Hello peeps

Titus Groan

Hi 

I’m a boring 20 something student of History. I’m from England and I’ve always been a reader. 

I have aspergers and my special interest has always been books and authors. I have a huge list of authors including their nationality and birth and death dates that I have to keep under my bed at all times. The list starts with Hesiod and goes up to Helen Oyeyemi. 

My favourite genre is possibly horror even though I will read any and all genres. Im a huge fan of Steinbeck, Ramsey Campbell, Octavia Butler, Mervyn Peake, William Golding, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte and Neil Gaiman. 

I would like to work in a bookstore store but my social skills and aspergers has made getting a job impossible for me so far.

I read because I want to be taken away from where I am and I have always found it a way to ease the pain. I also read poetry and history. 

My favorite book of all of all time is Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake. 

Hello and welcome to the forum! :smile2: I wasn't surprised to read about your favorite book, going by your username :D I've started reading the trilogy, but only managed maybe 40 pages before something else came along and I was unable to finish. Something tells me, though, that I'm going to love the trilogy!

Thanks. 

If if you don’t enjoy lots of purple prose and lots of descriptions you might struggle with enjoying them. They’re a slow burn. Also even among people who love the trilogy the 3rd one which is my favourite is always considered by far the worst one but I love it. 

Welcome here :)! I have autism too (HFA in my case). Reading is my special interest also, though I can't hyperfocus like a lot of other people with autism can (because I also have ADD). I hope to see you around the forum :). We don't have a lot of favourite authors in common but it's always nice to 'meet' someone who also has autism :).

I enjoyed the first book in the Gormenghast trilogy, quite liked the second one although I skim read a lot of the stuff about the teachers, which seemed to go on forever, and sort of looked at the 3rd book (I have an omnibus edition) and couldn't face reading it, I have heard it's the weakest book in the trilogy, I gather it was written under difficult circumstances due to the author's poor health.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I bet you're not boring at all!

There are some great authors in your favourites list there!

I wish you luck in your desire to work in a bookshop! I hope you can find something that suits you and your individual challenges.

On 21/07/2018 at 3:26 PM, Titus Groan said:

Hi 

I’m a boring 20 something student of History. I’m from England and I’ve always been a reader. 

My favourite genre is possibly horror even though I will read any and all genres. Im a huge fan of Steinbeck, Ramsey Campbell, Octavia Butler, Mervyn Peake, William Golding, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte and Neil Gaiman. 

My favorite book of all of all time is Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake. 

Hmmm - history student and with a list of favourite authors like that - doesn't sound in the least boring to me.  Dickens and Bronte are both favourites of mine too, and I've relatively recently 'discovered' Steinbeck, particularly some of his non-fiction.  Golding's an interesting one - absolutely hated Lord of the Flies when we read it at school, but after a few decades recently forced myself to reread it to find that my thoughts had turned round almost 180 degrees.  Followed by The Spire, he's definitely growing on me; next up Rites of Passage.  Yet to explore the joys of Peake, but the first book is part of a reading challenge I'm doing with other members of the forum, so looking forward to that.  Purple prose, plenty of description, slow burn - sounds right up my street.

Welcome to the forum - I look forward to your contributions. In th meantime, would be interested to know what you would recommend to read of your authors list if coming to them for the first time - there's one or two others there that I've yet to tackle  (BTW, the book blog threads are probably the best to explore to get to know people here better).

Edited by willoyd