General questions / discussions

Michelle

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone.. I just wanted to emphasise that I do know there will be some disappointment about the closure, but there is so much which has needed to be done to keep things running smoothly, and it does feel the right time to make this change. I am sorry for the disappointment though. 

Wow I am very sad this had to happen, this has felt like a safe place and a home for a lot of years. I won't be joining the facebook group but I have some time to swap emails with people.  

I know the facebook group won't be for everyone, but it's something we can offer. There's no rush at the moment to close down completely, so there's time to collect what you need. 

It has, on the whole, been a safe and happy place, but I can't keep up with everything which needs doing to make it that way I'm afraid. 

Was a wee bit shocked to see this, but totally understand how it has come about. I've found things have been getting quieter on here over time too. I'm probably guilty too of not poppin in as much as I used to. Such a shame. This is has so much fun to be part of all this and have really enjoyed adding my bookie comments on here and having a place to make my lists of books read/to read etc etc.

Thanking you Michelle and all the admin involved in keeping this running for as long as you have..:flowers2:

This is a shame, I don't do Facebook much so might look in from time to time, I'm on another forum which is a lot quieter than this one and still carries on, still I suspect the spammers may also have some thing to do with your decision?

Thanks to the mods though for all their work.

When I was younger I helped run a football forum which was one of the most popular ones on the net at the time. It took a lot of time and I know that the guy running it spent a lot of time, effort, and money to keep it going as long as he did. I had a feeling that this was going to happen sooner or later to BCF so I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has been part of the running of the forum and the members who have made it the place it is. This place still remains the most friendly and welcoming forum on the net I have ever come across.

Absolutely gutted; I feel I'm losing a whole set of friends and acquaintances.  I hate Facebook with a passion - it's a particularly unfriendly environment for anything but the instant and temporary, the complete antithesis of reading and books, and is equally unfriendly to use.  This has been a wonderful oasis of calm, interesting, and thoughtful discussion, and sharing of an interest beyond the parochial, and a hugely useful resource. It will be a massive, massive loss.  I'm so sorry that you feel it is necessary.  Best wishes to all.

Sadly though, it's not such an oasis when you're trying to actually run it - it has taken an amazing amount of time and effort, and more and more technical knowledge; it has worn me down emotionally on more than one occasion; and it has cost me money. It's just not possible for me to keep that going. 

I'm aware facebook isn't for everyone.. it's not a replacement, just a simple way to allow people to keep in touch, and continue discussing their reading if they so wish. There are still other book forums around, and it's always possible for you to start up your own. 

I so appreciate that Michelle, and there's not an ounce of criticism intended. I completely understand where you're coming from, and a massive thank you to you and the moderating team for keeping such a wonderful forum going.  Still very sad though, which is what I was trying to express.  I've explored one or two other forums in the past, and none have come close in terms of what you have provided over (for me) the past almost decade  (one was lovely, but as Madeleine says it only just about carries on).  I hope you don't mind if I ask you, and others, what forum(s) you'd suggest (if any).  I will look in on the facebook page - I hate it, but it seems impossible to keep in touch with things nowadays if one doesn't at least look occasionally, but as you say, it's not a replacement.

I have probably missed it - but when will you be taking the forum off line please?  There's a lot of history here (reviews for starters!) that I'm trying to copy, and wonder what sort of deadline I'm up against.

I can't say enough about the tremendous job you have done over the years, Michelle. I was honored to be part of the Mod team, and I have met some lifelong friends here on the forum. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm excited to be part of the future of BCF. The community that has been created here will last for years to come! :friends3:

I am very sad to see the forum end. I will miss everyone. Thanks Michelle for everything that you have done to keep the forum going up to this point. I wish the best to Michelle, the moderators, and all the forum members.

So sad to see this news. BCF has been a part of my life for such a long time and I've met and made friends with such a wonderful bunch of people over the time. Thank you so much Michelle and mods for all your hard work and for running such a lovely friendly place to visit. Can totally understand how running a forum could wear you down and great that we can still keep in touch with many members on Facebook. Sad for the ones we will lose though.

Very sad news. Saying goodbye to those who won't be joining the FB group is so tough.

Thank you to everyone, from Michelle through the Admins & Mods to all the BCF members past and present. It has been wonderful to have been a part of the forum. 

For those of you who will not have further contact. Thank you for becoming such a positive part of my life. Live well, laugh long and may your years be filled with peace and happiness. Enjoy your reading. :flowers2:I shall think of you often. 

Will has pretty much said it all.  I didn't realise how much work goes into running a forum like this, so thanks again for all your hard work.  I will look in on Facebook from time to time but I don't generally use it that much, and I certainly wouldn't put reviews etc on there.  I just find it very unfriendly and impersonal.

Hopefully see some of you though!