Busy reading

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I haven't read Wind in the Willows in a long time (since I was a child). I must re-read it at some point. 

It's so pleasant sometimes to read something that reminds you about a particular period in your life, plus a great opportunity to revalue the story and open up so many nuances that weren't noticed. I experienced the benefit of it when I re-read the Lermontov's  A hero of our time I have finally understood the hero and the motives, something I wasn't able to do when I was 13.

2nd  The end of the sky by Sandi Toksvig

The book is amazing! Now I want to be an adventurer riding a horse through the great prairies or at least to be a humble cowboy (or cowgirl)^_^ For me, it is like The grapes of wrath but kind of a much lighter version despite of the equally hard, sorrowful and desperate times for the heroes. In this book I aslo see so much hope and joy and life and kindness that I'd advise it to anyone who is feeling a bit down. And now I know that I definitely like adventure stories (and should read more of them) even with the deus ex machina from time to time because it's the way it should be, a legend that inspires people, so a bit of drama with a miraculous end wouldn't hurt;) The Hannigans were pictured so vividly in my imagination that now I find it hard not to refer to them as real people, they are all so warm, kind and compassionate, they show such will to live and to protect each other, in many ways they are an example to follow.

I have been to the end of the earth,

I have been to the end of the waters,

I have been to the end of the sky.

I have been to the end of the mountains,

I have found none that are not my friends.

Navajo proverb

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, Busy_Bee said:

Happy new reading year to everyone!

1st - Wind in the willows

I wish we all were and had such amazing friends as the Badger, Moal and Water Rat were to blithe Mr Toad.

Admired introduction by Alan Milne.

I've been meaning to read this for such a long time. I don't remember much about it from my childhood but I do remember all of the characters, which probably says a lot about how brilliant and distinctive they are!

I'm a bit late but happy reading for 2019! :) 

On ‎2‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 1:34 AM, Busy_Bee said:

1st - Wind in the willows

I wish we all were and had such amazing friends as the Badger, Moal and Water Rat were to blithe Mr Toad.

Admired introduction by Alan Milne.

Aren't they such wonderful characters? One of my favourite books :)

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 3:09 AM, Busy_Bee said:

3d - Diary of piligrimage by Jerome K. Jerome.

Again travelling and hilarious adventures, I liked the satire on travellers and their habits.

I've read and very much enjoyed Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel. A great humourist.

9 hours ago, poppy said:

I've read and very much enjoyed Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel. A great humourist.

Indeed, he is! I was glad to discover more of his books as I tend to read those that appear in different list  (especially when I'm in a reading slump) and only Three Men in  a Boat was seen everywhere, but I stumbled upon a publishing house with entirely unknown works (his and other author's) and finally was "forced" to enjoy some more of  witticisms:D

4th - The girl who read on the metro (???)Christin Feret -Fleury

This is a French book so I'm not sure if the title is correct (I found this one on Amazon).

It's funny in an akward sort of way. I blame the translation as the logic was totally missing in some places and I had to read one paragraph three times in a row to understand  why were the characters laughing so hard (with tears rolling down their faces) and I didn't succeed. Some expressions and phrases were odd and the translator made a peculiar choice of words.

I think it was meant to be  "Amelie"-ish and some parts (though short) were really good, but all in all, everything seemed to me a bit unrealistic and far-fetched.

But as this book is about the young woman who liked books there was a long list of literature in it that might be useful for me one day.

1 hour ago, Busy_Bee said:

I'm curently reading Susanna Clarke "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell" (on p.65 out of 1006) and I really like it.

It's a massive novel, but very enjoyable! I personally couldn't put it down, which I found odd at the time because I'm not one for fantasy much... Enjoy! :smile2:

I hope you have a great reading year! :smile2:

19 hours ago, Busy_Bee said:

"A wizard is never late , nor is he early,  he arrives precisely when he means to"^_^

I need a ‘like’ button for this :lol:

I have Jonathan Strange and Mr  Norell on my shelf too, so glad to hear you’re enjoying it! The length has led to me putting it off a bit, it’s not the kind of book you can pop into your bag! 

On 08/01/2019 at 7:07 AM, Busy_Bee said:

2nd  The end of the sky by Sandi Toksvig

The book is amazing! Now I want to be an adventurer riding a horse through the great prairies or at least to be a humble cowboy (or cowgirl)^_^ For me, it is like The grapes of wrath but kind of a much lighter version despite of the equally hard, sorrowful and desperate times for the heroes. In this book I aslo see so much hope and joy and life and kindness that I'd advise it to anyone who is feeling a bit down. And now I know that I definitely like adventure stories (and should read more of them) even with the deus ex machina from time to time because it's the way it should be, a legend that inspires people, so a bit of drama with a miraculous end wouldn't hurt;) The Hannigans were pictured so vividly in my imagination that now I find it hard not to refer to them as real people, they are all so warm, kind and compassionate, they show such will to live and to protect each other, in many ways they are an example to follow.

I have been to the end of the earth,

I have been to the end of the waters,

I have been to the end of the sky.

I have been to the end of the mountains,

I have found none that are not my friends.

Navajo proverb

Hi Busy_Bee. I didn't know Sandi Toksvig had written novels. This sounds just right up my street actually. Great review!

I've neglected my writing for a period, couldn't get myself to switch on the laptop. But now I'm ready to report:D

5th - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

All the praises I've heard about this book turned out to be truthful indeed, I liked this book and for 2 weeks I've been living inside it. I liked the slow bits that dragged me into the atmosphere of 19th century Britain and helped to unravel the essence of the British magic.Sometimes I even thought it to be a real historical book (so many footnotes :)).  And I was more than satisfied with the last part of the book that added the sense of an epic battle between and within the characters. I also enjoyed noticing that all the heroes have their own flaws and nobody's absolutely blameless (though you have favourites in spite of this or even thanks to this anyway), at first you desire them to be all chivalrous and "practically perfect in every way", but then you realize seeing them with shortcomings we all may have is much better.

6th  - Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

A collection of stories that became a basis for the TV series. As I like and love and adore and worship Bradbury (I've read almost everything I could have found on paper and on the Net), I try to find same themes (space travel, machines, aliens) in other books and Philip K. Dick's are certainly ones I'd love to read. From the Do androids dream of electric sheep I fell in love with his style and now I'm very fond of these short stories as well.

I haven't read any short stories either but I have Minority Report (and some other stories) in a bindup on my TBR (I liked the Minority Report film). I really liked Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I also liked A Scanner Darkly and Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said.

I've never read anything by Philip K. Dick but feel like I really need to. Do you think Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? would be a good place to start? 

You've given me new motivation to pick up Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, great review :) 

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

I've never read anything by Philip K. Dick but feel like I really need to. Do you think Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? would be a good place to start?

I'm not sure if you're asking me or Bee or Andrea or all of us, but just in case, I think it's a good place to start, yes :). It was the first Philip K. Dick book I read, and I feel it's not as "weird" as the other 2 Philip K. Dick books I've read (if that makes sense?).

On 08.02.2019 at 9:35 PM, Hayley said:

Certainly!  This book will create a whole new world in your mind, so it's better to start with it and then, if the idea sinks in, continue reading other works of Ph. K. Dick:)