Busy reading

On 04.02.2019 at 3:53 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

I've not read any of his short stories but I I enjoyed the TV series.

Always promising myself to watch all the TV series and screen adaptations of the books I've read (Electric dreams, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, Gone with the wind, Blade runnner). Still none of them have been watched.:giggle2:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7th  -From the other side (Bernard Werber).

When I was 15 or 16 I really enjoyed the "Angels" and the "Gods" cycles. Really liked his Universe and ideas, but this was so long ago so I've decided to find out if I still love Werber's style.

Well, the answer is clearly "Yes". Although when I was a teenager the books seemed(for my inexperienced mind) to be the essence of wisdom and originality at the same time and now I've just had a good time reading a book about something grim written in a light and humouristic way.

Not that I'd add it to the list of my favorites, but it  amused me for the time.

And now I'm finally reading Mort, I've switched back to e-book from paper ones, so need a bit of time to get used to the screen.

8th - Mort

Well, I did enjoy it! It was fun, easy reading. Waking the desire to immerse into the Pratchett's Discwolrd even more.

9th - A man called Ove by Frederik Backman

Moving, touching, striking the chord. I liked it immensely. Cannot even count how may times I've felt tears running down my cheeks while reading it. Such a bleak existence that the main charcater leads and still so much space for kindness, friendship and empathy in it (even when he tries to hide from everyone and gives them hell). I'll rememeber this book with a great warmth, because everyone has a bit of Ove or Sonia inside and that's wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

10th - Outsider by Stephen King

That was great. Creepy, tense and gripping. it was a bit darker than I am used to, a little less of the supernatural in it  and focused on the psychological side of the story (characters' behaviour, thoughts, doubts and worries), but I liked it just the same.

• 1 month later...

11th and 12th are 2 volumes of "Les Misérables" by Victor Hugo.

I've got this habit of watching promos of some TV series or films, find out that there is a book (or couple of them) and decide to watch these things after reading. Guess what, after reading I never actually watch anything. Same with the LM. I saw trailer of the TV series with Lily Collins as Fantine and thought that the time has come to read the book. I did it and never ever shall I say that I regret that I've spent almost whole March on it. it is sooo powerful, beautiful, crawling under my skin, into my consciousness, enriching my understanding of the world, of people and, of course, French revolution.

Besides, where else could I find such entertaining description of the Paris' sewage system? What else could make me think of  people who build, fix or clean them? Not the smallest chapter or detail in the description of the characters' lives seems insighificant. 

The characters are so vivid, so real that I feel as if I've met them the other day on my way from work. Looked into wise and sad eyes of Jean Valjean on the bus stop, took a stroll in silence with Monseigneur Bienvenu, listened to the passionate "ABC" club's discussions in the local pub.

This book is in my list of favourites.

P.S. Although, I know Cosette represents the chastity, innocence and beauty of the world, but as a character she became the most unnoticeable one, such a pity.

P.S. #2 I'll try to find time to watch the film and/or TV series.

13th   - "Good omens" by Terry Ptatchett and Neil Gaiman.

Again, the bits of information I've picked about the upcoming TV series brought me to the book.

Ooooh, it's so delicious! I  find that the passages that make me laugh inwardly or lines that contain such deep, hidden irony or satire (that I need to re-read them several time to fully grasp the idea of it)  are extremely rare and thus precious to me.  And this book is full of such. I liked every bit of it and am looking forward to see the charcters on the screen (love for David Tennant will make sure that I watch it).

• 2 weeks later...

14th - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Honestly, it wasn't my cup of tea at all. I read it because I wanted to finish it. The language is great, descriptions are sincere and so lively that I could feel myself surrounded by the atmosphere of a little French town. But the plot, the characters, oohh... Balzac all over again, when I knew the story is powerful and honest, but couldn't make myself enjoy it.  

Great reviews! I went to see Les Misérables in the theatre with my school and have wanted to read it ever since, it's one of those books I just never got round to. Your review has made me really want to read it again though!

You've also made me want to re-read Good Omens. Terry Pratchett with Neil Gaiman was always going to be a winning combination!

• 2 weeks later...

15th - Where'd you go, Bernadette?  by Maria Semple

I enjoyed it, it was easy to read, it was witty and funny. Absolutely in love with the epistolary novels  (as I have mentioned many times). Liked the caricature of the school mums (working at school I wonder sometimes what's going on inside their "club" when I'm not around:giggle2: ). And I totally enjoyed the plot itself, it happens while reading that one cannot believe such things take place in real life or that such eccentric and complex characters as Bernadette actually exist as every day one sees people that are showing their  personalities that are accepted and expected by the society. So it's great to be reminded that all people have something peculiar about them and who knows what an interesting and deep person your colleague or neighbour might be;)

Edited by Busy_Bee

16th - The man who laughs by Victor Hugo

Well. 

I liked it a bit less than the LM, but I know that Hugo is definitely my kind of author. Though I read the books in translation, I believe his style and language be the thing easy to read and feel. The characters, again, so well-written, there are so many layers of their true selves, the decisions, feelings are unfolding in front of  you that it's not difficult to understand, accept and forgive them for being just humans, strong or weak, spiritual or godless, beautiful or utterly monstrous inside. You just understand. Of course, you worry a lot about the future of your favourites and wish ill to all the evil plans of their enemies, but you can also see through them, see their origin, how they've become what they are and that's absolutely great, when a character is not given to you as a ready-made villain or hero, but rises (or falls) in front of you.

Edited by Busy_Bee

I've been meaning to read Les Miserables for some time.  Even my son has raved about it.  Must, must, must get round to doing so!  Thanks for the reminder!

