Your Book Activity - November 2018

Brian.

I hope no one minds, but I thought it would be a good idea to bring this back.

Last night I finished Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgway. I really didn't like it and the only reason I stuck with it was that is is quite short (280 pages).

I've got 3 books on the go at the moment. I'm dipping in and out of The Arabian Nights by Everyman's Library. It's the first book in my copy of the '1001 books' and my aim is to read it over a long period of time due to its size. I'm listening to the audio book of Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor and last night I started A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Other book related activity, I am waiting for a delivery from the Folio Society which should be due today.

So, what are you been reading this month, what have you bought?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m currently reading Doctor Who: In The Blood by Jenny T. Colgan on my kindle, Less by Andrew Sean Greer in paperback and Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman in hardback. I’m listening to The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar in audiobook.

I'll hopefully get another 50 pages or so of A Game of Thrones read this evening. I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment but I definitely feel like the TV show is effecting my reaction to it. I was never a big fan of the show but I did watch the first 6 seasons of it and I can't help but be reminded of it constantly as I read the book.

My Folio Society books arrived and are stunning, I aim to take some photo's and stick them in my book log next week for those who might be interested in what they look like.

On 7.11.2018 at 3:57 PM, Brian. said:

I hope no one minds, but I thought it would be a good idea to bring this back.

It's a must thread on the forum, I feel :D  

I just finished reading The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand, and I really enjoyed it! Perfectly flowing not too serious fiction after the non-fiction book on Trump I read before it. Not sure what to read next. 

14 hours ago, frankie said:

It's a must thread on the forum, I feel :D  

Definitely!

I'm currently reading Churchill by Roy Jenkins in hard copy.  It's humungous, so is going to take me a while.  I'm also reading, on the Kindle, the next book in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, The Surgeon's Mate, not least because the Jenkins book is far too heavy to carry round with me. 

Acquisitions so far this month include:

Vietnam by Max Hastings (good offer on at WH Smith)

The Book by Keith Houston

Traveller's in the Third Reich by Julia Boyd (Waterstone's BOGOHP)

The Sealwoman's Gift by Sally Magnusson (next group read, BOGOHP)

Hmmmm - I thought I was cutting back on book buying!

16 hours ago, Brian. said:

My Folio Society books arrived and are stunning, I aim to take some photo's and stick them in my book log next week for those who might be interested in what they look like.

Yes please. Have been an avid collector for years. I must admit, that I'm buying less new stuff nowadays with price rises and reduced income (retired!), and am slimming down a bit too, but have a collection of favourites which I love, and which I do occasionally add to.

Just started reading manga Flying Witch Vol. 2 by Chihiro Ishizuka - a very sweet and gentle, slice-of-life story of a 15 year old girl’s life in rural north Japan. Who happens to be a witch in training… ☺️

I just started reading Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I am only about 4% into the book and am loving it already. I can see where it is such a big hit in the U.S. Reese Witherspoon said that she liked the book so much that she didn't want it to end.

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Just started reading manga Flying Witch Vol. 2 by Chihiro Ishizuka - a very sweet and gentle, slice-of-life story of a 15 year old girl’s life in rural north Japan. Who happens to be a witch in training… ☺️

Ooh, sounds good. :D Is it similar to Kiki`s Delivery Service ? :)

2 hours ago, muggle not said:

I just started reading Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I am only about 4% into the book and am loving it already. I can see where it is such a big hit in the U.S. Reese Witherspoon said that she liked the book so much that she didn't want it to end.

Like the sound of that, Muggle ... I'll look it up :)

11 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, sounds good. :D Is it similar to Kiki`s Delivery Service ? :)

Yes, it's very similar to Kiki's Delivery Service, but much slower with the story-line...and our young witch has a black cat :) and a broom (though her broom skills are....hazardous :blush:) .

The whole of the manga is very sweet - with beautiful illustrations, and everyone is pleasant to everyone, so far. It sounds very dull, but I loved the first of the series, and it just made me feel warm and fuzzy after reading it. :smile2: 

7 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yes, it's very similar to Kiki's Delivery Service, but much slower with the story-line...and our young witch has a black cat :) and a broom (though her broom skills are....hazardous :blush:) .

The whole of the manga is very sweet - with beautiful illustrations, and everyone is pleasant to everyone, so far. It sounds very dull, but I loved the first of the series, and it just made me feel warm and fuzzy after reading it. :smile2: 

I had a look on Amazon and it does look cute. :D

22 hours ago, muggle not said:

20 hours ago, poppy said:

Like the sound of that, Muggle ... I'll look it up :)

Please check it out on Amazon. I think you would like the book. I am now 30% into the book and it may be my best read so far this year (excluding Dickens, of course). It is a 5 star book on Amazon.

Reading at the mo.

Company in the Evenings - Ursula Orange 57% . A lovely comfort read, about a middle class divorced woman (living with her 4 year old daughter) and her 19 year old sister in law (who is pregnant, plus was windowed during in 1940). 

Flying Witch Vol. 2  - Chihiro Ishizuka 31%

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, muggle not said:

Please check it out on Amazon. I think you would like the book. I am now 30% into the book and it may be my best read so far this year (excluding Dickens, of course). It is a 5 star book on Amazon.

I've put it on my Kindle shopping list, thanks Muggle :)

• Athena pinned this topic

I have finished Game of Thrones, I will put a proper review of sorts in my thread but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I’m not sure what I will read next but I am leaning towards something non-fiction. 

Reading manga at the moment.

Laid-Back Camp: 1 by Afro. Amazon says "Setting up a tent, starting a fire, and eating noodles with Mt. Fuji in view...Rin and Nadeshiko absolutely love to camp! Enjoy their zest for travel and maybe even pick up a tip or two about roughing it in the great outdoors. You might just want to go camping yourself!"

Well my plan to read a non-fiction book next has gone out of the window after browsing my kindle TBR. I didn't realise I had a copy of The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell on it so I just have to read that next. I'll be sad to reach the end of the Wallander series but I guess all good things must come to an end.

Edited by Brian.