Busy reading

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 11:54 AM, Busy_Bee said:

36th this year is the re-reading of "The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society".

It's not every day (or better say every book) that I want to read something again. On the top of my most read books is"Pride and prejudice". And it was lonely there before "The ... society".

Of course I was reminded of this epistolar novel by the film, which I loved by the way.

There is something peculiar about reading books in forms of letters,I find myself even closer to the character than with the 1st-face naration, don't know why.  Same admiration was for the "84, Charing Cross Road".

And I liked to see the differences and a particular choice of topics even with the closest friends in he letters - love-matters to a feemale friend, troubles and worries to a male-friend. And the whole business of writing letters seems to be so intimate, so uniting even for the people countries apart that I can't help admiring the genre. Perhaps it's just that I live in the days when people around think letters (even email) to be obsolete and unnecessary.

All in all, I loved the topic, the characters I believed them and in them.

Letters... Is the most important writes (I think) because you write as you really are. I like write letters, better I love write love's letters. I always mix my feelings with music, poetry, literature, films, paintings and other things, looking for a better draw of my world I remember have read "Kafka's letters to Milena", but you know, Kafka was unique and his pain was too hard for me and I couldn't finish it (I'm thinking in a topic to discuss: "Books never finished, why?"). Around 10 years before I read "The sorrows of young Werther" by Goethe speaking about love pain too. There are another books with letter or emails exchanges but without particulary reminds. When I sow the film "The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society" (I  haven't the book) for first time some months ago I received a new tank of fresh air. Let's me tell you something: I live in Cuba speaking spanish, so far away of Europe in distance and different culture, but I have a great TV, because it show me the most important films of Great Britain (I think) and I follow these films. There is another wonderful film about letter exchanges between man and woman (84 Charing...?, I'm not sure, I can't remember well). Letters were important for me when my girlfriend was far from me. Even today I keep them.    

20 hours ago, Luis said:

I always mix my feelings with music, poetry, literature, films, paintings and other things

I do this as well, I have this little hobby of making posts or scribbles in my notebook writing down paintings, music and poetry I find beautifully mixing together.

For example I've got this page containing of "The sensetive plant" by Percy Bysshe Shelley + Buckethead and Viggo Mortensen - Sunrise + illustrations by Charles Robinson.

Or illustrations by Anton Pieck and music by Carl Nielsen.

It's a great way to create a whole story by finding the right picture and the right music and poem. 

And, yes, letters are great.

Edited by Busy_Bee