Madame Bovary....hmmm.....  When I read it, back in 2012, I was one of only a few here who'd enjoyed it, although I think 'enjoyed' was probably the wrong word.  At the time, I wrote (slightly abridged):

I found Madame Bovary fascinating, but I can see why others might not. I suspect a prime reason is that there are no really likeable characters, least of all Emma Bovary herself  - there are plenty of villains in this piece, especially those prepared to take advantage of Emma's weaknesses. Not surprising, really, as I don't think Flaubert had much time for the bourgeoisie. I struggled to even believe in her character some of the time - could anybody be quite so self-centred and uncaring of those around her, quite so self-deluding, with such an excess of romanticism? But I think that's the point: Flaubert is contrasting her excessive romanticism with the mundanity of provincial life, emphasised by his detailed descriptions, most of which focus on the very ordinary (jam making for instance!). Having said that, I've got a real penchant for well developed settings, and Flaubert certainly works on those, so straightaway I'm probably on-side! This is a book that grew on me, resulting in my being absolutely gripped on a train journey finishing the last quarter or so. Not quite a full six star read - some of the writing is just a bit OTT and there's still that element of Emma not being quite believable enough at times - but a book that made me think long and hard, and one that will certainly live with me for some time.

(And as for Ove?  Hated that - one star!  Can't agree on everything I suppose!)

Edited by willoyd

On 14.05.2019 at 12:06 AM, willoyd said:

Madame Bovary....hmmm.....  When I read it, back in 2012, I was one of only a few here who'd enjoyed it, although I think 'enjoyed' was probably the wrong word.  At the time, I wrote (slightly abridged):

I agree with every thought from this review! Controversial feelings about the book that is a great example of the French literature and depicts such disagreeable characters at the same time.

Edited by Busy_Bee

• 3 weeks later...

17th  I capture the castle by Dodie Smith.

When I decide to read something by the author I have never encountered before, I usually read some reviews because a non-spoiler review gives a better image of the plot than abstracts on the cover. And this book has almost started a "war" on some websites. So many one-star reviews, so many 4-5-star reviews. I couldn't resist reading it, of course.

Remember my theory that the season, weather, reader's mood and million of other tiny circumstantial factors influence the way we read the book, the way we see characters and the plot and even embrace the length of the work of fiction?

In my case the book had an ideal timing and an ideal me (as a reader). I liked its warm, sunlit, cozy atmosphere. I like peculiar characters, even though if I met them in real life I'd probably think that some of their actions are unacceptable in real life or signs of being soft in the head (such a bliss they live in the book so I can like them as much as I want). I didn't regret reading "I capture the castle", I felt my time was pleasantly spent.

19th   -  Italian Journey by Goethe

I have difficult relationships with Goethe.  I've been reading "Fasust" for several years, we had on and off romance. In the end I made myself finish it because I felt extremely guilty in front of the shabby book I'd grown to use for reading fortunes on (form a question, choose a line number, open a book on any page, count the lines and voilà, you have the answer, sometimes too weird to understand). I didn't enjoy the story and we had to part in a civil but cold way.

Nevertheless, the "Italian Journey" I liked at once. It represents a sort of diary and letters from Goethe's travels in 1786-1788. Despite his passionate passages about rocks and clouds thet scared me a little bit,  I've totally dived into the descriptions of Italian life. I don't know whether I liked this book because I liked Italy or because Goethe and I've finally still have a chance to be friends and I will appreciate his world view. I felt his desire to create and learn and that was really catching.  It motivated me to find out more about art and literature, encouraged me not to give up studying Italian though I don't really know if I will ever have an opportunity to go there. 

And though I'm still not sure about Goethe as "my" writer or "my" type of a human-being, I definitely enjoyed Italy through his eyes.

13 hours ago, Busy_Bee said:

17th  I capture the castle by Dodie Smith.

When I decide to read something by the author I have never encountered before, I usually read some reviews because a non-spoiler review gives a better image of the plot than abstracts on the cover. And this book has almost started a "war" on some websites. So many one-star reviews, so many 4-5-star reviews. I couldn't resist reading it, of course.

Remember my theory that the season, weather, reader's mood and million of other tiny circumstantial factors influence the way we read the book, the way we see characters and the plot and even embrace the length of the work of fiction?

In my case the book had an ideal timing and an ideal me (as a reader). I liked its warm, sunlit, cozy atmosphere. I like peculiar characters, even though if I met them in real life I'd probably think that some of their actions are unacceptable in real life or signs of being soft in the head (such a bliss they live in the book so I can like them as much as I want). I didn't regret reading "I capture the castle", I felt my time was pleasantly spent.

Loved this book and the movie was wonderful, especially remember performances by Bill Nighy and Tara Fitzgerald.

I went on to read a biography about her, Dear Dodie: The Life of Dodie Smith by Valerie Grove.

7 hours ago, poppy said:

Loved this book and the movie was wonderful, especially remember performances by Bill Nighy and Tara Fitzgerald.

I went on to read a biography about her, Dear Dodie: The Life of Dodie Smith by Valerie Grove.

I love Bill Nighy, have just seen Their finest (2016) with him and remembered that I LOVED Bookshop  (2017) and About time (2013) and... and... can't stop:rolol: 

Seems that I've got a film to watch tonight:D

On 6/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, Busy_Bee said:

18th - Can you keep a secret?  by Sophie Kinsella.

This was my one-day reading, fast, amusing and not really momorable. But I've enjoyed it, it raised my spirits for a bit and I even giggled couple of times.

I enjoyed this one too :).

22 hours ago, Busy_Bee said:

I love Bill Nighy, have just seen Their finest (2016) with him and remembered that I LOVED Bookshop  (2017) and About time (2013) and... and... can't stop:rolol: 

Seems that I've got a film to watch tonight:D

Isn't he adorable!! I haven't seen any of those so must look them out. He was so funny in Love Actually :lol: