Your Book Activity - November 2018

Brian.

On 18.11.2018 at 11:22 AM, bobblybear said:

How was Nine Perfect Strangers, Frankie? Any good? 

It was a bit of a disappointment, I have to say. I really loved the first half of the book but then things took a turn that I personally wasn't too keen on. I did like the book but found it lacking. It's nothing compared to Big Little Lies which is my favorite. Maybe others will enjoy / will have enjoyed it more! 

Edit: I forgot to say, I'm currently reading The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp by Sarra Manning. 

Edited by frankie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Treasured Island by Frank Barrett, a literary tour of Great Britain (and Shetland).  Disappointing, rather dull, and obviously written by a southern based (and biased) writer; just 2 stars.  Now on to The Miniaturist, a reading group book (and a few more pages of Churchill!).

Edited by willoyd

7 hours ago, frankie said:

It was a bit of a disappointment, I have to say. I really loved the first half of the book but then things took a turn that I personally wasn't too keen on. I did like the book but found it lacking. It's nothing compared to Big Little Lies which is my favorite. Maybe others will enjoy / will have enjoyed it more! 

Yeah, I wasn't sure it was my kind of book, so I abstained from buying the audiobook during yesterday's sales. It had a lot of mixed reviews, and I didn't think I would be that into it.

Just now, willoyd said:

Finished Treasured Island by Frank Barrett, a literary tour of Great Britain (and Shetland).  Disappointing, rather dull, and obviously written by a southern based (and biased) writer; just 2 stars.  Now on to The Miniaturist, a reading group book (and a few more pages of Churchill ! ).

Hmm, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on The Miniaturist. I read it last year, and it wasn't at all what I expected. 

I'm almost finished with Stoner.  The first half was good, but a little flat.  Stoner himself is so PASSIVE!  He is a gentleman to whom life simply happens.  His wife treats him like doo-doo.  He is unable to speak up for his daughter.  The daughter suffers.  He is a bit of a limp lettuce in general.  And then -- the second half of the book.  Suddenly, he grows a backbone.  Part of one, at any rate.  He's still completely useless where his wife and daughter are concerned.  But this second half is gripping, in a restrained sort of way.  It won't end happily, I know that much.

Up next:  my Christmas/December reading!  Woot!

I’ve been trying to get into The Murderer’s Ape - Jacob Wegelius so months, but it’s only now that I am getting into the novel. It’s a slow burner, and with 640 pages it will take a loooong time! :lol:

So I’m reading a couple manga books for lighter reading, and my favourite manga is Laid-back Camp by Afro

Just finished Milkman. The stream of consciousness / wall of text style was different but overall I enjoyed it. I haven't ready any of the other Man Booker nominees this year. 

Just started Orhan Pamuk's Snow. I had attempted this a few years ago and didn't make much progress, so hopefully this time I will manage! 

Edited by Kafka On The Shore

21 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Up next:  my Christmas/December reading!  Woot!

I haven't heard that term in many years! W00t!!

I'm currently reading How to Survive the End of the World (When It's In Your Own Head) by Aaron Gillies. I haven't read today actually, I've been busy doing other things. But I read a bit in it yesterday, and so far it's not only very good and I recognise a lot, but it's also hilarious. Yes to British humour!

Decided this evening to delve into another crime series, this time Rebus by Ian Rankin, starting with Knots and Crosses. 

I finished Eating Smoke by Chris Thrall on Friday and while I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed by it considering the subject matter. Proper review coming up when I get back from Berlin in the middle of next week.

21 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Just this minute finished Stoner.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  The second half is far superior to the first.  4/5

One of my favourite books. It stayed with me after I'd finished it. Glad you enjoyed it.

I just finished reading Moby Dick last night. It's not as difficult as people make it out to be. It is very well written, almost like poetry when he describes the whale. I know a lot of people complain that it feels like one is reading an Encylopedia about whales rather than a novel, but I really didn't get that feeling at all. Would definitely recommend.

I am now just about to start Don Quixote - I've heard a lot about this book. 

22 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.  A really absorbing read, so I am glad I already have the two further books in the trilogy. 

I have this on my tbr, and I already read the first 100 pages or so a few years ago. I remember that I really liked it, but I don't remember why I stopped reading.

And now I'm intimidated by it's size (and of the following books in the series) :hide::blush:

Picked up this one at the library this morning - Sunny Side Up: a story of kindness and joy by Susan Calman. 

I loved her first book (Cheer Up Love: adventures in depression wth the Crab of Hate) last year. :)

On 24/11/2018 at 5:35 PM, bobblybear said:

Hmm, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on The Miniaturist. I read it last year, and it wasn't at all what I expected. 

Finished it this evening. Not quite what I expected either!  I'll try and write a review on my blog thread in the next few days.  Suffice to say for the moment that overall I found it an absorbing if slightly frustrating read and genuinely hard to put down - I read the last 200 pages in one sitting. Having said that, whilst most people preferred this to the author's second book, The Muse, I think I marginally preferred the latter.  I've given this book a strong 4 stars out of 6.

Edited by willoyd

Started East West Street by Philippe Sands, a Christmas present from last year that I've managed to overlook.  My loss.  Now 80 pages in, and completely hooked, resenting having to put it down, but at the same time needing to so that I'm able to absorb it all.  Already know that this is going to be one of the my 'books of the year'.

I’m not really good at concentrating reading at the moment, so I’m now listening audiobooks. 

Enjoying #2 Amelia Peabody series Curse of the Pharaohs

I have finished 2 books in the last few days. I enjoyed Knots & Crosses by Ian Rankin, I’ve done a little review of sorts in my book log thread. This morning I finished 168 hours by Laura Vanderkam which managed to leave me quite irritated, I plan to do a review tomorrow if I get the time. This evening I have started to read A Christmas Carol & Other Christmas Writings by Charles Dickens. This is the first writing by Dickens I’ve ever read and so far I love it. I’m already about halfway through the book so I may well manage to finish it tomorrow.

Any fans of W.Somerset Maugham here?

My bookish November finished with his “Theatre”. Currently I’m reading “The Painted Veil”, which seems a bit shorter, so, probably, I’ll finish that rather soon, as well.

I haven’t enjoyed “Theatre” as much as I have enjoyed “The Razor’s Edge”, so far my favourite by Maugham. And yet, it’s a gripping book with a substantial amount of philosophical ideas, which seem to be “the appeal factor” for me:smile:

6 hours ago, dolly said:

Any fans of W.Somerset Maugham here?

'Fan' is probably an exaggeration for me, simply because I've not read a huge amount of his work yet, but loved Cakes and Ale, and have enjoyed what else of his I've read (eg Ashenden).  Definitely a writer I want to explore more of, and do feel he's a bit underrated nowadays, simply because he's off most readers' radar.

BTW, welcome to BCF, good to see another new member!

Edited by willoyd

4 hours ago, willoyd said:

'Fan' is probably an exaggeration for me, simply because I've not read a huge amount of his work yet, but loved Cakes and Ale, and have enjoyed what else of his I've read (eg Ashenden).  Definitely a writer I want to explore more of, and do feel he's a bit underrated nowadays, simply because he's off most readers' radar.

BTW, welcome to BCF, good to see another new member!

My next Maugham will, without doubt, be “Cakes and Ale”. I, too, want to carry on with exploring his work. Who know what’s around the Maugham corner?;)

Thanks for your welcome, I’m glad to be here!

I have about 50 minutes left on The Luminaries audiobook. I've thoroughly enjoyed it although the story has sometimes been a bit convoluted.

I've also started I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong, about the microbes that live on and in us.