I'd ever need another list!  I must see how many I've read from your huge range :)

A good place to start if you are interesting in more literary books, both modern and classics is the ‘1001 books to read before you die’. There is thread in the reading challenges sub forum and the list is easily found with google if you don’t want to buy the book.

On 14/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, Brian. said:

A good place to start if you are interesting in more literary books, both modern and classics is the ‘1001 books to read before you die’.

Good idea, although I've found (and it's very personal!) that I prefer the books listed in 1000 Books To Read Before You Die (similar title, but decidedly different to 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die), maybe because it isn't quite so literary?  There's a website with all the books listed (at 1000BooksToRead.com), just be warned that about half of the list is non-fiction (which actually improves the list in my eyes, but others would disagree).  Slightly more accessible perhaps are two rather shorter, but in some way even more interesting, books of lists:  Robert McCrum's The 100 Best Novels in English (based on a series he wrote in the Guardian; I think the list is available tucked away on its website, but it's also available on my blog thread), and its counterpart Boyd Tonkins's The 100 Best Novels in Translation (which will also probably land up there, but not just yet).

On 14/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, Brian. said:

A good place to start if you are interesting in more literary books, both modern and classics is the ‘1001 books to read before you die’. There is thread in the reading challenges sub forum and the list is easily found with google if you don’t want to buy the book.

Thank you, Brian.  I love a list and a pile, although this does tend to be a understating the case.  Lists and piles everywhere is a more accurate description.  I've got the book '1001 books to read before you die' but if the lists are different I'm a happy woman.

On 16/11/2018 at 8:31 PM, willoyd said:

Good idea, although I've found (and it's very personal!) that I prefer the books listed in 1000 Books To Read Before You Die (similar title, but decidedly different to 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die), maybe because it isn't quite so literary?  There's a website with all the books listed (at 1000BooksToRead.com), just be warned that about half of the list is non-fiction (which actually improves the list in my eyes, but others would disagree).  Slightly more accessible perhaps are two rather shorter, but in some way even more interesting, books of lists:  Robert McCrum's The 100 Best Novels in English (based on a series he wrote in the Guardian; I think the list is available tucked away on its website, but it's also available on my blog thread), and its counterpart Boyd Tonkins's The 100 Best Novels in Translation (which will also probably land up there, but not just yet).

More!!  I don't think I'll be reading books, just lists of books.  Marvellous, specially as it's cold outside.

• 2 months later...