Saving content

Michelle

So far I have one possible idea for saving threads. There's some free software for Macs called SiteSucker. You simply paste the website address in, and it downloads and saves the webpages to your computer. You can go to extremes and save the entire website this way (I accidentally started doing that, and stopped when it got to several GBs), or you can play with the settings and download, say, one thread (but I think it only downloads that one particular page of the thread unless you tell it to download everything linked to on that page). I'm trying to get my head around it and find the best way to efficiently download what I want. Anyway, it's a possible option for Mac users.

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone getting on with saving content? I don't want to keep this going for ages if everyone is ok, but I don't want to shut it if people are still trying to get their content.

@Kylie how easy is SiteSucker to use? I mainly want to save the author interviews, as I have my reading records saved in LT.

Has anyone else found anything good?

I have tried searching, but to no avail.  I have also tried copying/pasting to save my blogs, but that turned out to be too much like hard work as of course it copies everything - so I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be saving anything. :)

@Michelle, I've been playing with my software and I'm starting to get the hang of it a little, although it saves an awful lot of rubbish, which I then have to go through and delete. Still, it's better than nothing! It took me a little while, but I've managed to get all of my own reading logs done, so saving the author interviews for you will be a piece of cake. I'm going to try and do a download of the whole site; I'm pretty sure my computer has the space for it! Then I'll look into setting up a Dropbox or similar for you and others to access. I probably won't be able to store everything there at once, but if people contact me and request certain things (like @Janet's reading logs), I can put them in there and that person can copy them out. How does that sound?

On 13/08/2018 at 10:59 AM, Athena said:

I'm saving content I want to keep, as HTML manually, but I'm not done yet. I have my recent reviews as documents (.txt) on the computer, but not my older stuff (yet).

That's what I was intending to do, just for all my reading blogs over the years, which are all thankfully quite short. (Finally there's an advantage to being a slow reader!) I've made a tiny start but it's a bit laborious.

I've just been right clicking the web pages and choosing "Save Page As". It then very slowly saves the webpage and a folder for all the images etc. You can view them offline in a web browser. Obviously once the site goes down any internal (BCF) links on those pages won't work.

Edited by ~Andrea~

On 12/08/2018 at 9:07 PM, Michelle said:

How's everyone getting on with saving content? I don't want to keep this going for ages if everyone is ok, but I don't want to shut it if people are still trying to get their content.

When you say you don't want to keep this going for ages, do you mean the forum itself?

• 1 month later...
I need to find out how people are getting on saving their content please. There is now a security update for the software, but to install that we need to install a massive new upgrade, which we wanted to avoid. But, we can't leave the forum with a security issue for too long in case it compromises the server.

So, if everyone has what they need, we can start the process to close completely, and delete the forum. But if anyone is still having issues, we need to know.

Thank you!

I still need to save PM threads. I tried earlier but the format clashed with Open Office, after I'd already done a lot of work on saving stuff. I need to start again. How long would you say one had before you'd have to do the upgrade?  I'll be working on saving content this weekend, luckily I have nothing else planned and have the flu so don't even have to go to work.