Christmas Holiday 2018

HEY Y'ALL!!!!!!!:wub:

Boy have I missed you guys!! What a great early Christmas present, hey?! After the hellish week my family just went through, I'm snatching my blessings and counting them one by one!

This will be the first time in a few years that most of the family will be in one spot so we can have a lovely family holiday. This year is truly filled with thanksgiving and gratitude. Those on my friends list know why Im feeling especially thankful!

I went out today and picked up some glitter and letters for the grands new Christmas stockings. I want to make these more of an heirloom so I decided to start them earlier (for me) than usual. I'm also working on the menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'll have to come back and update you on that.

What are you guys planning this season?

Same-old, same-old, this side.  The gift shopping's mostly done.  Just need to pick up a couple of bottles of liqueur/brandy, and that's that.  The decorations will go up at the beginning of December.  My menu this year will be identical to last year: a veggie meatball feast on Christmas Eve, and my special fancy veggie nut roast with all the trimmings on Christmas Day.  I'll probably be baking a chocolate cake at some point.  Nothing innovative, but it's all tasty!  :D 

My whole family will head to my sister's house for Christmas dinner on Christmas eve. Christmas day will be a relaxed day at home for me and my wife probably still digesting the food from the day before. I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet so I really should get my butt in gear and get started.

I have no idea to be honest what we will be doing, as I honestly haven't thought that far ahead. I have booked Christmas Eve off from work but have to go in on 27th and 28th. We are heading off to Glastonbury for 2 nights on 29th and 30th, so I also have New Years Eve for the drive back. I expect it will be a quiet one at home for the 2 of us though with a visit to Corans sister and Mum at some point either before or after. 

Nothing planned at  the moment, will have to see about time off work, funnily enough no one's mentioned it yet although people are starting to put in for leave.  I have bought my first present though so will try to get some more now.  Have a few ideas!

I'm working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve & New Years Day this year. I'm actually really happy for about this because 

1. I don't do anything for Christmas or New Years Eve so I'd rather be working than sitting at home doing nothing.

2. I'm really interested to see what sort of things turn up to the hospital during these bank holidays.

Should be exciting!

I have done my fair share of Christmas/New Year working too in the past and while I was rewarded quite well for it, I am glad I don't have to do that anymore. I guess working in a hospital at that time you are likely to get some interesting cases though to keep you on your toes! I am not sure I would call it exciting though - interesting perhaps!  

• 2 weeks later...

My decorations go up today!  Anyone else's too?  The gift wrapping gets done tomorrow.  I've still the housework to do before any of that, though, and then the dust will have a full month to collect between all of the tinsel and string lights... 

Now I can legitimately start watching Christmas films and listening to music without feeling odd about it.  :D

I put my tree up on Saturday - managed to drop a box of baubles and broke four - and got batteries yesterday for a few little fibre optic figures which brighten it up a bit, wrote my few cards which need posting, and am almost done present shopping.

There's a tradition in our rural valley of decorating our letterboxes at Christmastime. I always go out there, armed to the teeth with tinsel and solar Christmas lights (cars regularly slow down at night ... I suspect they think it's a police car's flashing lights) with the aim of making an artistic impression. It ends up looking like a hyperactive three year old's decorating attempt on a particularly manic day. Bits of tape used to hold things in place give up the ghost and tinsel decorates the fence instead and my live holly browns to a crisp in the hot sun.

It's all very disheartening, and I imagine the judges comment on mine is something like, 'Could do better.'

what-a-mess1.jpg

Edited by poppy

No decorations up yet. Husband is away for work, so will wait until he is home. We don't do much decor wise, although we lots and lots of lights, as husband has developed a habit of buying them when they are on sale after each Christmas.

We are at home this year, dropping in on relatives for coffee and mince pies, but spending most of the day just the two of us. 

We are all done with our decorating.....both outside and inside. IMHO, I think it looks nice. :P

We got back from Disneyworld a couple weeks ago and their decorations were spectacular. The Grand Floridian Resort Lodge was just breathtaking. I really thought that I was in a movie setting. They had a huge Christmas tree plus a real gingerbread house that was out of this world. On top of this on the second floor balcony there was a large orchestra playing Christmas music.

Edited by muggle not

The house is as decorated as it will be. I still have to work on the kids stockings and I have all the food needed for Christmas dinner, all except the milk, cream and butter. As we're helping the kids with the grands Christmas gifts we won't be doing much shopping but that's no biggie as we really don't believe in doing a bunch of presents anyway. We do plan to take the kids out to look at the decorations and to pick the tackiest one of the season, lol! There are also a couple of Christmas shows we'd like to catch. Quiet celebrations with lots of food. My kind of holiday!

Our tree is finally up and I've managed to buy a few presents. I have a Christmas dinner with my boyfriend's family on Christmas eve, then one with my own family on Christmas day, and then a third one on boxing day with just a few people. So I might have exploded by the 27th.

@muggle not the Disneyworld decorations sound amazing, I bet you felt incredibly festive after all that! 

@poppy I love the letterbox idea. It's a shame your holly doesn't last in the sun. On the positive side, at least you're warm! 

5 hours ago, Hayley said:

Our tree is finally up and I've managed to buy a few presents. I have a Christmas dinner with my boyfriend's family on Christmas eve, then one with my own family on Christmas day, and then a third one on boxing day with just a few people. So I might have exploded by the 27th.

@muggle not the Disneyworld decorations sound amazing, I bet you felt incredibly festive after all that! 

@poppy I love the letterbox idea. It's a shame your holly doesn't last in the sun. On the positive side, at least you're warm! 

A photo of the orchestra playing Christmas music and a photo of the huge gingerbread house (actually made of gingerbread).

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Hayley said:

Wow, Hayley, that's quite a marathon! You'll need to do the trick we did as children, when we'd eaten too much at Christmas and lie down with a pillow on your tummy :giggle2:  Boxing day is always leftovers here, it's the one day of the year I refuse to do any cooking (apart from heating a few things up).

Well, this year the weather doesn't know what it's doing. We went from 33 point something C one day to a high of 15C a  couple of days later. I even got the fire going one day as we had an elderly relative visiting. And we've had oodles of rain. The holly would probably be sprouting by now if I'd used it this year! :mrgreen:

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, muggle not said:

A photo of the orchestra playing Christmas music and a photo of the huge gingerbread house (actually made of gingerbread).

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

That's amazing, Muggles! An absolute work of art. No wonder they have it roped off or little fingers would be tempted to have a wee sample.

I'd love to know everyone's menus for the 25th.  Here's mine:

Vegan nut roast (homemade)

Mashed potatoes

Mashed carrot & swede

Broccoli

Brussels sprouts

Savoy cabbage

Cauliflower

Veggie gravy

And for dessert: fresh-baked chocolate cake, with soy ice-cream and kirsch-soaked cherries.

I'm really looking forward to it. 

On 12/13/2018 at 2:47 AM, muggle not said:

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

This looks amazing! I hope you have a lovely time in Disneyland!