Share your memories

Michelle

I've met so many friends here! You, Michelle, Kell, Nollaig, Abby, Kat, Chrissy, Kylie, and so many more! I remember drama with certain members, fun contests, banning spammers, the Jane Austen group read...but most of all, I remember the amazing support of the BCF members. :smile2:

That's difficult.. I actually think one of my best memories was from back in the very early days. I contacted some authors to ask if they would support our new forum, with either an interview or a competition prize, and all of them were wonderful and helpful. 

In general, as Echo said, I've made some great, supportive people on here, which will always stay with me. 

Bad memories - definitely the two occasions we were trolled.. both lead by the same person. Back then I didn't have the experience or confidence to deal properly with the situation, and I had people turn against me for it. He probably had fun, but it caused me a lot of stress and upset. However.. I also had amazing support from other people on here, so there was good too. :)

This forum has been great it many ways and not just about books. Folk have been very supportive in my times of need in bereavement too via my blog section on here. We have had a few laughs along the way too. I it is lovely you have/are creating a new home for us though on Facebook where we can keep up our chats all things bookie and more....will miss this though...

I remember we even had a bookswap at some point too.

Edited by Inver

On 04/08/2018 at 12:28 AM, Raven said:

I remember that time a ferret got loose and chased Jane Austin around the Classics forum; my, how we laughed!

😂 Sounds like something from a Jasper Fforde book! I must have been away the day that happened. Will you be joining us on FB, Raven? I would guess that you're not a fan of FB, but you could just make a new account for us especially?

I remember the Jane Austen book circle too. I haven't re-read Austen since then, even though I loved every one of the books!

My favourite memory would have to be something that took place outside of BCF: meeting @frankie in real life and having her spend a couple of months with me. I would never have met my bestie and had that opportunity if it weren't this forum, and I'll be forever grateful to @Michelle for making this happen. :)

In general, I just have loads of good memories of book chat and supportive friends, especially in the depression thread when I was going through a really bad time in my life. And the excitement of reading everyone's new threads at the beginning of each year.

And then there's the class clown, @Raven. I never knew why we let him in or let him stick around. :P But he's been good value, I suppose. ;)

29 minutes ago, Kylie said:

My favourite memory would have to be something that took place outside of BCF: meeting @frankie in real life and having her spend a couple of months with me. I would never have met my bestie and had that opportunity if it weren't this forum, and I'll be forever grateful to @Michelle for making this happen. :)

:wub:  I think that's so lovely.  

I have met some lovely people from here.  I'm so lucky to regularly meet up with @poppyshake  and  @chesilbeach and I meet @Michelle every few years when I go up to Kent.  I've also met @Chrissy and @Nici(but I don't think she's on here any more), albeit a long time ago.  Such fond memories.  :)  (I think that's it, but sincere apologies if I've forgotten anybody.).

I also exchange Christmas cards with a few members.  :)

Behind the scenes, the Admins/Staff used to do a Secret Santa, which was always fun. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, Michelle said:

That's difficult.. I actually think one of my best memories was from back in the very early days. I contacted some authors to ask if they would support our new forum, with either an interview or a competition prize, and all of them were wonderful and helpful. 

In general, as Echo said, I've made some great, supportive people on here, which will always stay with me. 

Bad memories - definitely the two occasions we were trolled.. both lead by the same person. Back then I didn't have the experience or confidence to deal properly with the situation, and I had people turn against me for it. He probably had fun, but it caused me a lot of stress and upset. However.. I also had amazing support from other people on here, so there was good too. :)

Actually the guy causing the problems made a fool out of himself. You had more supporters than you realize.

On another note I wonder how many posts have been made in the Never Ending Song Title thread. I think there are many, many. :)

• 1 month later...
On 8.8.2018 at 9:05 PM, Kylie said:

Very obviously, this is my favorite memory, too! :friends3:  The time we spent together was amazing! You were such a fabulous hostess and your family's amazing, too! :flowers2: I never ever would have met you if it wasn't for the forum, and that's a very scary thought. Who knew I would would meet my soul sister on the opposite side of the world :wub:  

My fondest memories of the forum are the friendships I've made, and the times we've talked about books, and gone off-topic, too. I loved the times of the Deaverettes and Dexterettes :lol:  I also enjoyed the Reading Circle, I got to read some great books through that. 

I am grateful for all the book suggestions and recommendations and all the conversations. It's 10 years since I joined and so much stuff can go into 10 years. 

Missed this:

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Kylie said:

😂 Sounds like something from a Jasper Fforde book! I must have been away the day that happened.

Fforde stole it from me.

And then there's the class clown, @Raven. I never knew why we let him in or let him stick around. :P But he's been good value, I suppose. ;)

Well, they do say the best things in life are free... (although in your case, I suspect that when you are sitting in your library, amongst all your books, that probably gets subverted to "The best things in life are dead trees."

Will you be joining us on FB, Raven? I would guess that you're not a fan of FB, but you could just make a new account for us especially?

I'm not on Facebook, and no amount of money could convince me to join! (may be open to tests of my resolve if anyone has a million or two they aren't doing anything with, however...).

So to everyone here who has made the place interesting and fun - and what the hell, as we're closing down - to all those who have been tedious and dull*, I guess this is goodbye.

So, goodbye!

*There weren't many of them and they didn't tend to stick around for long!